Shank 2 for Linux

Nanthiel

Hello!

I downloaded Shank 2 from the Humble Bundle 7 page, and I must be crazy or something, but I can't find an actual executable for Shank 2 in my .tar.gz download. There's just library files and resources. How do I run it?

Thank you, Nanthiel

Edited by Nanthiel

Hey Nanthiel!

I have the same problem here!

i've extracted the program in a terminal and show me this:

Shank 2/data/movies/05_int_000.ogv

Shank 2/data/movies/07_end_pos_000.ogv

Shank 2/data/movies/01_ult_001.ogv

Shank 2/data/movies/01_int_003.ogv

Shank 2/data/movies/08_ult_001.ogv

Shank 2/data/movies/02_end_000.ogv

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated

tar: Final-de-arquivo inesperado no arquivo-tar -------> tar: unexpected eof in archive

tar: Final-de-arquivo inesperado no arquivo-tar -------> tar: unexpected eof in archive

tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

The hash of md5sum seems perfect:

pedrohenrique@PH-Desktop:~/Downloads/Humble Bundle 7$ md5sum shank2-linux-b8.tar.gz && cat shank2md5

36ac38385df6fc2743b9e94266ac7e35 shank2-linux-b8.tar.gz

36ac38385df6fc2743b9e94266ac7e35

I dont know what i have to do

PS: sorry my poor english.

Edited by risislunit
error on the post

I have exactly the same problem. It seems like the archive is corrupted. It is not a download issue, the file as present on the servers is corrupted so it doesn't matter how many times you check it or download it or with which application.

As with the previous persons, I have correct md5sums but the file is still corrupted and can't be extracted. I found no way to recover or repair the archive so please fix this as Soon as possible because we payed to play this game.

Thanks.

For the original poster: Can you please change the title of this into something like "Can't extract archive Shank 2 for Linux" so that more people can easier identify it? I think there will be a lot of comments here Soon... I hope a fix will also come Soon. I actually bought the Indie Bundle for this game only.

hi,

i bought the game (HIB7) and i cant extract the file from the tarball. i tried the torrent download and the direct download. both versions seem to be corrupted.

could someone plz rename this thread, cuz i think we are not the only ones having troubles with it :)

i hope to see this fixed Soon

Confirmed on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64bit.

Neither the direct download nor the bittorrent one can be extracted. The md5sum for both downloads of shank2-linux-b8.tar.gz is "36ac38385df6fc2743b9e94266ac7e35":

> md5sum shank2-linux-b8.tar.gz 
36ac38385df6fc2743b9e94266ac7e35 shank2-linux-b8.tar.gz

Console output of tar:

> tar -xzf shank2-linux-b8.tar.gz 

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive

For the original poster: Can you please change the title of this into something like "Can't extract archive Shank 2 for Linux" so that more people can easier identify it? I think there will be a lot of comments here Soon... I hope a fix will also come Soon. I actually bought the Indie Bundle for this game only.

I had no problems unpacking the archive. But seems it's a more common issue than the missing file. I don't know why I didn't get an error. Will update the title.

@Nanthiel - You have the same problem as we do. Some GUI archiving tool may suppress the error, or just show something neutral message. I was also able to extract a lot of file, but at some point it just can't find / extract the rest of the files. This is when the error appears in the console and this is why you had no executable.

• Developer

Hey all,

We're currently working with the Humble Bundle team to try to address this situation.

We're planning to make an updated Linux package available later this morning which should solve the problem.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

Hey all,

We're currently working with the Humble Bundle team to try to address this situation.

We're planning to make an updated Linux package available later this morning which should solve the problem.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

Great to hear that. Please leave here a message when it's done so we start downloading again.

Afternoon all, there is an updated version of Shank 2 Linux available now which should hopefully extract and function correctly.

Thanks so much for your patience!

Still getting the same extract error after downloading again. Below is the error:

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error

tar: Child returned status 1

Afternoon all, there is an updated version of Shank 2 Linux available now which should hopefully extract and function correctly.

Thanks so much for your patience!

Thank you, this works great.

For all! I got the archive in the torrent. To start a game, do the following steps. Open your console in the current folder archive game and type:

gunzip shank2-Linux-b10.tar.gz

Konsole freezes for a few minutes. Decompression in the process. Аfter

tar xvf shank2-Linux-b10.tar

This will create a folder named Shank 2. Go to the / bin and run shank2-bin. Enjoy.

PS. I forgot to say I have Kubuntu 12.04. Should work for all versions _ubutnu 12.04.

Edited by my1ord

This will create a folder named Shank 2. Go to the / bin and run shank2-bin. Enjoy.

It's a bit silly to have to cd into bin first.

Can the script please be adjusted to be able to launch it from any directory, please?

You just need to put something like this at the top of the script (after the shebang):

DIR=`readlink -f "$0"`

cd "`dirname "$DIR"`"

I've hacked my copy that way.

A .desktop file would be super too.