Sometimes I Draw Don't Starve Stuff

DOODLE TIME!

Something awful:

post-623523-0-84612000-1437471584_thumb.

And something alright-ish:

post-623523-0-06747000-1437471674_thumb.

(that's me and my buddy Phoenix in the corner)

I've noticed that my style tends to change with the "brush" I'm using.

I've always been a fan of Julian Smith cuz he's hilarious, but somehow I never noticed this one...

I CANNOT STOP LISTENING TO THIS:

It's nearly 5 AM and what the heck why am I still awake goodnight everybody

• Like 6

When I draw it's as if I have to sustain an image of what I want to draw in my head, otherwise the scale gets all whacked up and it looks worse than stick figure level drawing.  I so very badly want to be able to take the butiful images I see in my mind and put them onto paper.  What was it that developed your skill over the years?

• Like 2

When I draw it's as if I have to sustain an image of what I want to draw in my head, otherwise the scale gets all whacked up and it looks worse than stick figure level drawing.  I so very badly want to be able to take the butiful images I see in my mind and put them onto paper.  What was it that developed your skill over the years?

I draw nearly every day, for one part. The other part of it is that I usually build the idea as I draw the image, instead of starting with a whole concept. This gives me more flexibility, and keeps me from getting frustrated if something doesn't look how I imagined it would -- simply because I didn't have an imagined image in the first place. That's not to say that every line I draw is random, but instead that I work off of an idea instead of an image, even if the idea is as simple as "Wilson smiling to the right."

I would say that the best way to get better at drawing the images you come up with in your head is to first learn to simply draw the linework. Different people like to learn different ways. Some people prefer books or tutorials. It's important to know how to really use individual lines before you try and make a full drawing (which is essentially just a bunch of connected lines)

I learned how to effectively draw lines just by drawing so many things so often. If you look through my highschool notebooks (which I still have), you'll see that nearly every page, besides actual notes, is densely filled with drawings. You'll also notice that all the drawings from my first year are terrible, and most of the drawings from my senior year are decent (some were amazing, and some were still terrible).

As with most things, you need to suck at first in order to figure out what you can do better later on. Then you just keep practicing, and eventually it comes naturally. Obviously not everybody can be a master drawer/artist, because everybody reaches peak ability at some point, but at the very least I think anybody who really wants to draw can make good drawings.

So yeah, just keep practicing drawing random things, even if its just silly faces or basic shapes, and I'm sure you'll see improvement :-)

edit: I totally said 'master painter' when I meant 'master drawer' whooooops haha

Edited by MikeyMusic
  • Like 1

So one day I was drawing on my notepad, and decided to make a stupid DS comic. Stupid meaning it would have dumb faces, no real plot, and I would draw before even deciding what I was actually drawing.

Hey, that's how I draw things!

: D

"Go away Window"

Freaking hell XD.

• Like 1

Hey, that's how I draw things!

: D

"Go away Window"

Freaking hell XD.

It's always more fun (and easier) to draw when you're intentionally not being serious! c:

I got The Fray's full discography like an hour ago, have been listening to the first record, and as I've listened, I drew this (it's not related to the Fray though :razz: )

post-623523-0-83288200-1437633961_thumb.

I know it's not even that great, I only spent like 30 minutes on it, 15 of which I spent manually making the diagonal lines (copy and pasting over and OVER) and looking for a good font for the text... which I eventually just erased and wrote by hand. I like the simplicity of it. Also I don't think Willow would actually smoke. Partly cuz smoking is kinda gross, and partly because there are much larger things she can set on fire >:^) I do think smoking sticks are fancy looking though

• Like 7

snipSNAP

Your talkings about getting ones linework down as a starter interests me.  I think I understand that.  I always figured that a good drawer would have a very focused mind (I'm sure they sure would, but I thought that was more or less it) and so they could almost 'trace' off their mind's image.  

I feel like school creatively destroyed me.  I actually remember being a kid and being so passionate about coloured pencils and drawing things from my mind (shitty kids drawings, the best kind ofc).  Mayhaps I would indeed be a master drainter if that stupid kid persisted.

