Console Commands Only Work For Host?

Hello, new to the forum.

I have been using console commands/cheats to build "creative" maps on Don't Starve Together on open servers that I am hosting without any hiccups.

However, when I join another server console commands seem to have no effect.

For c_spawning or c_giving, for example, c_spawn("piggyback", 1) under the cursor the piggyback will show up on the screen but it will not allow me to pick it up and equip it. Tried this with many items: logs, campfire, etc.

For c_speed(x), the character will move at the desired speed for about a second, and then bug back to the spot where I started running, and repeats to a point where I may as well be going at the original speed for the character.

A player who hosted me on a server confirmed that when I spawned, items did NOT show up on his screen for him, but when he used a console command to spawn or give, I was able to interact.

Are console commands disabled for non-hosts? Is there a way to enable it?

Are console commands disabled for non-hosts?
Yes
Is there a way to enable it?
Not really. There is a system in place for designating players as admins for dedicated servers, but it's not very user-friendly at the moment, may not work for non-dedicated servers, and I don't think it will do what you want it to do.