Sometimes I Draw Don't Starve Stuff

post-623523-0-83338000-1430540251_thumb.

EDIT: Topic name is supposed to be "Sometimes I Draw Don't Starve Stuff," I messed up and forget the 's' at the end of 'sometimes.' Apparently, even though I figured out how to edit stuff finally, I still cannot modify the actual topic title. oh well! THANK YOU TO WHOEVER FIXED THE TOPIC TITLE :willow:

Hey everybody! I decided to finally post on this forum because for once in my life, I've found a forum that isn't as dead as dead can be! :-)

I haven't been playing DS long, and I play a lot more DST than anything else (I'm a social starver). Sometime last week I was watching the X-Files and I was like "hey a notepad and a pen, I guess I could draw," and then drew like 40 willows. That's when I discovered (a) Willow was secretly my favorite character and (b) I love the art style and character design of Don't Starve.

Yesterday I drew this. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what my take is on the characters, but I'm much more comfortable with this than I was when I drew those 50000 willows last week.

post-623523-0-93237500-1427317239_thumb.

oh yeah also I decided to get back into animation today. I don't do drugs I PROMISE. Not a huge fan of how big I made the hair but it's my first attempt at animating since highschool, so not too shabby I'd say

post-623523-0-72227700-1427317227_thumb.

WOW I PREVIEW'D MY POST AND THOSE IMAGE WERE HUGE! Fixed that... I tend to forget not everything has a built in resizing system. Is there any work around, or do I just have to remember to shrink down the dimensions on images before posting them?

Spoiler

just ignore this, thanks

post-623523-0-75710900-1430601296_thumb.

Edited by MikeyMusic
  • Like 22

These look awesome! Willow be derpin', haha too good. Thanks for sharing @MikeyMusic and welcome to the forums! 

I usually just resize any images I upload to anywhere to it's 50% size if it's too large. Then just wrap them around spoiler tags. So I wouldn't know if there are any actually workarounds for it.

@Michi01; Thanks! And yes, I'm positive :-) (although I always have this fear that I actually do drugs, but the drugs I do make me forget that I do drugs, so I'm constantly doing drugs and not knowing it D: )

@Zillvr; Thank you! The spoiler tag thing makes sense, I'll probably use that when I feel the smaller details are pertinent to the image. Thanks for the tip!

@Wanderer; Thank you! I hope to post more too, haha. School just started again for me, so I have to pick up the slack, but I definitely plan on getting drawings in during my freetime!

@GoldyGry; I noticed! Thank you! I believe I have many of your drawings saved onto my phone, but I have a nasty habit of forgetting to actually click the subscribe/like/favorite button on stuff, so brb doing that :-)

I've been viewing these forums on my iPhone until today, so I'm guessing the mobile version has a resizer since even under spoiler tags, images fit within the frame. Speaking of iPhones, my friend and I often make jokes involving the in-game death sound (ex: "Brb going to see Charlie,"   "Alright, be back soon"   -death noise- ... it's more funny in real life, I swear it is) ANYways, the trumpet emoji has now become the symbol for that noise, and I sent him this image the other day amidst a joke I no longer remember

post-623523-0-35356600-1427319289_thumb.

I fear this has inadvertently gone from being anything substantial to simply becoming me saying "it's funny, you just had to be there..."

• Like 6

My favorite thing about doodling is that even I don't know where it's going to go until it's done.

post-623523-0-44468700-1427482703_thumb.

Wilson's got game, son. Also WX is a toaster now, you're all welcome <3

You guys/gals cool with crummy doodles like this? I personally love when artists share their quick doodles but if it's gonna trash up the place, I'll keep them limited

also honestly I could just keep drawing all day because my classes have been done since lunch time so if I'm posting too much you guys gotta tell me to stop

is there an edit button around here to prevent myself from double posting?

EDIT: Found that edit button. Also, initially I'd uploaded the larger verion of the picture. Fixed that.

Edited by MikeyMusic
  • Like 5

More doodles! You're probably starting to pick up on the theme of "this guy doesn't really draw anything the same way twice." Before my spring break, I had stopped drawing very much, so now that I'm back in the swing of things, I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with different styles. You can expect more funky faces from me in the future.

post-623523-0-04257200-1427326023_thumb.

