Rock Lobsters have taken over the world

So I (foolishly) brought a couple rock lobsters above ground to use as body guards, but I have a problem. They seem to reproduce faster than even beefalos, and they are EVERYWHERE. They've killed almost all of the beefalo herds, and they are almost impossible to kill. I tried getting a huge group of them and killing them with 6 things of gunpowder, but they dived into their shells at the last second. How can I be rid of these things? I'd rather not start a new world unless I have to, as I've made a lot of progress in my current one. Granted, now I know what Maxwell meant when he said "I banished these guys down here for a reason". Geez.

The only way I've found to get rid of Rock Lobsters (and granted, I'm not great at this game) is a long process of hitting until they go into their shell, then waiting for them to pop out, then hitting again. Its a kite / swing / wait dance thing. I tried gunpowder, but they always seem to go back into their shell as the fire from the "fuse delay" hits them, thus avoiding the explosion. Fighting multiple isn't as hard as other mobs, because if you hit each one once, they'll turtle up, and you can sort of get them on rotation: hit one, it hides, another pops up, hit it, it hides, the next pops up, etc. Just don't get hit by them a lot, cause they hurt.

Flare2v made a video on how to kill them, basically:

1. Befriend a Lobster (pro tip: a large one)

2. Make him attack another Lobster

3. When the attacked Lobster hides in the shell, give him a rock.

Now the attacked Lobster will go out of the shell and tank the attacks until he is dead. You can attack him too.

I think you can befriend multiple Lobsters so they kill the others faster, haven't tries that though.

Thanks for all the tips. I play console, so I can't use any mods. I've tried most of these things already, but there have to be at least 48 rock lobsters above ground. I might try the ruins though. Does anyone know how long they are befriended after giving them a rock/flint? I'll have to travel pretty far to get all of them together

Old Bell?

I don't know if this will work or not since I haven't tried it.  But maybe befriend the stragglers, circle the wagons, and then Old Bell?  Maybe even build some sort of enclosure to force them together?  Something cheap like hay walls to force them all into a tight square?  Leave yourself a single gap to run out of when the Big Foot comes, of course.

Following mellojoe's idea, you could make a very small pen and drop a rock inside it, then close the pen, so the lobsters will all try to eat the rock but never reach it. Then you smash them with the Old Bell >:)

(if some of them are too far away, lure them with more minerals so they all gather around your pen)

I am wondering... is the rock lobster overpopulation thing a bug, or intended? Because I thought it was a bug at first when I saw posts about this issue over a year ago, but since it hasn't been fixed I'm not sure anymore.

I am wondering... is the rock lobster overpopulation thing a bug, or intended? Because I thought it was a bug at first when I saw posts about this issue over a year ago, but since it hasn't been fixed I'm not sure anymore.

It might actually be intended. After all, when Maxwell examines them he'll say "I banished these guys down here for a reason.".

Archived