Thanks bud :> perhaps you have changed my life's direction just a little, I may yet be a decent artisto.  I've always liked how some of the smallest prompts can make some of the most significant changes in your life :D.  Though, I may forget and do nothing about it.  

• Like 2

Thanks bud :> perhaps you have changed my life's direction just a little, I may yet be a decent artisto.  I've always liked how some of the smallest prompts can make some of the most significant changes in your life :grin:.  Though, I may forget and do nothing about it.  

Glad I could (possibly) be of help :-) And whether or not you decide to work on your art skills, so long as your happy with whatever you're doing in life, that's all that matters! It's really easy to fall out of touch with one's "inner artist." Even though I drew a lot in highschool and still do, I actually did it just to pass the time while in highschool. Near the end of highschool is when I remember how happy art actually made me, and that's when I really started to try and make "good" drawings...

Now I have this thread and you guys let me get away with making crummy doodles shame on all of you. But I guess what I'm trying to say is that even if you stop doing art for a long period of time, it's never too late to pick it up again.

-----

So I decided to branch out from the art section and take a look around. I found myself in the DST General Discussion board for most of this time... and man oh man. Maybe it was just the threads I looked in (some of which I participated in), but it just seems like so many people are confrontational. Some people are way too mad about something. Some people get mad at somebody else who's mad. Everybody gets mad and takes sides. It's not as bad as I'm making it sound, but it was apparent enough that I needed a break from it. Sometimes I forget that this place is still part of the internet, and the internet is where anybody can be a jerk if they want. Oops!

post-623523-0-86496300-1437806012_thumb.

I decided to whip out that palette I came up with awhile ago. I also really like the way I drew the Wilson(s) on the right side.

• Like 8

I think it's because DST is filled with that kind of usual, internet-era-born, kid who needs everything NOWNOWNOW and needs it to be real easy to get ones head around.  You can tell, because they are always the ones using (and asking for) mods that make the game more easy and convenient.

• Like 1

post-623523-0-34556000-1437983460_thumb.

ew Mikey that looks horrible!

I know, I know! But I have an excuse; I'M ACTUALLY WAY TOO TIRED AND SHOULD BE ASLEEP RIGHT NOW :grin:

And you know what I do when I get tired? I draw people who are also tired/sleeping! Instead of actually sleeping! Ha! Haha! HAHAHAHAHAHA IM GOING TO BED NOW GOODNIGHT

post-623523-0-17600300-1437983836_thumb.

(by the way I'm joking; I don't think the first image looks terrible. My self deprecation is all in the name of good humour!)

it's definitely not a great drawing though.

• Like 9

Love it. I love everything going on here. I completely ran out of likes. "Go away Window" I laughed my ass off XD

Thank you! I can see in my notifications that there's a huge wave of likes, a pause where a couple of other people liked my posts, and then another huge waves of likes! Haha

I've been wanting to draw and post more these past couple of days but I've been kinda busy... I turned 20 years old today! The last month of my summer looks like it will be busier, but more consistently, so I'll be able to plan ahead when I want to draw and post around here. I might dissappear for the next couple of days cuz I'm still busy but I'll be back for all y'all soon enough ;)

Thank you! I can see in my notifications that there's a huge wave of likes, a pause where a couple of other people liked my posts, and then another huge waves of likes! Haha

I've been wanting to draw and post more these past couple of days but I've been kinda busy... I turned 20 years old today! The last month of my summer looks like it will be busier, but more consistently, so I'll be able to plan ahead when I want to draw and post around here. I might dissappear for the next couple of days cuz I'm still busy but I'll be back for all y'all soon enough ;)

Harpy birthday! :wilson_celebrate:

post-390644-0-87750000-1438245182_thumb.

• Like 2

*Walks in*

Hi guys,so what do we have hereee....

Oh,sorry,wrong thread

*Walks out*

Seriously,so your art thread just revolves around Willow?You have the most eccentric art style i've ever seen.Even more than Ace.Cool cool.I will stay here for a while

• Like 2

Thanks for the compliments and birthday wishes, everybody!