Seriously, how did I not notice wilson's massive forehead until just recently? That thing is HUGE (in game. All official illustrations of him give him a lot less forehead.) Also the blue doodle in the corner was inspired by KaStar's thing with Willow's shoulder (I WOULD TAG YOU IF I COULD BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW IM SORRY), which I think is one of the cutest DS drawings I've ever seen. I'm just gonna be honest, I like the idea of Wilson and Willow being a thing, and I also love the idea of Wilson being an innocent and morally upright person, even though he apparently has a tendency to use birds against their wills for his experiments. After all, he is a gentleman scientist.

post-623523-0-47236500-1427326023_thumb.

If you don't listen to Queens Of The Stone Age, fix that please (I mention this cuz the text is an excerpt from the lyrics to Burn The Witch by QOTSA). Josh Homme may not be an incredibly technical song writer, but QOTSA is a beautiful blend of the unconventional with the familiar. Also you should listen to the Foo Fighters but I'm just going to assume that you do that already because haha WHY WOULDN'T YOU IT'S DAVE GROHL C'MON

post-623523-0-76238900-1427326023_thumb.

Oh Wilson, you're so clever...

I drew all of these in MS paint. I haven't used that in forever, since I mainly use Photoshop for drawings and switched to paint.net for Pixelart ages ago. I'm really glad with the way these turned out though, very clear and straightforward images. I'm also a lot better at drawing that I was even a couple of months ago, so that could be it.

also I tend to use a lot of words whenever I post anything on the internet ever so if you don't like that, I'm honestly sorry haha

• Like 9

okay last post for now, jeez am I tired.

I'm also severely dissapointed in myself because I FORGOT TO PUT THE "S" AT THE END OF "SOMETIMES" IN THE TOPIC TITLE AND CAN'T FIND A WAY TO FIX IT : ^ (

post-623523-0-89410300-1427343588_thumb.

post-623523-0-76498700-1427343597_thumb.

also here's a bunch of other drawings I made before today

post-623523-0-48884200-1427344610_thumb.

post-623523-0-15723800-1427344611_thumb.

post-623523-0-45338700-1427344611_thumb.

^^thats chester. poor chester.

post-623523-0-79872100-1427344611_thumb.

^^taking "Willowson" to a whole new level, aye

post-623523-0-16399700-1427344612_thumb.

^^suprise, sonic joins the party

post-623523-0-90328600-1427344612_thumb.

post-623523-0-75934600-1427344613_thumb.

post-623523-0-07501600-1427344614_thumb.

^^adorable

• Like 8

Adorable. LOLed at Wilson and the fire staff... story of my game. XD Love Willow in the rain. Hm... I think I wanted to draw her in the rain too some lucky day haha. ^^" "Fire happens" LOL. Willow's so cute in all of these. :3

Hey everybody! I decided to finally post on this forum because for once in my life, I've found a forum that isn't as dead as dead can be! :-)

I haven't been playing DS long, and I play a lot more DST than anything else (I'm a social starver). Sometime last week I was watching the X-Files and I was like "hey a notepad and a pen, I guess I could draw," and then drew like 40 willows. That's when I discovered (a) Willow was secretly my favorite character and (b) I love the art style and character design of Don't Starve.

Yesterday I drew this. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what my take is on the characters, but I'm much more comfortable with this than I was when I drew those 50000 willows last week.

attachicon.gifDS_willow1_small.png

oh yeah also I decided to get back into animation today. I don't do drugs I PROMISE. Not a huge fan of how big I made the hair but it's my first attempt at animating since highschool, so not too shabby I'd say

attachicon.gifsillywillow.gif

WOW I PREVIEW'D MY POST AND THOSE IMAGE WERE HUGE! Fixed that... I tend to forget not everything has a built in resizing system. Is there any work around, or do I just have to remember to shrink down the dimensions on images before posting them?

the first willow is dancing ?

looks like she enjoy Michael Jackson.

200_s.gif

• Like 1

Finally I'm done with my classes. Thursdays are my busiest day of the week. I have this terrible headache that's sort of just been hanging around all day.

post-623523-0-90939800-1427406939_thumb.

I find "Computer Science" to be a funny name for the department I'm majoring in. Not that it's not a science, just that I, probably like most people, grew up thinking of science as stuff like Chemistry and Biology and stuff.

Also my weird interpretations of Maxwell are a sly diversion of the fact that I can't actually draw him the way he looks (and by can't I mean I've never tried :razz: )

post-623523-0-44992600-1427407052_thumb.

