my first WOODIE! playthrough

This guy is hilarious.  So far, i'm in love with the guy and his "terrible secret" and his odd love affair / stalker relationship with Lucy.

I'm about day 15 or so.  My base is starting to come together.  Around day 5 or so, I found a perfect location, except there was a bee trap set piece right on top of it.  You know, the one with the three really angry beehives hiding in a bunch of tall grass.  So, I whipped out Lucy, went to town on some nearby trees, transformed into MegaBeaver and wrecked shop all over them.  Cleared them out, got some honey and honeycombs, and now I have all the grass I could ever want.  Its a cute little spot, and I'm planting my saprolings and berry bushes nearby using the already laid out geometric planning from the set piece.

Oh, and I needed some gears for a fridge, and what did I find?  A bunch of clockwork knights just chilling.  Uh oh, here comes MegaBeaver!  Now I've got like 12 gears and a bunch of carpet.

Lessons learned:
HOLY GRAVY does Woodie have sanity issues.  I've learned to carry my supplies differently.  I keep my food in my backpack instead of my main toolbar so I can drop the backpack, make the transformation, and then when I come back, my food is right there ready for me.  My first transformation (the beehive clearout) I just dropped a stack of berries and carrots on the ground, but when I went back into Woodie form, they were gone.  Lesson learned.

Fixing hunger is one thing.  Health eventually comes back just from naturally eating.

Fixing sanity?  Thats a much harder process I wasn't prepared for.  I'm going to have to learn some new tricks to be ready to get my sanity back quickly.  However, killing beardlings for nightmare fuel is now pretty easy.  But, I'll be much more comfortable if I have a steady way to get my sanity back up.    I think I'm going to stack a bunch of Jerky and see if that helps.

So far, really loving Woodie.  Such a fun change of pace.  I've never played these characters (i've got a little bit of Wilson and Wendy/Abigail playtime), so a lot to learn.  

Yea he's pretty interesting, his playstyle is much more different compared to everyone else.  

I would advise making some bee boxes (to make honey) and a crock pot so you can turn that honey (by putting four pieces of honey in a cock pot) into taffy to help out with you sanity issues.

Ive still yet to play him...900hours DST and DS:RoG combined..

WHAAAAAaa!  Wow.  That's a lot of Don't Starve. I've got some catching up to do.  Secondly, you've got to give him a try.  He's hilarious.

I've got my first crockpot setup, and i'm holding onto that honeycomb specifically for bee boxes.  I haven't yet gotten enough spider silk though to make  bug nets to catch bees or make a bee mask.  This is probably going to be my next priority.

QUESTION:

is it possible to get Glommer with Woodie?  if I automatically transition during the full moon, will I miss every opportunity to get Glommer?  I thought about forcing a transition early, and then letting it wear off right at the start of a Full Moon, but that doesn't work because you sleep through the night.  How do I get Glommer?  The sanity aura will be massively helpful, I think.

((edit))
I thought maybe I could pick up Glommer on the 2nd full moon, but I still transform.  So, even if I revert to Woodie after the first Full Moon, the very next night I transform again.  Help!?

Glad you're liking your first Woodie (giggle, giggle, snort)!

He's my go-to guy - one of the very first things I do with a base is start setting up drying racks to get that all-important sanity icnreasing jerky.

Another thing you might want to try is plant a little forest near your base, so if need be, you can quickly turn into the Werebeaver and take care of business (against hounds, monsters, and the occasional Deerclops). :-)

Have fun!

Great advice, Dr.

I have, indeed, found this to be really helpful.  I also have to remember to keep myself from eating the pinecones as MegaBeaver so that I can save them for planting.

I have actually started to drop patches of trees in lots of areas.  Like 10 to 15 trees in clusters in sections that don't have lots of trees, like rock biomes, savanna areas, etc.  It means if I'm caught out exploring, I can quickly find a place to transform if I absolutely need it.  

Archived