I have also had a poor experience with Citadel although not as draw out as raiannon. I was thinking of renting a Don't Starve Together Server but I wanted to try them out and they had a Killing Floor 2 server on the cheap.  I got it up and running but I ran into extreme lag with all the players on the server experiencing this.  Players would skip around the map. So I opened a ticket to cancel and get a refund since it had only been 2 days. I was told there would not be a refund and that this was in their Terms Of Service. I was a bit surprised as a lot of Game servers I have researched offer a free trial period so as to make you feel you can trust them.Citadel has not figured out yet that good customer service leads to happy customers which leads to more money. 

My experience with Citadel has been great thus far. I've been renting a DST server with Citadel since April 2015. I have not had any significant lag issues. I'm running an 8 person server with about 60 server side mods. I pay a premium to have my server hosted in in NYC where I live.  My ping to the server is ~40ms and for most others it's around 100ms.

There have definately been a few hickups with the service, but Citadel's support team has been quick/helpful in responding to my quesitons/issues. I've opened about 12 support cases since I got started and they all have been resolved to my satisfaction. The most serious service hickup for me has been when my server was 'load balanced' to a data center outside NYC (even though I was paying to have it local), the support team quickly moved it back but the move hosed my world. Citadel has several user tools for backing up your world but no easy way to restore a world from those backups. I keep local copies of my config files (setting.ini, mods_setup.lua, modoverrides.lua, worldgenoverride.lua, etc.).

Overall I would say I'm pleased with my service from Citadel. The server admin user interface and support staff are pretty solid and the performance has been good for me. I've recently moved my Ventrillo server to Citadel as well to consolidate my gaming server/services. I have recommend Citadel to friends who were interested in hosting dedicated DST worlds. 

My experience with Citadel has been great thus far.

I've been renting a DST server with Citadel since April 2015.

My ping to the server is ~40ms and for most others it's around 100ms.

I've opened about 12 support cases since I got started

The most serious service hickup for me has been when my server was 'load balanced' to a data center outside NYC (even though I was paying to have it local)

Em I missing something? Great?

40ms from New York to New York IMHO is not great. I get 16ms from Boston to New York with gamesevers.com

12 tickets opened since April 2015 can't be great. Just the fact you had to open them.

Paying for New York and having it moved seems very wrong?

No Easy way to restore a backup?

I've been renting for a good few months now, i got a startup guide via email which made things fairly easy but when i got stuck with the server token i got lots of help with via live chat and got it sorted. The staff are friendly/helpful and I haven't really had any server issues other than the server token thing. Went ahead and got a caves server yesterday after i got a deal with them and it's been great, they sync'd it for me so i didn't have to do anything, would recommend them to anyone who's wanting decent service and price

I've been renting for a good few months now, i got a startup guide via email which made things fairly easy but when i got stuck with the server token i got lots of help with via live chat and got it sorted. The staff are friendly/helpful and I haven't really had any server issues other than the server token thing. Went ahead and got a caves server yesterday after i got a deal with them and it's been great, they sync'd it for me so i didn't have to do anything, would recommend them to anyone who's wanting decent service and price

I noticed this is your first post Longlostblake. Welcome  :joyous:  :joyous:  :joyous:

Also using Citadel Servers and have on and off for months.

Never had any problems with them, and they have been quick and efficient (within realistic limits) with resolving any issues I have had.

Would gladly use them for other services.

Sayyyy, that's a pretty nice deal.

I've been working with you guys since DST first started coming out, and I do currently have a dedicated core and a regular server, one running the surface and the other the caves.

Any chance I could get in on the deal as well?  (even though I am a current customer instead of a new one)

I saw Citadel Servers being mentioned here and I had to say something. 

I was SOOO afraid to pay for my own server, because I've watched YouTube videos of people having to drag/drop files into folders and install things onto servers remotely and - whew - it's horrible. 

And then I came across Citadel Servers - I'm so glad I did. Their set up is the simplest darned thing I've ever come across, literally. I paid for the service to get my Taking Without Consent servers up and running, and then blam! it was up'n'running. I just had to click 'start' and it was there. 

