RoG scares me

I got so good at surviving in the base game, I put 60 hours into it and even with all the new non-RoG stuff that's in the game since I last played it's getting a bit difficult for me to get by.

But looking at all the stuff in RoG, looking at all the scary enemies...

I main Wendy, and basically any enemy that isn't a group enemy that is easily stunlocked becomes a problem for me.

Single enemies that don't do much damage to Abigail like Tallbirds I can take on as long as she tanks the damage, but I can't even deal with Tentacles or Warrior Pigs for example unless I bring in some other help as well.

I want to experience the new content but I'm a little scared. Anyone have any advice..?

I got so good at surviving in the base game, I put 60 hours into it and even with all the new non-RoG stuff that's in the game since I last played it's getting a bit difficult for me to get by.

I main Wendy, and basically any enemy that isn't a group enemy that is easily stunlocked becomes a problem for me.

Single enemies that don't do much damage to Abigail like Tallbirds I can take on as long as she tanks the damage, but I can't even deal with Tentacles or Warrior Pigs for example unless I bring in some other help as well.

I want to experience the new content but I'm a little scared. Anyone have any advice..?

I would help you, but since you said you attack tallbirds, it'll be a cold day in hell before I give you my tips.

I would help you, but since you said you attack tallbirds, it'll be a cold day in hell before I give you my tips.

They're aggressive by nature. Not even just territorial, if you raise one from a baby it'll try to KILL YOU.

As Wendy they're a good source of meat because Abigail makes them cake to take care of.

Pigmen and Beefalo are much harder to kill since they're always in large groups, though Abby did take care of a horrifying Werepig onslaught for me last night almost entirely by herself (I only had to kill one of the six that were in my base)

They're aggressive by nature. Not even just territorial, if you raise one from a baby it'll try to KILL YOU.

As Wendy they're a good source of meat because Abigail makes them cake to take care of.

Pigmen and Beefalo are much harder to kill since they're always in large groups, though Abby did take care of a horrifying Werepig onslaught for me last night almost entirely by herself (I only had to kill one of the six that were in my base)

Welcome to my enemy list.

Besides, you're the one in ther territory. And when I raise one it never turns on me? I just have adult tallbirds following me around... I thought they all did that..

Welcome to my enemy list.

Besides, you're the one in ther territory. And when I raise one it never turns on me? I just have adult tallbirds following me around... I thought they all did that..

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Tallbird

Commonly known as Smallish Tallbirds, Teenbirds are neutral Mobs that were once Smallbirds. After 18 full days, Smallish Tallbird will grow into a Tallbird, becoming aggressive when approached.

That seriously is odd, once my smallbirds become teenbirds, they are still fine, but when they become tallbirds, they still follow me around. I don't know what your issue is.

Well no matter the case, I kill innocent creatures without mercy if I can. It's kill or be killed in this game and I'm not going to let myself be killed.

Well no matter the case, I kill innocent creatures without mercy if I can. It's kill or be killed in this game and I'm not going to let myself be killed.

You're a monster. I hope you're happy, because everyone in reality hates you.

And now a slightly more serious response:

If you go from vanilla to RoG, I'd say you have two major hills to climb: the evil that is Summer and the way objects already in Vanilla have changes in RoG. Summer is just merciless and the changes require you to rethink everything you know. Changes include the need to feed animals in your inventory to keep them alive, the new ice attack of the Deerclops, the fact that food doesn't stay eternally fresh in the crockpot and on the racks anymore, etc.

You can find some advice for summer here. The changes are best handled analyzing your usual strategies and checking with the wiki if they'd still work. It might be wise checking on the Giants too before emerging yourself in RoG because they're not that difficult to handle if you know how they work. Oh, in that sense, speaking of changes, I don't know if it's me, but I can easily avoid the Deerclops in vanilla, but all the RoG Giants with the exception of the G/Goose seem to be aiming for you. 

Anyone have any advice..?

I was in your shoes just days ago.  I have found some good advice that I'll share plus my own experiences:

[1.] Turn off summer / smoldering in world creation for your first playthrough.  Look.  I understand that part of the fun of the game is surviving it the way the developers intended.  But they also put in ways to change the game to meet your desires.  Turn off summer.  From my experiences, Summer is just Winter with less-fun gameplay elements.  Exactly like winter, you need a "summer fire" and a "thermal stone".  Exactly like winter, crops don't grow.  But, unlike winter, there's no new content.  Nothing exciting like Pengulls or MacTusk.  There is really no reason to use Summer at this time.  Maybe if development adds some specific summer-only features, then maybe it will be time to reevaluate.  But for now, Summer is just a worse Winter.

