Suggestions for next DLC

I'd just like to start with saying I love Don't Starve a LOT. The art style is beautiful, the soundtrack gorgeous, the gameplay surprisingly fair in it's tough challenge and unforgiving nature. And it's because of that I get inspired to figure out suggestions for improvements.

So, now with the Don't Starve game and it's DLC Reign of Giants out, regardless of how amazing and awesome they are, I've been pondering about some things that could be worth to put into consideration if there should ever be a second DLC (which I truly hope there will be).

I'll separate my suggestions with points to keep it simple:

* Hills, and hillside caves. Especially with caves - I'm not suggesting any complex indepth-going stuff like the already existing underground caves - but more like a small ingoing hole on a hillside to hide away from the rain and such. And speaking of cover from the rain...

* Actual houses. As it is, you can build the floor with a fence going around it. But, no actual walls or doors or roof. Imagine the possibilities - with such simple small add-ons, we'd be able to build our own towns with no problems. :-)

* The ability to create our own custom character. I mean, after all, the already existing characters seem to be all based on the same mold and basic figure and functions.

* Boats and piers, and more variation of water life for you to fish up. ^_^

* Include a new unlockable character - Gretel, in similar style of the two Newgrounds games Gretel and Hansel 1-2. I've always felt like you took some inspiration from those games - to have the playable character from those as a playable character here would be beyond awesome. Heck, she could have Hansel following her like Chester, and you can throw in stuff into his mouth to store. XD And if you'd include Gretel as a playable character, one more suggestion...

* Include witches as enemies, and have them have their own houses for you to go into and fight them along with other possible creepy things that could be found in there to encounter.

So, yeah. These are just my own personal suggestions for the next possible DLC for Don't Starve. :-) Or, if you're already working on a sequel to the game, then maybe these are things worth to put into consideration for that game instead. ^_^

I think they should add doors or gates to the game to give your base a shield. because anything can just walk right in without a door unless u completely seal yourself in then YOU can't get out unless u hammer a piece down. Otherwise i don't really see the purpose of using walls lol.

Lampofulmine's group is already working on it , and it is sure a big mod just like U&A and HITD.

OH AND BTW 

brace yourselves Lampofulmine and Xirmix is about to post!

* Hills, and hillside caves. Especially with caves - I'm not suggesting any complex indepth-going stuff like the already existing underground caves - but more like a small ingoing hole on a hillside to hide away from the rain and such. And speaking of cover from the rain...  

* Actual houses. As it is, you can build the floor with a fence going around it. But, no actual walls or doors or roof. Imagine the possibilities - with such simple small add-ons, we'd be able to build our own towns with no problems.  

* The ability to create our own custom character. I mean, after all, the already existing characters seem to be all based on the same mold and basic figure and functions.  

*Boats and piers, and more variation of water life for you to fish up. ^_^  

* Include a new unlockable character - Gretel, in similar style of the two Newgrounds games Gretel and Hansel 1-2. I've always felt like you took some inspiration from those games - to have the playable character from those as a playable character here would be beyond awesome. Heck, she could have Hansel following her like Chester, and you can throw in stuff into his mouth to store. XD And if you'd include Gretel as a playable character, one more suggestion...  

* Include witches as enemies, and have them have their own houses for you to go into and fight them along with other possible creepy things that could be found in there to encounter.

So just lemme comment two or three things... First of all shall we say that DS is a Survival Game correct ?! The game is supposed to be challenging and fun because the player CANNOT build an advanced base/outpost with structures (e.g. houses, gates...) that would make the surviving non sense as the player would be protected by everything/anything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most if not all structures in DS are related to short-term survival, obviously making so that the player has to make multiple bases OR change world after some time. If you would have to have craft able houses and fences/gates from the beginning it would become a very "building & improving" more than a "surviving & exploring" experience.  I believe Klei wouldn't like to have a game which would resemble a lot THE SIMS. (Btw there should already be a mod for houses if I'm not wrong)

Second point, witches & Hansel & Gretel. Well, to be fair without being rude, I don't think there's even a slight chance that Klei is going to implement that. Its too much "fairy tale" to be included in a proper DSL and the game would just lose a bit of seriousness. UP&AWAY team, decided to base their mod on the fairy tale of the Beanstalk (I'm not native english so don't know it precisely BUT you know what I'm talking about) and more than saying WELL DONE i cannot critic their choice. BUT thats a MOD ,created by a team of people outside Klei, and not a new DSL. In my opinion though, i wouldn't like to play as Hansel or Gretel and fight witches, DS has a totally different style.

Third point, Characters. Nowadays the game has been overwhelmed by the enormous amount of New Characters created by ANY modders as they don't require much time for both art and coding. In few words, i think i wouldn't play DS anymore if there's was the chance to create your own custom character because again it would feel like a totally different game. Its DS we are playing not the Wii where you can create your customized Mii. How much would you customize your character ?! Change health sanity and hunger too ? I think that would be too much of a mess for Klei to implement for just a little thing.

Last point, hills and hillside caves. At this point, the only thing i believe Klei could do to improve DS experience is to expand the current world features and thats the reason for which me and my team are creating an Underwater mod ("Creeps in the Deeps"). Adding hills and hillsides could be a very interesting addition (we are planning to add rivers, so roughly on the same line) , although i have no idea on how the hardcore mechanics should be changed to do that. I mean mobs would have to walk on them as well as the player and this would change the actual gravity forces implemented in the game where everything (apart birds) stick to the ground.

In conclusion, I wanted to give you the most detailed feedback of what i think of your suggestions. I had no intention in being rude or saying those were horrible ideas, i just gave my very frank opinion without sparing anything.  :loyal: Keep it up with new ideas but may i suggest to give a rapid skim to the DS /DLC mods list ? Cause there have been so many mods that most of the times you find out that what you suggest was already created some time ago ! 

I'd just like to start with saying I love Don't Starve a LOT. The art style is beautiful, the soundtrack gorgeous, the gameplay surprisingly fair in it's tough challenge and unforgiving nature. And it's because of that I get inspired to figure out suggestions for improvements.

So, now with the Don't Starve game and it's DLC Reign of Giants out, regardless of how amazing and awesome they are, I've been pondering about some things that could be worth to put into consideration if there should ever be a second DLC (which I truly hope there will be).

I'll separate my suggestions with points to keep it simple:

* Actual houses. As it is, you can build the floor with a fence going around it. But, no actual walls or doors or roof. Imagine the possibilities - with such simple small add-ons, we'd be able to build our own towns with no problems. :-)

So, yeah. These are just my own personal suggestions for the next possible DLC for Don't Starve. :-) Or, if you're already working on a sequel to the game, then maybe these are things worth to put into consideration for that game instead. ^_^

1. I kind of like the idea of hills, but I think the game is better flat.

2. This is an exploration game, not a "sit there and dont do anything" game.

3. Mods.

4. A group of modders are working on adding this.

5. The names don't begin with W, amd I'm pretty sure Klei enjoys making original characters rather than using old ones.

6. No.

Love the game!!!!! Would really like to see more settings for the "custom settings" like being able to set the different stats to "more" or "lots" on PS4 (PC shouldn't be the only ones) and more control over other things like overheating

Archived