World Customization Effect Rates

After realizing that I didn't understand exactly what most of the options for World Customization meant precisely, and upon realizing that no real explanation seemed to exist, I decided to go out and see for myself what exactly affects what. Time settings are more or less defined already and there is already a thread for world loop and world branch options, so those were not tested.

The following rates were observed at a handful of cursory glances using a mod to increase the amount of map icons, along with brief tours of the landscape. No other mods were used for testing purposes. Tests were done in the current version of single player Don't Starve; Reign of Giants was disabled for testing.

---

World Sizes

Default:
10-12 Biomes; always 2 of basic biomes (plains, meadows, forests), 1 rocky area, 1 swamp, and 1 "chaotic" biome; several smaller biomes intersecting some bigger ones

Medium:
-Roughly identical to Default

Large:
-14-16 Biomes; Same rules as Default, but prone to several repeats of basic biomes and several smaller mixed/overlapping biomes; fairly expansive

Huge:
-Approximately 20 biomes; many overlapping small biomes make it difficult to count defined regions. Same rules as Default and Large but considerably more voluminous. Biomes appear more or less larger (unsure)

Touchstones

None:
-Touchstone spawn disabled

Less:
-One

Default:
-Two

More:
-Three

Lots:
-Four

Grass

None:
-Grass Spawn disabled

Less:
-Roughly half of Default

Default:
-Light, even distribution over meadows and plains; anywhere from 20 to 50 depending on biome size. Plains can have 100-200

More:
-Anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times Default; rare grass tufts can be found spawning in inappropriate biomes

Lots:
-Anywhere from 3 to 4 times Default; grass is now densely packed in meadows/plains and spawns in all other biomes slightly less than as though they were Default's meadows

Saplings

None:
-Twig Spawn disabled

Less:
-Roughly half of Default

Default:
-Light, even distribution over meadows and throughout dense forests; anywhere from 20 to 50 depending on biome size

More:
-Anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times Default; rare saplings can be found spawning in inappropriate biomes

Lots:
-Anywhere from 3 to 4 times Default; saplings are now densely packed in meadows/forests and spawn in all other biomes slightly less than as though they were Default's meadows

Spike Bushes

None:
-Spike bush spawn disabled

Less:
-Roughly half of Default

Default:
-Light distribution across swamps; compare to Default's grass spawn rate

More:
-Roughly double Default's spawn; occasional bushes can be found in all other biomes

Lots:
-Anywhere from 3 to 4 times Default; spike bushes now spawn in all other biomes at Default's rate in swamps

Reeds

None:
-Reed spawn disabled

Less:
-Roughly half of Default

Default:
-Spawns in swamps akin to grass in meadows

More:
-Roughly double Default; odd reeds can now be found in all other biomes

Lots:
-Anywhere from 3 to 4 times Default; reeds now spawn in all other biomes at Default's rate in swamps

Trees

None:
-Sad Lorax

Less:
-Roughly half of Default

Default:
-Spawns densely in most forest biomes and can be found lightly scattered across meadows and the 'chaotic' biome

More:
-Doubles Default's spawn rate; odd trees now found in biomes that they should not. Dying connifers also begin randomly spawning; spike trees also seem affected. All can be found randomly in small amounts in all biomes.

Lots:
-Roughly triple of Default's spawn rate; all biomes now spawn all varieties of trees as though they were light forests.

NOTE: In both More and Lots, a script error (scripts/mainfunctions.lua(122,1 Can't find prefab randomtreeandleif) revealed that the game tried to spawn Treeguards in fixed locations, sleeping or wandering. Whether it was because of a naturally-occurring boon or because of the increased tree spawn rate is unclear. Despite the error, later it was revealed that the spawn succeeded, yet the error message seems to indicate that it somehow did not. Whether it succeeded in one place and failed in another, or that the message was a false error, is also not clear.

Boulders

None:
-Boulder spawn disabled

Less:
-Roughly half of Default

Default:
-Spawn in rocky outcroppings or dirt fields like grass or twigs; a handful of nitre rocks can be found in dense forests and in plains

More:
-Spawn rate doubles; both gold and nitre-type rocks spawn in all biomes at roughly the same rate as Default's plains. Now possible to find non-boon rock-only bearing boulders.

Lots:
-Spawn rate in rocky/dirt biomes tripled; all biomes now spawn Boulders as though they were Default rocky/dirt biomes. Rock-only boulders spawn evenly with nitre and gold-bearing boulders in areas where boulders would not be found normally.