I'm thinking I might start making mini-comics based on the misadventures my buddy and I have faced (and continue to face) in DST. Maybe I won't, though. I'm a fickle person :-)

• Like 6

So the moment a workshop mod was out to "un-nerf" Willow in DST, I downloaded it. I felt that without her total fire immunity, her always-dependable lighter, and a tendency to set fires unintentionally when low on sanity, she lost a whole lot of her character. Beyond her dialogue and her character design, she wasn't a very dynamic character anymore. I'm personally not going to complain or request Klei change it back, partly because I have no personal reason to complain anymore (thanks to the mod), and partly because I do actually understand why it happened. If anything, though, I would think her lighter should still be infinite. There are several ways to solve the "lighters everywhere omg" problem on public servers that apparently exists, it's all about being creative about it.

post-623523-0-56350100-1427420161_thumb.

and then Wilson is all like

post-623523-0-27387400-1427420182_thumb.

I'm having so much fun animating again, the fact that it doesn't take me an entire weekend to do simple things like this anymore makes me happy :-)

• Like 12

Once upon a time, I kept staying up way too late and didn't get any useful sleep ever, the end :-)

So yeah, I decided to make some comics based upon the misfortune my friend and I have faced in DST...

post-623523-0-70103800-1427431998_thumb.

This actually happened. We had the best world ever, there was literally a cross-path, and at each end of the path was something really useful. It was beautiful. Then my friend got killed by something, but it was gonna be okay! I got the stuff to make a telltale heart and... that's when I found out this game is heartless, and will let you kill yourself in the process of trying to save a friend. And here I was, thinking "well if I don't have enough health, it'll just not let me do it, right?"... wrong...

post-623523-0-42245000-1427431979_thumb.

Get it?? GET IT?? IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE HE'S SAYING BAD WORDS BUT HE'S A GHOST SO YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT AHAHAHAHAHAHA Ineedtosleepnow

I swear, the amount of bad luck you can have in this game is amazing >:^(

• Like 11

Haha these are great! Thanks for sharing your work with us - and welcome to the community!

Thank you! I'm glad to be here, actually sharing my work with people for once has been motivating and rejuvenating :-)

i have a question , why your name contains "music" if you draw ? do you make music ? or it's your last name ?

"MikeyMusic" is actually the name I use for my accounts in several different websites/communities. It's a combination of my middle name and the fact that music is my greatest passion. I'm currently in the process of finishing the production on a record my friend and I made. While I tend to make "video-game music" from time to time, I write a lot more rock music than anything else.

If anybody is interested in hearing some stuff, I'll link it below, though it's not relevant to DS

Video-Gamey : There are a couple of other ones on the YouTube channel. This one is my personal favorite, but feel free to click around

Rock Music : This contains a lot of Rock Stuff and demos I've made. A majority of the songs on the album are up here in demo form, but none of them sound as good as the final ones do so far. Since we're planning on releasing all the songs as one album, none of the produced versions are up at the moment. There's a snippet of one of the songs, "Goodness Gracious," which I'm particularly proud of, but everybody has to wait to hear the full version :-)

I apologize for yapping so much about my music stuff. Music is my life, so I tend to get carried away with anything even relating to it haha

@Coski

post-623523-0-80168600-1427574522_thumb.

(I tend to draw Dave as he looked in 1997 over his present look; he looked cooler back then, imo)

So I started working on a "real" animation last night. By real, I mean something more than 2 seconds and containing audio. I don't want to spoil the surprise, so I won't tell you what it is, but I can say that the audio is about 1 minute and a half long. At 24 fps, the audio covers roughly 2600 frames, so this is probably gonna take me a little longer than I'm used to working on animations, but the animation style is still simple, so it's not gonna take like 3 months or something.

I was getting tired of working on it, and decided it would be a good time to solidy the designs I'll be using in the video. I'm open to all input :-)For the sake of context, the video is synced to a song containing a basic dance beat. My main goals are for Willow to appear more dressed up, and for Wilson to seem more like he's a sexy male pop singer in a music video. The kind who sings to the camera as he swaggers around some girls on a dance floor.

post-623523-0-03656900-1427574527_thumb.

I can't decide whether I like the longer dress more or not. I don't feel her hair would work let down with the shorter dress, and I wanted to keep her hair kind of messy and poofy. I mean if her hair is as big as it is when it's tied up, it can only get bigger when let down, right?

post-623523-0-29737700-1427574527_thumb.