The best thing about it is that their customer service reps seem to never sleep! Every question is answered within a minute when using the 'chat' portion. The reps I've dealt with were extremely nice and walked me through everything, from payment to clicking the start button. 

I've since branched out from my Wurm server to hosting an Ark server. Ark was a LITTLE more involved, but a representative stayed with me the entire time and walked me through the set up process (I feel bad for her because I'm afraid to touch or click things when I'm in the server panel. lol).

Anyway, without writing an entire wall-of-text (oh..too late), I have to say 10/10 for all categories with these guys, and if you're afraid of having to deal with all those files - don't. . . . it's seamless. If you're like me and need your hand held throughout the process, they'll do that for you. Totally worth every penny. 

If you found this review helpful and want to sign up through Citadel, then click this link here: [referral link removed]

That will let them know that I sent you!! 

Happy GM'ing!

November Special Offer

We have a special Promotional Offer this November.

Order a Don't Starve Together Server with a Dedicated Core and get the A free Caves Server for DST Caves Beta!

Order your Don't Starve Together Server today.

level_up_free_caves_server.png

So I have a Server with a Dedicate Core with you guys that I bought back in July. I guess I'm not getting the free caves server then?  :livid:

So...do I have to buy a brand new server with the same amount of slots to get a caves server connected with my server?

I'd like an answer to that as well. I'm looking to rent a dedicated server for friends and I right now, but I don't want to pay double just for caves.

I Bought 2 servers on New Years Day, wanted new caves content on my dedicated server. anyways the guy over Citadel will get you running. got a 8-slot been working beautifully now. Nice price and good service, if you willing to dwelve into dedicate servers, its quick too. considering game still in beta.

Hi all, long time starve/first time poster!

I got into DS on the PS4 but have since bought a PC with a view to playing DST. I'm looking to rent a dedicated server but I'm not very proficient (at all) with this kind of stuff so I'm not 100% sure what I'd need to get...

Basically I want to be able to have up to 6 people at a time, and ideally have a few different 'saves', so that I can have a few different worlds running at once. Is this possible or is each server just one world and multiple rentals are needed for people to have more than one world? Also am I right in thinking that if I rent a server then the server is up 24/7 regardless of whether or not I'm online? (So my friends could just log in with the password whenever they wanted?)

Sorry if this all seems a bit basic, I'm quite possibly the least technical person ever so I just want to make sure I buy the right thing.

Also any DST players who would be interested in playing add me on Steam, I've played a lot of vanilla DS and I'm starting to get my head around the RoG giants content, Steam name - canyoufelix.

4 hours ago, canyoufelix said:

Hi all, long time starve/first time poster!

I got into DS on the PS4 but have since bought a PC with a view to playing DST. I'm looking to rent a dedicated server but I'm not very proficient (at all) with this kind of stuff so I'm not 100% sure what I'd need to get...

Basically I want to be able to have up to 6 people at a time, and ideally have a few different 'saves', so that I can have a few different worlds running at once. Is this possible or is each server just one world and multiple rentals are needed for people to have more than one world? Also am I right in thinking that if I rent a server then the server is up 24/7 regardless of whether or not I'm online? (So my friends could just log in with the password whenever they wanted?)

Sorry if this all seems a bit basic, I'm quite possibly the least technical person ever so I just want to make sure I buy the right thing.

Also any DST players who would be interested in playing add me on Steam, I've played a lot of vanilla DS and I'm starting to get my head around the RoG giants content, Steam name - canyoufelix.

Hi Canyoufelix, from the information you have provided you can rent a 6 slot don't starve together server with us, as soon as we receive payment your server will be up instantly in the location you have chosen. DST has a save slot feature built in and as such can have multiple worlds\saves at the same time, we have a guide showing you how to use this. To have more than one world concurrently you would need to have multiple servers, for instance if you want a caves world and a overworld you would need two servers with us to run both worlds. We are happy to sync them together for you.

Our servers are up 24/7, you do not need to be accessing the server for others to join, we do all the hosting for you, so yes, your friends can play when you are not online

Archived