[2.] Start prepping for Giants immediately.  Don't be caught unawares.  In the vanilla game, you don't really have to prep for the first couple of hound waves.  You know, you just prototype a spear and a logsuit and then you go about your life.  But, RoG adds Giants.  Giants are not like easy hound waves.  Giants can be brutal if you aren't ready for them.  Start collecting your Nitre and rotten eggs immediately.  Find your Beefalo herds and be prepared to use them on those early Giants before your teeth-trap field is setup.

[3.] Caves are great ways to replenish resources.  Don't be afraid to build a minershat or several torches.  Don't open the cave if it is right near your main base, though.  Bats spawn and are an annoyance.  But, there's usually 3 separate caves on each map.  Drop down if you need grass / twigs / logs / rocks.

[4.] Fixed "bugs" like crockpots / drying racks / rabbit traps.  This is really the hardest change I had to learn to deal with.  Food DOES spoil while sitting on crockpots.  No more infinite "bug".  My old base building style was put four to six crockpots in a cluster.  Then cook food and just let it hang out on the crockpot without ever harvesting it.  Ditto for drying racks. This doesn't work anymore.  Good news!  You only really need 2 crockpots, if even you need more than 1.  Bad news!  Food spoils.  :(  Ditto with infinite "bug" for rabbit traps.  No longer can you catch a dozen rabbits, and stash them in chests for a steady supply of morsels during hard winters.  Rabbits will starve if left in traps / chests.  You can just feed them, sure.  But, building up a stash of rabbits was a key strategy for me previously.  Ditto crops on farms.

GOOD LUCK!  :)

My advice would be... just play Reign of Giants. Part of the fun of Don't Starve, for me anyway, is that you can learn it just by playing it. You don't really need to use wikis or strategy guides or what have you. You might mess up and die as you learn, but that's not really a big deal until you start surviving for great lengths of time.

It's been a while since I've played, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that most of the same general strategies still apply to beating enemies in RoG. That is, get enemies to fight each other as much as possible, and use kiting if you still have to engage.

If you're still worried about the combat, well, one of the new characters is designed around combat and has abilities that make it significantly easier.

Also, don't forget that rain is actually a threat in RoG. And keep the new giants the heck away from your base.

I'd suggest trying a different character when playing with RoG, I'd suggest Webber for you since you seem to like having companions with you when you combat something. Secondly, just avoid tallbirds all together if you have no plans of raising one of your own. You can also play around with the presets to reduce the hostiles on the map if you wish to play on an easier RoG world. I'd have a few more suggestions to make it easier, but Don't Starve is a try and try again kind of game. So just experiment and be learn from the results.

Good luck, have fun. Cheers.

A tip I can give is when you activate a touchstone, put a quickkit by it. If you're already in that habit, keep in mind that now you'll need to put stuff in there for both Winter and Summer.

Nothing sucks more than trying not to overheat on your way back to base to recover and a Hound wave starts. Every single time. :livid:

Muahahaha! Embrace the fear! It won't last long!

I remember being so afraid of RoG and it was a blast. Now it's a breeze.

I long for the days where I was frozen in terror of Dragonfly visiting me first Summer. It was shocking. I couldn't beat him.

Me, the smart, yet cowardly Wilson, went home, only to be visited by Bearger after a few days.

Enjoy the days of cluelessness. They are scary, but the most fun kind. Good luck OP!

(A tip: On summer, be prepared to get cacti. You can make a Floral Shirt with 3 Silk, 3 Papyrus, and 5 Cactus Flowers, which grow only in Summer. Hell, build a base near cacti. It is so strong as a food source. It takes 6 hp per 1 cactus harvest, but only 2 if you wear a Logsuit or Football helmet. Cooking a cactus and eating it yields 1 HP, 12.5 hgr, and a crazy 15 sanity.)

EDIT: Oh and the lovely Crock Pot recipe Flower Salad! 1 Cactus Flower and 3 Cactus Flesh give you a Flower Salad, which gives you a whopping 40 HP. That mitigates the damage you take from picking the cactus. Cactus gives you so much benefits. Not to mention that being near a cactus desert gives you access to tumbleweeds, which are great.

Archived