[Tutorial] Using Extended Sample Character Template

Dragon Wolf Leo

Okay, so, I've managed to get every set for compiling, however, I can't find the mod tool specified in your guide (No actual link to the download) And thus cannot compile the mod. I've checked the steam workshop for both DS, and DST, and couldn't find it, would you mind replying with a link?

First off, thanks a lot for the reply!

Secondly, Thanks for telling me how to edit the pivot points, that will come in handy! Now all I need to know is how to, ehem, pin the tail to the chocobo. What I mean is, how to I affix the segments to the main part of the body; like such:

ztkDclA.png

(Looks better than my first sketches, doesn't it?)

Now, this isn't indicative of any actual progress, all I did was add "tail-13" ect to the tail directory and tessellate them into place in Spriter. Now, while I appreciate the simplicity of your original suggestion, I believe we can both agree the the tail's behavior in profile POV is awkward. The above image is the kind of behavior I am wanting in the finished mod, all 5 of the tail feathers in the back sharing a pivot point, and three feathers visible on the profile. As far as I can tell this requires me to tell how to pin the pivot points to the layer below them? And also how to move layers up and down on the "z" axis, if it's called that?

I am kind of pumped about this, actually. I didn't think I'd do so well both qualitatively and quantitatively on the art assets, I should have all the .png's done by tommarrow! If I can get Wark arted, assembled, traited, and tested by Tuesday I would be tickled pink! Also, I was thinking of making the ghost an egg. Do you think that would be funny?

Finally, is it posible to just edit a charecter's ghost speech file without editing everyones?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Okay, so, I've managed to get every set for compiling, however, I can't find the mod tool specified in your guide (No actual link to the download) And thus cannot compile the mod. I've checked the steam workshop for both DS, and DST, and couldn't find it, would you mind replying with a link?

Try this:

Open Steam

Navigate to your Library page.

Above the list of your games there is a search bar; next to it is the word "Games"

Click "Games" and a drop down menu will appear, click tools.

The Tools are arranged alphabetically; find and double click on the "Don't Starve Mod Tools."

E9kpvvr.png

Try this:   Open Steam Navigate to your Library page. Above the list of your games there is a search bar; next to it is the word "Games" Click "Games" and a drop down menu will appear, click tools. The Tools are arranged alphabetically; find and double click on the "Don't Starve Mod Tools."

Thanks a million! Gosh, I wasted so much time looking! You're awesome! 

Hey! Thanks for the tutorial! So, I was (trying) to mod Don't Starve Together Beta. However I'm too stupid for this kind of thing, and I've came across this error:

http://prntscr.com/5m8fh3

The only part of the tutorial I've followed was renaming the character. After that I decided to try out to see if everything was going on ok, and this happened. If I press "I understand" the game crashes. Any idea what might I have done wrong? I've already tried to "remake" the mod twice I think.

Hey! Thanks for the tutorial! So, I was (trying) to mod Don't Starve Together Beta. However I'm too stupid for this kind of thing, and I've came across this error:

http://prntscr.com/5m8fh3

The only part of the tutorial I've followed was renaming the character. After that I decided to try out to see if everything was going on ok, and this happened. If I press "I understand" the game crashes. Any idea what might I have done wrong? I've already tried to "remake" the mod twice I think.

Nevermind that  :friendly_wink:.

First off, thanks a lot for the reply!

Secondly, Thanks for telling me how to edit the pivot points, that will come in handy! Now all I need to know is how to, ehem, pin the tail to the chocobo. What I mean is, how to I affix the segments to the main part of the body; like such:

ztkDclA.png

(Looks better than my first sketches, doesn't it?)

Now, this isn't indicative of any actual progress, all I did was add "tail-13" ect to the tail directory and tessellate them into place in Spriter. Now, while I appreciate the simplicity of your original suggestion, I believe we can both agree the the tail's behavior in profile POV is awkward. The above image is the kind of behavior I am wanting in the finished mod, all 5 of the tail feathers in the back sharing a pivot point, and three feathers visible on the profile. As far as I can tell this requires me to tell how to pin the pivot points to the layer below them? And also how to move layers up and down on the "z" axis, if it's called that?

I am kind of pumped about this, actually. I didn't think I'd do so well both qualitatively and quantitatively on the art assets, I should have all the .png's done by tommarrow! If I can get Wark arted, assembled, traited, and tested by Tuesday I would be tickled pink! Also, I was thinking of making the ghost an egg. Do you think that would be funny?

Finally, is it posible to just edit a charecter's ghost speech file without editing everyones?

Thanks a lot for the help!

The template character by default shares the same animations as the standard characters. In order to add a new tail, you may need to give your character custom animations. It's not something I know much about doing, so you may need to check other tutorials if you're considering this.