For Wilson, I think I want to keep his regular outfit. In terms of 1920's styled clothing, men didn't have too many options, and since Wilson is already lacking a suit jacket, the only thing that would make him seem more casual would be a plain t-shirt. I feel for my purposes, his current outfit works well. The only change I might make is to remove his glove-sleeve-things, but I'll probably keep them. They're cool!

So yeah, I'm hoping to have atleast the rough animation done by Monday night. Obviously the final animation will take even longer since every frame I draw will be done in detail, but even then I wouldn't expect it to take an eternity. Let's hope I'm not wrong...

• Like 8

So something I've noticed with a great deal of Willowson fanart is that it usual has no context or its context is based on light humour (which I have no problem with, I love every one that I've ever seen!) There are a few times I've seen people make images or comics about one of the two being injured or dying (and I don't think I've ever seen one where they both die, or one of them dies without resurrection), but from the amount of work I've seen, those are few and far between.

(I'm tired, so I'm having a hard time cutting down on my words. I'm putting this in a spoiler tag. Open the tag up if you'd like to hear my complete thought on the matter. I tried my best to summarize it further down.)

I think a lot of the time when people like character pairings, since the character pairing is usually not official, it's easy to define the relationship in any way that one wants. I do that a lot too. Like I said, I love all Willowson art, whether it be serious or nearly unrelated to the world of Don't Starve itself.

I realized at one point that the situation which Wilson finds himself in is an incredibly grave one. Before being pulled into this world, Wilson lived somewhere in the USA around the 1920s. I'm going to assume that he had a decent living, as he had enough money to keep a home and keep himself alive, aswell as afford electrcity to power his radio. In this new world, however, everything he knows is irrelevant, besides cooking and primitive survival skills. The only reason he's able to survive at all is because of the knowledge bestowed upon him by Maxwell (at least, I'm assuming that's how he knows how to make things like a Science Machine and such).

Basically what I'm saying is that Wilson's entirely life is flipped around, and all leisures are lost to a pure sense of confusion and the natural desire to stay alive. Compounding this with the fact that the only other signs of human existence are skeletons scattered about, I can imagine that the introduction of Willow (or any other character, for that matter) into Wilson's life must seem like a gift from the gods. I prefer Willow as Wilson's survival partner over others simply because she's my favorite Character (aside from Wilson himself). I like the dynamic of their personalities together. I don't think the unspoken dialogue between their character traits can be had between any other characters. At least, not as nicely as it feels here.

It's a dark place, and so even when you're in love, it's hard to keep a smile on and act like nothing's wrong. Things want to kill you. Things want to eat you. Things want to bite you, whack you, and rip you to shreds. If anything, loving somebody else in this world almost makes things more stressful. You may stop caring so much about your self, but you then care ten times more for the person with you. You can only hope that you're able to keep yourself alive, even if it's just so you can keep them alive.

To wrap up what I'm trying to say; the world of Don't Starve is a grim place, and the fact that Wilson isn't even familiar with it makes it that much more disorienting. When Willow comes through the portal into Wilson's world, the relationship they form is more meaningful and precious than a regular relationship between two people. Their relationship needs to be strong, and they need to be strong for eachother, because they could honestly lose each other at any given moment, and so they need to fight to keep both themselves and eachother alive. Life is not easy for them, so the most practical way to say "I love you" through their actions is to fight to secure the other's safety and well being. That's just my take on it though.

post-623523-0-27968900-1427600011_thumb.

So long as I have you, I'll keep fighting...

I might redo this one in Photoshop. It seems like an image that could be played out well with some nicer line work and better colours.

And like I said, there are times when the idea of them just being cute and cuddly together is also totally cool with me :-)

also I realize I spell colour as "colour" and humor as "humour" and stuff like that. I'm not British, I've never been outside the US except for a 2 week trip to Italy when I was like 11. I add the 'u' because "The Colour and The Shape" is my favorite album of all time, so I've become so used to adding the 'u' in there that it happens even when I'm not talking about that album. Oopsies!

• Like 4

Went back to Photoshop for this one. I present to you...

Nine Willows

post-623523-0-59779800-1427693517_thumb.

Nine Wilsons

post-623523-0-00631700-1427693518_thumb.

I noticed, actually, that the longer I spend drawing Willow or Wilson's face, the worse it looks. Meaning that it looks better if I draw it in 5 seconds than if I spend half a minute on it... I guess that's a good thing?

also I drew a thing for Imogen Heap and I just sent her a letter but she probably wont get back to me because she's cool and busy and stuff idk

post-623523-0-05849700-1427693576_thumb.

• Like 10