Overlapping Timelines in Don't Starve? (Fan Theory)

If you happen to not have beaten Adventure Mode and don't know what happens, then SPOILER WARNING AHEAD!

Hey guys, I've been playing Don't Starve since October of last year, and I love it so much! From the game play to the characters, it's all golden!

Just last week I decided to go through Adventure Mode via debug spawning to unlock Maxwell (I would have got Wes as well, but I goofed up somewhere). I've tried doing it without debug spawning dozens or times, but I want to keep some hair left on my head, because I think I've pulled enough out just from the sneer difficulty of trying it. (How do you guys do it? Holy moly!)

Anyhow, I got through Adventure mode and made it to Maxwell. Now, I know how the ending goes and all, but what I didn't know was the whole speech Maxwell will give if you talk to him long enough before setting him free. The one that stuck out to me the most was,

"What year is it out there? Time moves differently here."

At first I didn't give it too much thought, and like I said, I know what happens when you 'beat' Adventure Mode. But just the other day I started to give it some more thought.

When you free Maxwell, he instantly turns to dust, as if his body has been on that throne far longer then when the game is set in, which is between the 1900s to the 1920s. I'm not a scientist, but I do know that depending on the external conditions and the condition of a body, it can take nearly a hundred years for a body to be reduced to dust.

Unless you add in the whole 'dark magic and spooky things' factor.

That being said, my point is this raised a possible, in my head anyway.

Maxwell has been on the Nightmare Throne far, FAR longer then the game's time-frame leads us to believe, at least 100 years. If that is the case, then that would mean Wilson (and everyone else) have been trapped on Maxwell's island for just as long. Or maybe even longer then that!

When you play the game, you'll find random skeletons in the world with some loot around, as if they died suddenly, and not to mention the gravestones you can loot as well. We do know that those remains are from other people Maxwell has taken to his island and didn't make it. Or are they?

I think most of us know by now that when you die in the game (and are able to come back) you leave behind a skeleton where you die. So I think it's safe to conclude that some, if not all those skeletons are really Wilson (or whatever other character you're playing as). And the graves will back that up too. (Sometimes the character will say 'Hey, that's MY name!', when you have them examine it)

So you have a world where time move's differently, the 'Puppet Master' that seems to have been trapped on his throne from longer then just twenty years, and up until Don't Starve Together, you play as a character, all alone, that can die over and over again, and come across his or her own skeleton(s), with seemingly no memory of dying THAT many times.

I have a feeling other fans have thought about this already, but I'm sensing some serious wibbly, wobbly time stuff going on here. So much so, that it made me raise another question:

Could this mean that the time lines of different characters could overlap?

Could the comic used to reveal Don't Starve Together (the one where Wilson is creating the portal) be proof of that? Think about it, where would the other characters come from in the first place? How the heck did Wilson know how to build a portal that would bring others into the same world as him?

My best guess to that is maybe Wilson was somehow freed from the Throne from a different character, and thanks to his time on there, he learned even more things thanks to 'Them', thus leading him to find a way to being everyone else together. That could even explain why he looked so crazy while making the portal. (See the reveal comic to see what I mean.) Being trapped on the Throne would do that, I'm betting. Ouch...

Whew

Well, what do you guys think? Comments? :3

It's all happening in a different dimension where space and time is distorted. It shouldn't be a surprise, considering that They are responsible for all this.

Don't Starve Together wasn't originally conceived when the game was being developed, in other words, the portal connecting players to one another wasn't originally part of the plot.

I don't think time travel is a good way of explaining the various aspects of the game. This isn't Steins;Gate, let me remind you. This is a story about characters being tricked by the devil, and being trapped in purgatory. No matter how many times they die, they always come back, because They want to keep their playthings.

"You've been an interesting plaything, but I've grown tired of this game."

"Or maybe They've grown tired of me."

"Heh. Took them long enough."

It's all happening in a different dimension where space and time is distorted. It shouldn't be a surprise, considering that They are responsible for all this.

Don't Starve Together wasn't originally conceived when the game was being developed, in other words, the portal connecting players to one another wasn't originally part of the plot.

I don't think time travel is a good way of explaining the various aspects of the game. This isn't Steins;Gate, let me remind you. This is a story about characters being tricked by the devil, and being trapped in purgatory. No matter how many times they die, they always come back, because They want to keep their playthings.

"You've been an interesting plaything, but I've grown tired of this game."

"Or maybe They've grown tired of me."

"Heh. Took them long enough."

Ooh, snap, you're right! I forgot that Don't Starve Together wasn't part of the original plan for the game. And the time traveling angle is no good either. Well, poop. ><;

Still, space and time being all screwed up is pretty interesting. I like the idea of the other characters being able to meet up thanks to Wilson. Makes for good fanfic material. XD

It's been said by Kevin that Don't Starve Together canonically takes place sometime after Maxwell and Wilson switch places, with some stuff they haven't told us yet in between. So I'd imagine Maxwell had a play in how Wilson is not on the Throne and how the portal was created.

Really? Where did you see this? Do you have a source for this? O.O

Responding to what @oCrapaCreeper has added, I'm guessing it's probable that:

• Maxwell "negotiated" with Them, detaching everyone's souls (including Wilson who's trapped in the throne) for everyone to be "together." Explains their ghosts when they die, and how Wilson's free.

Really? Where did you see this? Do you have a source for this? O.O

His account:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/user/202381-kevin/

You can search his posts up on Google and such.

Archived