How do you pass the time during summer?

I think the temperature is moderated somewhat in the caves, especially toward the end of the season. I've spent the past two summers exploring caves and ruins in a floral shirt w/chilled thermal stone and not had too much trouble. You can't really collect much, since you have to carry light sources and armor w/o a backpack. Much of that time I used to clear out spiders and build/stock a small cave camp since I've yet to camp in the ruins. The one thing is to keep panflute/ashes and gunpowder at the ready up top, because inevitably when I surface, Dragonfly appears shortly thereafter. Also, firehounds, though all the Dragonflies I've killed have set me up with a couple of fireproof chests, so I only lost burnables at my base the first time around.

I generally just continue doing what I Always do. Run around, gather resources, try to stay alive, that stuff.
Then, I generally get distracted by a lot of awesome poop, or a bunch of koalafant tracks.
I then proceed to get distracted even further, only to notice my thermal stone is overheating. I then leave my thermal stone behind, and run back to my base like crazy. I pass the night with a torch in an attempt to bring back my thermal stone, and spend the rest of the night mostly with food related stuff.
When the sun rises, I grab my umbrella, straw hat, floral shirt and thermal stone and run out of my base for a happy day of running around, gathering resources, getting distracted, you get the routine.

Oh crap, is my thermal stone overheating again?

I went through my first summer (with no world modifications) and I saw exactly three things begin to smolder. No filngomatic, no ice, just these hands. I was just eating the flowers from cactuses and picking tumbleweeds to get back the gears I accidentally ate when the deer destroyed my base. I think that the caves should count as wearing an eyebrella since it is all shady down there (does eyebrella even do anything down there?), then summer would be spelunking season.

Archived