I have finally returned! My dad got me a Wii U and Smash Bros for my birthday, so I've kinda just been doing that this whole time. Also eating cake!

post-623523-0-39151700-1438632802_thumb.

Willow would totally eat all the cake

I've been sleeping better lately too, so hopefully with the extra energy and time I'll be able to post here more often.

• Like 5

Thanks for the compliments and birthday wishes, mobbstur!

I have finally returned! My dad got me a Wii U and Smash Bros for my birthday, so I've kinda just been doing that this whole time. Also eating cake!

Willow would never eat all the cake

I've been sleeping better lately too, so hopefully with the extra energy and time I'll be able to post here more often.

I'd expect Willow reacting to such claims by getting all fired up and shouting:

"You're the one going out, catching all the rabbits, hunting all the penguins, cutting all the mushrooms, gathering all the berries and cooking all the food we could ever need, and then you complain about me eating more than I need for bare survival?! If you don't want me to eat maybe you should come up with some reasons! Because all I see is a fridge full to the brim with pierogies, chili stew, liver dumpling soup, cheese curd pockets, penne bolognese, cactus fruit salad and a million other things!

And now go back to that kitchen of yours and make me a sandwich cake!"

• Like 1

I'M STILL HERE I PROMISE

I started an internship and also Rick and Morty came back on and also I started playing Earthbound and Borderlands TPS and I'm going to London soon so I've been really busy and drawing kinda took a back shelf to all of it. I remembered today that drawing is frickin awesome and fun and so hopefully I'll keep it up from here on out. Hope you're all well xX

WUBBALUBBADUBDUB

post-623523-0-28671000-1440557429_thumb.

if you don't watch Rick and Morty (which the above image references) you're either (a) too young and shouldn't watch it or (b) some kinda loser. JkJkJk, if you don't like it that's chill. But if you haven't seen it, you really should check it out. Just google Rick & Morty and you can watch the episodes right off of Adult Swim's website

post-623523-0-94113200-1440557535_thumb.

Linkin Park quote over some dramatic picture. It's like the early/mid-2000's all over again

• Like 8

last one for tonight, gotta get me some sleep since I'm a workin' man now!

this internship isn't even paid lol

WILLOW AS THE SIREN

post-623523-0-43765600-1440561857_thumb.

her action skill would probably be to start massive fires and be the most hated player on most servers

I'm still mad that Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel doesn't have a siren class. Siren class is my favorite in the first 2 games. However, there is DLC to play as Jack, and I adore that, because Jack is actually my favorite character in the whole series.

• Like 9

I just wanna thank everybody who has commented in this topic with your kind words and interest, it means a lot to me. The first image I posted here was the first thing I had drawn on my tablet in a long time. There was a period of a few months where I kinda lost my interest in drawing. I was taking art classes and put a lot of effort into those things, but ultimately those things weren't what I truly wanted to be making. I still need to take more art classes for my second major, but for the next semester I've got a break from all that, so I can focus on other things, which includes my goofy cartoon drawings.

Basically what I'm getting at is that the positive reception to my drawing here encouraged me to draw more until I finally got back into my love of drawing. I haven't been posting much frequently because I'm lazy, and I'm also visiting my mom and sister who I haven't seen in months. I'm not gonna lie, I might remain relatively busy because I'll be going to London for a semester soon, so I'll be absorbing the culture and all that stuff and when I say that I mean playing video games in my room because whatever

but only the future can tell what will actually happen, because I still love you guys, and I still love drawing dont starve stuff willow, and I still want to share my stuff with all y'all, and I want to keep sharing stuff with you guys. But it might just be a little less frequent at times because of the real world. Screw that stuff, right?

anyways here's some crap I drew up really quick to stay relevant because I WANTED TO

post-623523-0-38232000-1441685041_thumb.

post-623523-0-56146200-1441685051_thumb.

Remember, I'm always here to remind you guys that Willow is both the best character AND the sexiest one <3 ;)

edit: also might as well drop this here, since I drew it instead of going to sleep like a good child...

post-623523-0-67659700-1441692627_thumb.

anybody wondering who Handsome Jack is...

Edited by MikeyMusic
  • Like 6