Summer feels like a Winter reskin

There's already a topic about this, but it's kind of filled with hatred and I was planning on making a next thread anyway, since I just started playing RoG, so here goes.

I think my only real complaint about the Summer is that it feels artificial, like it's a reskin of the Winter. Winter feels really organic, like the rest of the game: it's getting cold, so you make more fires. In the Summer it's hot so you... make more fires? Even though cold fires are really interesting, they feel like a reskin of the regular fires, like they were hammered into the game forcefully. It works really well as a mechanic, but it's the exact same mechanic used during the Winter!

Another problem I have with that season is that it doesn't feel hot in the same way the the Winter feels cold. Winter feels cold mostly because of the snow, and it's really hard to capture the same feeling for the Summer (there's no equivalent to snow). But I think the "overheat" screen effect could be improved and the characters should have some sort of "sweating" animation. I'm not sure what else could be done to make it feel hot for the player, maybe the characters should take off their clothes or something? Perhaps make the screen more orange.

As I said, these are both pretty hard issues to address and I'm sure you spent a lot of time thinking about them already, but I really wish there were some small tweaks to improve the season.

I've said a few things about getting the Summer to feel hotter, so about getting it to feel less like a reskin of the Winter, I still think the endothermic fires should be focused on. Like I said, you use them too similarly to the regular fires of the Winter, so ideally you'd want to replace the mechanic with a more unique one. Maybe separate the items used for illumination and for keeping cool.

TL;DR: Summer feels too much like a reskin of the Winter and doesn't feel hot enough, so make it more unique.

I think there's definitely things they could do to make Summer more interesting. Maybe have the character overheat because of labor, with some things, like using pickaxes and spears and axes on boulders, enemies, and trees respectively making you overheat quicker than just walking around or collecting berries. It makes getting resources more difficult while making it different. And their animations could involve them sweating and fanning their faces with their hands when overheating, similar to the shivering animation in Winter when freezing.

I also think that instead of only relying on endothermic fires, maybe they could add water bottles or something. Instead of overheating by not being near an endothermic fire, they overheat by not drinking water. They're able to collect it at ponds(not ocean, it's salty and undrinkable), and can make you go longer if you mix it with ice and/or various fruits. The endothermic fires will still be there, but it will make it more like summer rather than having it like winter where you have to constantly keep rushing back to a fire. 

Archived