The only other alternative I can think of is drawing the tail in the hairpigtails slot instead, and of course this may mean changing image dimensions and pivot locations. This is actually something I did in an earlier version of my Zinnia mod, before I knew an actual tail slot existed. Hairpigtails-0 is only used in the front and back views, while hairpigtails-2 is only used in the profile view. This may result in the tail looking a bit "loose", since the pivots are pinned at the back of the head, but I personally don't think it's too jarring.

Making the ghost an egg is an interesting idea. I love it.

I have no idea how to edit a character's ghost speech. I don't even know where the speech file is. :/

Also, do you mind if I use your tutorial image for finding the mod tools?

The template character by default shares the same animations as the standard characters. In order to add a new tail, you may need to give your character custom animations. It's not something I know much about doing, so you may need to check other tutorials if you're considering this.

The only other alternative I can think of is drawing the tail in the hairpigtails slot instead, and of course this may mean changing image dimensions and pivot locations. This is actually something I did in an earlier version of my Zinnia mod, before I knew an actual tail slot existed. Hairpigtails-0 is only used in the front and back views, while hairpigtails-2 is only used in the profile view. This may result in the tail looking a bit "loose", since the pivots are pinned at the back of the head, but I personally don't think it's too jarring.

Making the ghost an egg is an interesting idea. I love it.

I have no idea how to edit a character's ghost speech. I don't even know where the speech file is. :/

Also, do you mind if I use your tutorial image for finding the mod tools?

Since I have the art assets 90 percent done, and I am not completely ashamed of how it all looks, I will make a post in the mod forum asking all for help. I guess I will also spend time reading other tutorials while I wait for helpful replies. Thanks a lot for your help, man!

Also, be my guest, it was just a screencap uploaded to imgur so it is pretty public domain at this point!

hi i just started to try to make my own character and ran into a bit of trouble after trying to test the character the message says

[string "../mods/workshop-365428010/modmain.lua"]:30: '=' expected near 'rabbit'

any help would be awesome lol the characters name is frosty rabbit lol

@Dleowolf
Hello; I came across your tutorial and downloaded the Extended Sample Character 1.1.1 and was able to run it just fine on DST.

I downloaded the Don't Starve Mod Tools on Steam and Notepad++.

I did ctrl+shift+F to replace esctemplace with yourcharacter and ESCTEMPLATE with YOURCHARACTER, then manually renamed the names of the files to match yourcharacter.  I deleted the .xml files and .tex files and the zip files in the anim folder.  I dragged the folder onto the helper file for it to compile correctly, moved the folder into the Don't Starve mod folder and ran Don't Starve.  Then I moved my folder back to the Don't Starve Together mod folder and ran Don't Starve Together. When I go to Mods and enable the mod, it gives me this error: 

http://puu.sh/dPZ67/5f86b75844.jpg

I understand another user has mentioned having a similar, if not the same, error, but the reply he received was to ignore it and click on "I understand."  When I click on "I understand", I get another error where Steam crashes, as shown in the screenshot.  Then the game crashes.  The game also crashes when I click on "Disable Mods".  

I have not even begun to attempt to edit the image files.  I can't even get the mod to run after I rename the character and files.

What am I doing wrong?  ):

hi i just started to try to make my own character and ran into a bit of trouble after trying to test the character the message says

[string "../mods/workshop-365428010/modmain.lua"]:30: '=' expected near 'rabbit'

any help would be awesome lol the characters name is frosty rabbit lol

You didn't leave a space in "frosty rabbit" did you? I would imagine that causing an error.

@Dleowolf

Hello; I came across your tutorial and downloaded the Extended Sample Character 1.1.1 and was able to run it just fine on DST.

I downloaded the Don't Starve Mod Tools on Steam and Notepad++.

I did ctrl+shift+F to replace esctemplace with yourcharacter and ESCTEMPLATE with YOURCHARACTER, then manually renamed the names of the files to match yourcharacter.  I deleted the .xml files and .tex files and the zip files in the anim folder.  I dragged the folder onto the helper file for it to compile correctly, moved the folder into the Don't Starve mod folder and ran Don't Starve.  Then I moved my folder back to the Don't Starve Together mod folder and ran Don't Starve Together. When I go to Mods and enable the mod, it gives me this error: 

http://puu.sh/dPZ67/5f86b75844.jpg

I understand another user has mentioned having a similar, if not the same, error, but the reply he received was to ignore it and click on "I understand."  When I click on "I understand", I get another error where Steam crashes, as shown in the screenshot.  Then the game crashes.  The game also crashes when I click on "Disable Mods".  

I have not even begun to attempt to edit the image files.  I can't even get the mod to run after I rename the character and files.

What am I doing wrong?  ):

I haven't tried the helper file myself. I put it there at the request of the person who provided it. Could you check if the wallace.tex and wallace.xml has appeared in place of the esctemplate.tex and esctemplate.xml?

Hey, me again, quick question, there's a lack of ghost sprites being displayed from my custom character, I've tried recompiling but it doesn't appear on screen, and it also lacks a hitbox, any suggestions for a fix?

