Hosting Dedicated Server: Joining on your own PC

It would appear that I have my server up and running, other players are able to join but I cannot figure out how I can allow my PC that is hosting the server to connect to the game. I understand running from another PC is ideal, but for testing purposes I'd like to be able to quick join from the same PC i'm hosting from until I've got the server tweaks down. 

Any tips?

Is there any way to enter an IP Address in DST to connect to a game? I think the issue that any PC's on my LAN will attempt connect to the external IP address from the in game window, when I need to connect to my internal IP. No problems from clients outside connecting, just internal.

@Jubileet, Hmm, that's weird. I was able to join my own dedicated server (both from the same computer and from another on the same network) when I used a different port... Do you have any other complexity to your network (e.g. VPN)? Not that I have any ideas for action base on that, but it might help people who know more about networking.

Edit: I used 10998 as well.

No VPN running or anything out of the ordinary, just simply running an Asus Router via Comcast. I was able to verify via hotspot that I can connect to the server. Just curious, what port did you use? I tried 27000 and 10998, I dont think it should matter but maybe?

This is from the log when I attempt to connect.

[02:23:29]: [200] Account Communication Success (13)
[02:23:29]: Server listing has no punchthrough address, connecting directly
[02:23:29]: Connecting to 24.147.42.83:5559
[02:23:39]: PushNetworkDisconnectEvent With Reason: "ID_CONNECTION_ATTEMPT_FAILED"

• Developer

Hey!

We are aware of this problem, and will be fixing it.  If you are intending to only play with local users, you may try "lan mode" for the server.  This mode does allow local users to connect (but not internet).  

[account]

dedicated_lan_server = true

from the wiki:

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Don%E2%80%99t_Starve_Together_Dedicated_Servers

This will allow you to use your server for LAN only games. 

And one other thing while I can think of it.  The dedicated server requires a steam ID. So how em I suppose to install it on a dedicated server and then connect to it since I can't use the same steam ID. I am so confused?

• Developer

Dedicated servers does not need a Steam ID actually. If you're using Steam UI, you should be able to start a server in "Offline mode" (in Steam) as if you were disconnected from the Internet.

If you're using SteamCMD, you have to use "login anonymous" instead of "login [your username]" ;)

Reporting:

I tried hosting my own online server in Windows.

I have a linksys router that connects via PPPoE to a modem.

I opened and used my 10998 port (or at least, I think, because some methods say yes, others no, I would appreciate a recommendation here).

People can see and connect to my server.

I can't see my server from my own computer using the DST client.

I believe you can also simply run the exe from the folder that you installed it to.

Thanks, I ended up running the exe direct from the folder with a shortcut and it works. I also installed shibby tomato firmware on my router and that corrected the issue for me of not being able to connect to my server from the lan. The only outstanding issue I have now is extreme pause/lag whenever a new player connects. I have posted that as a new topics. Of course I have a non technical issue where it seems players love to go onto the server just to destroy camp and I am always on a journey and don't catch it quick enough. Not sure much can be done about that, but it tends to in the long run make the group stronger as we rebuild from the senseless destruction.

• Developer

@jrose78, glad you got your connection sorted out. Yeah, open servers where griefers join just to cause destruction is something we're looking at from a design perspective, currently the ability to cause destruction is unbalanced by the lack of ability to defend your base.

@jrose78, glad you got your connection sorted out. Yeah, open servers where griefers join just to cause destruction is something we're looking at from a design perspective, currently the ability to cause destruction is unbalanced by the lack of ability to defend your base.

If I may...

Krampus

or

Houndius Shootius

puwees... wiv chewees on top :)

,///////,

@O__O@

Houndius Shootius
 I don't think repurposing the Houndius Shootius like that is a good idea, because (a) they're really time-consuming and difficult to obtain, and can only be gotten in small quantities, and (b) because they're very powerful for PvE, too. However, a simple amended approach of making something like the Houndius Shootius (Puppetus Shootius?) that wasn't as difficult to build and only attacked players would work. But even then it doesn't really handle the scenario of non-PvP griefing, where you just want some way to protect your stuff, not necessarily be at odds with every other player (and if you're not at odds with them at all times, how does it know when they become hostile?).

I don't think repurposing the Houndius Shootius like that is a good idea, because (a) they're really time-consuming and difficult to obtain, and can only be gotten in small quantities, and (b) because they're very powerful for PvE, too. However, a simple amended approach of making something like the Houndius Shootius (Puppetus Shootius?) that wasn't as difficult to build and only attacked players would work. But even then it doesn't really handle the scenario of non-PvP griefing, where you just want some way to protect your stuff, not necessarily be at odds with every other player (and if you're not at odds with them at all times, how does it know when they become hostile?).

Well, there was a post by @bravepotato in that thread that sounded nice... I just couldn't think of a good word to link that... um... link to so I used "Houndius Shootius"...

I fully agree with a something like the eye turret and not necessarily the eye turret itself... 

O__O

Krampus...

• Developer

@Jubileet

In response to the original post- as of today your online dedicated server will also appear in your lan listings and can be joined directly through that listing.  If you join through this listing, it will use your internal network address, and it will work :)

Awesome!  Just a couple notes.  I had to change the port back to the default 10999 since I had it on 10998 before.  Also you have to change the filters tab to show LAN = Yes and not try to connect to your server when the filter is set to NO because it will fail?

Archived