My Guide to Don't Starve

Beginning

Well first off is finding a good world you like, I'd suggest exploring 2-3 islands before determining if you like the world or not, but if you are persistent then just keep on exploring until you feel you found a good spot for a camp, personally for me I like to set up camps near the Beefalo and use the Manure as fuel to preserve logs, but alas that is my opinion and the strategy would differ from every player. On the first day it'd be best to gather materials such as twigs and flint to make an Axe for some logs. After getting what you think is a good amount of logs start gathering plenty of Grass as this will be VERY helpful later on. Once these tasks are done it'd be good to gather LOTS of flower petals to use as fuel on the fire as its a good idea to conserve wood for lots of campfires when exploring. When the night is over start collecting more grass and twigs until you can make a backpack to carry lots of plant life. Now make a shovel and start digging up Grass,those little Twig bushes (forget the name) and berry bushes, if any, on your island; make sure you have explored it thoroughly for rocks and berry bushes, (Again this is my preference) keep the bushes and tufts in your backpack and if necessary, your tools. Once you feel you've gathered enough materials (and mined rocks, if any) it's time to run around the border of the island until you find a path, follow this path and it will take you to a new island. The Islands take forms in several ways. Some may be Swamps, some may be Sahara's (Beefalo biomes) and some may just be plain ol' grassland.

Different Island Biomes

Swamp- This area will have lots of different sounds referencing all the animal life that exists in swamps and the ground will feature a dark green 'mushy' color, it is advised to stick to the paths in swamps and keep CAREFUL notice of any slight disruptions in your surroundings as these distortions in the ground will indicate a tentacle, which, without a Logsuit or Wolfgang, can easily kill an un-suspecting player within two hits.

Sahara- This area will look like 'wheat' is covering the ground and you will hear loud grunts and find Manure lying on the ground.

Grassland- Usually this is the area you start off in featuring a 'normal' green look to the grass with lots of grass and twigs and flint.

Forests- This area is where most of the trees are found and are as the name explains it, usually merges with Grassland biomes and on few occasions, merges with Sahara's.

Pig villages- While not actually a biome itself it tends to be inside a forest biome with a clearing where the pig houses reside. The icon of the village is resembled by the Pig King on the map given that the pig king cannot die whereas the pigs can be killed and the houses salvaged with a hammer

Rocky- Usually this biome features a dark brown 'dirt' look with several rocks inside and occasionally gold nuggets lying on the ground, Tallbird nests can spawn in the Rocky biomes.

Misc- This is an island which I have recently archived and do not know much about but I will describe its appearance. Its a heavily merged island featuring a Rocky biome, a grassland biome and a forest biome all heavily merged together with little grass or twig plants, the island also has several 'holes' in it where you can see the Out-Of-the-playing-area-water.

Tips for Surviving enemies

Hounds- Always be on the lookout for a kinda slight Half Barking;Half thundering footsteps kinda sound as this is a VERY vengeful time for new players as this signals the Hell Hounds will appear, now do not worry as for if you have a simple stroke of luck the hounds will attack you during the DAY which is when they are easiest to get killed, if you have already located either a pig village or a Sahara with passive beefalo there you can bring the Hounds to either location and the NPC's will battle it out usually leaving One or maybe Two still chasing you, which if you have a spear will be easy to dispose of given that the attack has around a 75% to stun the enemy when hit. If you do NOT have a spear try to drop a piece of meat when being chased by the hounds as it will distract them(or IT if you followed my earlier instruction) allowing you to finish it off while it is eating, Notice any piece of meat can be used including Monster Meat which can be easily obtained from Spider farms.

Spiders- While the newest update of the Jumping spiders makes this alot less newbie-friendly a suggested tactic can be used to farm silk from spider eggs if you have a basic campsite set up and a logsuit or Wolfgang. Simply get around 7-8 traps and place them around the Spider den and simply attack it and wait for the traps to catch most of the spiders allowing you to finish off the rest if God forbid they aren't jumping spiders.

Tentacles- I don't have any advice just STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM THEM unless a spider den nearby killed it, if so take its Tentacle spike and whatever other loot it dropped as the Tentacle spike is a deadly weapon.

Werepigs- Yes you heard me right, WEREPIGS, Twilight has invaded everything....Werepigs are a hostile version of the quite adorable pig people and only emerge at full moon. (This can be located to the top right of the Day/Night meter) It is suggested you be keep watch of the moon indicator when you are traveling to the pig village for whatever reason, even werepigs who WERE following you will attack so it is most likely suggested you kill the werepigs on sight or use the same tactic used for the Hounds.

Tentacles can be easily tackled if you have a Football Helmet and/or a logsuit and a spear or spike. Wait for the attack anaimation to finish then hit it once and back off. Repeat until it is dead and harvest. This can be problematic when two or more a located close to each other. I would recommend staying out of swamps without a Football helmet or logsuit. Also Abigail can be used to kill tentacles easily, as she is invincible.

Tentacles - hit 1 time and run back, then hit again and run back. Spear needs 6-8 hits and tentacle spike needs 4-5 hits I think.

Treeguard - hit 2-3 times and run back, then go back and hit him some more. The Tree has 5 times more hp than a tentacle. You can plant saplings to make the tree cool down and replant, but don't start chopping at him or he will come back.

Hounds - Drop some meat on the ground and just wait for them to come, as they go for meat on the ground before you. Do be careful of the hellhound as he sets things on fire when he dies (grass, twigs, trees, bushes?). they die in 3 hits from a spear and 2 from a tentacle spike.

Krampus - Try to get in a hit on him as he tries to steal something, or sleep him with a sleeping dart as he gets close. If hit once he will stop running away and start fighting. He takes 3 hits from a tentacle spike to die, but try to hit him non stop as he doesn't get stunned by hits like hounds or bees or pigs. Armor is very recommended vs him.

Tentacles - hit 1 time and run back, then hit again and run back. Spear needs 6-8 hits and tentacle spike needs 4-5 hits I think.

Treeguard - hit 2-3 times and run back, then go back and hit him some more. The Tree has 5 times more hp than a tentacle. You can plant saplings to make the tree cool down and replant, but don't start chopping at him or he will come back.

Hounds - Drop some meat on the ground and just wait for them to come, as they go for meat on the ground before you. Do be careful of the hellhound as he sets things on fire when he dies (grass, twigs, trees, bushes?). they die in 3 hits from a spear and 2 from a tentacle spike.

Krampus - Try to get in a hit on him as he tries to steal something, or sleep him with a sleeping dart as he gets close. If hit once he will stop running away and start fighting. He takes 3 hits from a tentacle spike to die, but try to hit him non stop as he doesn't get stunned by hits like hounds or bees or pigs. Armor is very recommended vs him.

The treeguard is 3-4 hits, 4 hits maximum and should be used, as time is important in this game.