I took a look at your mod on the workshop. You want to rename ghost_esctemplate_build as well.

I have a question, at first my scml compiled automatically but now no matter what I do, it won't update anymore. I already tried dragging the file onto the compiler.cmd but it did not work. What am I doing wrong? I only edited all the png's and looked at them with spriter. Do I forget something?

Hello, I got a problema and i dont know what is causin it
Each time i launch DST and Open the Mods Menu, my Character its "Crashed!" but the modicon works

When i enable it, it starts Loading and then the game Freezes in Main Menu

Why is this Happening?

Hello, I got a problem and i dont know what is causin it
Each time i launch DST and Open the Mods Menu, my Character its "Crashed!" but the modicon works

When i enable it, it starts Loading and then the game Freezes in Main Menu

Why is this Happening?

I am having trouble with changing my character art. Everything else I was able to figure out. If anyone could walk me through it step by step since I am brand new to it I would REALLY appreciate it! Nothing I do seems to appear in game.

Step 0: Make sure you have the Modtools downloaded from the Steam workshop

Step 1: Make sure all the 'esctemplate' names are replaced by your character name (ALL of them)

Step 2: In the map 'exported' make sure all the .png files are replaced by your own(or just a few to test it like the head) maintaining the original trancparency, width and height (not the esctemplate_cleared map).

Step 3: Go to esctemplate zip in anim and make sure the build file in it is renamed with the buildRenamer tool mentioned in this tutorial (without unzipping the original. What I do with Windows is unzip it once, change the build file with the buildRenamer and then drag that single file in the still zipped original.

Step 4: Give the whole map a unique name and not the same as you tried before so its forced to compile it again when you open Don't starve.

Step 5: If it still doesn't work, just grab a fresh template and the first thing you do WITHOUT renaming stuff is the steps above and then I promise you it works. After that you can copy paste the rest of your mod in the fresh template again.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I have a question, at first my scml compiled automatically but now no matter what I do, it won't update anymore. I already tried dragging the file onto the compiler.cmd but it did not work. What am I doing wrong? I only edited all the png's and looked at them with spriter. Do I forget something?

the ol' "I DONT WANT TO UPDATE ITS NOT UPDATED AND I KNOW ITS NOT BECAUSE IM DONT STARVE" gimmic eh,

I bypassed this by bumping one spriter image and then bumping it back into place and saving the .scml

dst mod tools checks if the .scml has been changed in order to compress.

"Open the .scml with Spriter, which comes with Don't Starve Mod Tools"

Am I missing something? Everyone refers to these Don't Starve Mod tools... and I can not find them anywhere! I am sure I am just being silly.

Thanks for the awesome guide by the way! Hope I can make my character soon =3

the ol' "I DONT WANT TO UPDATE ITS NOT UPDATED AND I KNOW ITS NOT BECAUSE IM DONT STARVE" gimmic eh,

I bypassed this by bumping one spriter image and then bumping it back into place and saving the .scml

dst mod tools checks if the .scml has been changed in order to compress.

Yeah I managed to get it working by just refilling a new template and starting with the art. Opening the sprite editor or saving in it did not seem to work sadly. Thanks for the reply though, my mod is online :-). It's the wolf hehe.

Edited by Folthan

"Open the .scml with Spriter, which comes with Don't Starve Mod Tools"

Am I missing something? Everyone refers to these Don't Starve Mod tools... and I can not find them anywhere! I am sure I am just being silly.

Thanks for the awesome guide by the way! Hope I can make my character soon =3

Zchu I had to search for it myself too. Just open steam application and go to Library->Tools->Don't Starve Mod Tools

Hi there!
First, thanks for this tutorial, I'm almost done with my custom character, it really helped me out alot. The explanation for everything is quite easy to follow.
Second, just like many other posts i read already I'm a noob, my first mod, and I don't know too much about this stuff, so my problem may be obvious. Also sorry if it was already asked, but i searched the forum and the web for like two days now and read I believe this entire thread now and couldn't find the answer, only one or two people who came up with a solution themselves, but did not say what it was.
What I am trieing is to make a "Dullahan" kind of character (from irish mythology, kind of like the headless horseman). I want the character to be able to remove her head for some gameplay stuff. At first i tried doing this the way Wolfgang does, by changing the build. But this never seemed to work and when i was looking in the code of Hats.lua i tried to just use animstate:Hide on the head, but i can't seem to hide the face. The problem i have with the Wolfgang method is that i have two .zip files, one with and one without head. When i try to load both the game crashes, when i load one, no matter which it works. I'm really sorry if this was asked already, but i really could not find any help for this problem, asking is pretty much my last idea. I also looked into the code of vanilla and mod characters with transformation ability but it did not help either. I believe the problem is with the .zip files but i don't know. I would really appreciate any help on either of my methods. Also, sorry for my english.