Don't Starve Character Origin Videos

I believe it's noteworthy enough to say that the Wilson Character Origin Video was a huge success in attracting new players and not to mention make fans go nuts over the story shaded behind the innocent yet vigorously cruel atmosphere of Don't Starve. Anyway, the reason I'm writing this discussion is because I would like to see more Videos for each character providing speculation on how they got into the world of Don't Starve (preferably animated origin trailers). So if anyone would like to make some, or raise awareness, I have compiled a list of Don't Starve characters with what we know of their past. (I'm excluding Wilson because we should all be familiar with his back story not to mention Maxwell).

Willow:

From what we know of Willow already is that she is a young woman in her twenties who was formerly a girl scout and completed all her badges. Speculation shows that somehow connected to her pyromania attitude and her former advantages in the outdoors may have caused her to come in contact with shadows once her light was extinguished or perhaps she seeked to conduct something so large she needed help to start the fire and watch, in which I am referring to the several houses on fire behind her in her Don't Starve cover photo.

Wolfgang:

Wolfgang is thought to have been the son of a poor farmer from Russia or France because of his examination of the pitchfork, hammer, and frog legs. As a stereotypical aspect of the early 1900's he apparently ran away to the circus where he may have been acquainted with Maxwell, leading him to track him down and look into what hes been doing which may have led him to be taunted by shadows, taking him into the realm of Don't  Starve. However, a more likely situation could be Maxwell needed to trap humans within Don't Starve and was pressured by (lets just call them "superiors") and then lured the dimwitted Wolfgang into a trap.

Wendy:

Wendy as we know is a Twin (not sure whether Identical or Fraternal) to her sister Abigail in which can be opened with a ghostly form. Upon her sisters death, Wendy must've been devastated enough to attempt to resurrect her sister with a conduit or the flower. Using the magic practiced by her uncle she may have used the shadows to be able to resurrect her sister while at the same time condemning her to Don't Starve. Although, she may have been lured in the same way by Maxwell himself as Wolfgang had.

WX-78:

The automation that is WX-78 is personally speculated by me to possibly be a former invention of Wilson that went bust. However, when Wilson was taken by the portal and a surge of energy and magic went through his solitary house, he may have been awakened and then lured or perhaps given a sense of curiousity (since he has empathy) where he is taken/sent to Don't Starve.

Wickerbottom:

One of the more simpler explanation since she is interested in books this older librarian may have come in contact with the Codex which is the book Maxwell possessed that would allow him to summon shadows. Upon struggling with trying to understand the book, she may have altered something causing her to be taken to the realm of Don't Starve.

Woodie:

As his salvation and his damnation the axe Lucy that he possesses may have caused him to be condemned in Don't Starve. Once coming into contact with the magical axe he may have been cursed causing him to become the Were-beaver. Desperate to remove the curse, Woodie may have tried to combat his unhealthy obsessions with magic, only causing him to suffer the same fate as the others.

Wes:

Described by Maxwell as pitiful and pathetic, Maxwell was determined to take Wes and condemn him in a state where he can't die and to observe his suffering as entertainment. Wes has been thought to have been a mime from the circus Maxwell was formerly part of. Having resented him at the time, Maxwell may have taken him to Don't Starve simply to punish him possibly for some personal vendetta and to have silenced him permanently.

Wigfrid:

Believed to be a former Opera player who was at the time impersonating a Valkyrie. Similar to Wes' situation she may have been brought to Don't Starve by some magic to improve her acting or was just part of the show and was condemned with the persona of what she was acting as since she only eats meat to impersonate an actual warrior. 

Webber:

My personal favorite the spider child which has caused dozens of possible explanations to why he is part spider now. As known however, he was formerly a child from Scottish origin, where he may have been condemned to the world on accident as a human and then eaten by a spider in which he died. Upon finding his skull you may resurrect him with the magic that upholds the realm.

Note: In response to the many skeletons found in the game, these characters are only one of many left to die in the realm not only to Maxwell but to others. Not to mention as suggested by the various worlds in adventure mode, many alternate worlds may exist where certain characters are taken and left.

Official trailers would be nice.

Couple of points:

-I don't think Maxwell's backstory outright states he was part of a circus, just that the train crash he was involved in also involved a circus.

(Though I do recall him having Wolfgang's poster around. Hrm.)

-It's implied Maxwell is Wendy and Abigail's Uncle by one of the letters in his backstory and Wendy's quote when examining him.

-WX-78 specifically lacks empathy though curiosity wouldn't require such an emotion.

-While playing Webber today, I noticed he says his dad worked with something similar to the Alchemy Engine. Intriguing!

Archived