Gear Monsters

None:
-Gear monster spawn disabled

Less:
-Half of Default (?; unclear)

Default:
-Found in groups of 2 or 4+ exclusively in specific boons or guarding Things or the portal (unclear how it will affect Don't Starve Together)

More:
-All gear creatures can be found evenly distributed across the landscape regardless of biome; it is also highly likely to spawn dangerously close to one upon entering the world. Spawn rates of gear monsters scripted to be found at boons or at Thing/portal locations appears unchanged.

Lots:
-Double of More's rate. Extremely chaotic and difficult to move without triggering aggro from various gear monsters in any direction.

-----

I assume that the spawn rates for Weather, Flowers, Carrots, Flint, Rocks, Berry bushes, Mandrakes, Mushrooms, Boons, Rabbit holes, Pigs, Ponds, Bee hives, Beefalo herds, Tallbirds, Spiders, Merms, MacTusk camps, and Tentacles all follow the general pattern of the above tested rates, as they are all either biome-exclusive spawns or spawn at constant rates worldwide. Did not test for Birds, Butterflies, Pengulls, Gobblers, Beefalo mating seasons, tracks, Krampus, or Lureplants, because they would take time and I am a very lazy man. Assume the same general pattern as the others, except with spawn caps and spawn timers involved.

Hounds were tested, but even under More or Lots did not appear to affect the world generation in any way; no Hound Mounds located. In Reign of Giants, Hound mounds are a seperate world gen option, so it appears that you just can't mess with Hound mounds in the vanilla game or in Don't Starve Together. The options appear only to affect the rate of Hound attacks; at Lots the timer for the next wave is effectively halved, or perhaps even less, giving you more Hounds not per wave but over time.

Lightning has not been tested, but appears to follow the same rule of thumb as some other world gen options: None is none, Less is half, but then More and Lots begin to apply lightning across the world at all times, even when it's not raining.

Hope someone finds this useful.

I assume that the spawn rates for Weather, Lightning, Flowers, Carrots, Flint, Rocks, Berry bushes, Mandrakes, Mushrooms, Boons, Rabbit holes, Pigs, Ponds, Bee hives, Beefalo herds, Tallbirds, Spiders, Merms, MacTusk camps, and Tentacles all follow the general pattern of the above tested rates, as they are all either biome-exclusive spawns or spawn at constant rates worldwide. Did not test for Birds, Butterflies, Pengulls, Gobblers, Beefalo mating seasons, tracks, Krampus, or Lureplants, because they would take time and I am a very lazy man. Assume the same general pattern as the others, except with spawn caps and spawn timers involved.

Hounds were tested, but even under More or Lots did not appear to affect the world generation in any way; no Hound Mounds located. The options appear only to affect the rate and/or volume of Hound attacks as time goes by. Did not wait because, again, highly lazy. Assume the general pattern as other spawn rates unless proven otherwise. I can only speculate the effect it would have in Reign of Giants.

Hope someone finds this useful.

First, good work here.

Second thing I'd like to say is I have two bits of information to add.

the hounds worldgen option changes only hound waves, not hound mounds. In ROG, you get another option for hound mounds (although, you can add in hound mounds from the code directly, as they are, in fact, in the code for the base game[see adventure mode]) 

Secondly, for lightning, if you set it to lots (or I believe even more) you get lightning even when it's not raining

I'm working on a worldgen mod to "fix" this, but scrapping all the code that is currently used for custom world generation is proving to be quite a task.

Hm. Interesting findings! I'll add them in here.

There seem to be two kinds of world gen types in regards to specific elements of the game: something that increases their odds, or something that increases them globally.

I say this because there seems to be an exceptionally low chance for grass to spawn in, say, a forest. You'll see an odd piece here or there but it's like one out of how many hundreds of trees? And it's nonexistent in other biomes, theoretically, because I would assume that the odds of it spawning there are effectively zero. As the rate for the spawn goes up, so does the spawn chance. At max it's almost identical to what it should have been at Default. With this kind you're just messing with percentages.

And then there's meteors (with Don't Starve Together; some unintended testing has gone into that as well), lightning, and clockwork monsters, who only exist in certain areas under certain circumstances. Lightning is normally when it rains and no other time, meteors seem to only exist near or around 'chaotic' or rocky biomes over time, and clockwork monsters don't exist at all unless in a fixed location. And so when it increases the spawn rate, it just sort of forgoes the whole "in a certain place at a certain time" condition and slathers it evenly across the world regardless of circumstances. The results are usually insane and sometimes make playing for extended periods of time nay impossible.

I've also noticed the increased spawn settings for Hounds will potentially halve the amount of time you need to wait for the first wave to show up. I haven't noticed any exceptionally high spike in the AMOUNT of Hounds per wave, just the amount of waves as time goes on. I'll note that in the settings too.

Archived