[Tutorial] Using Extended Sample Character Template

Dragon Wolf Leo

The tutorial is great so far. The steps are easy to follow and all, but I am having an issue at the part of the tutorial where it first says to "Test your mod". I'm making the mod for DST, and the mod's character name is Voxel. Here is the message I get when it crashes:

WqQiGu1.jpg

If I click "I understand" the game instantly crashes. Little help?

The tutorial is great so far. The steps are easy to follow and all, but I am having an issue at the part of the tutorial where it first says to "Test your mod". I'm making the mod for DST, and the mod's character name is Voxel. Here is the message I get when it crashes:

WqQiGu1.jpg

If I click "I understand" the game instantly crashes. Little help?

Try uploading the mod first to normal dont starve so it can properly compile. Then after that copy the compiled folder to your DST mod folder. Hope it works, it did for me.

Try uploading the mod first to normal dont starve so it can properly compile. Then after that copy the compiled folder to your DST mod folder. Hope it works, it did for me.

It works perfectly in normal Don't Starve, but after I copy it to DST, it does the same thing again...

It works perfectly in normal Don't Starve, but after I copy it to DST, it does the same thing again...

Alright for me the game also froze because some components I used in normal dont starve dont work in the multiplayer one. Try removing all the special traits from your character. If that doesn't work, then I hope someone else can help you :(.

Alright for me the game also froze because some components I used in normal dont starve dont work in the multiplayer one. Try removing all the special traits from your character. If that doesn't work, then I hope someone else can help you :(.

I haven't added any special traits. I'm still at the part where it says "Now would be a good time to test your mod." Right after adding the dialogues and all. Not sure if that changes anything, but I figured it was worth mentioning. Thanks for trying, though. :)

UPDATE: Alright, well, I was able to fix the error by renaming all the things that was suppose to be optional for DST. For some reason for me I guess some of them weren't. Anywho, the only thing that doesn't work now is that, even though the speech file is in and it doesn't crash it or anything, it's just that... the character in the game uses Wilson's speech files for some reason.

mmmh, compiler isnt generating the .tex etc files that it was supposed to (using the helper as I couldnt figure out how to do it through CMD)

mmmh, compiler isnt generating the .tex etc files that it was supposed to (using the helper as I couldnt figure out how to do it through CMD)

UPDATE: Alright, well, I was able to fix the error by renaming all the things that was suppose to be optional for DST. For some reason for me I guess some of them weren't. Anywho, the only thing that doesn't work now is that, even though the speech file is in and it doesn't crash it or anything, it's just that... the character in the game uses Wilson's speech files for some reason.

Alright, after a bit of trial and error, all is well with the mod. I just have one issue now once I get to the end of the tutorial. Where it says to use "Spriter" from the Mod tools for Don't Starve thing... Yeah, I can't find the "Don't Starve Mod Tools" in steam. Does anyone mind giving a link or pointer as to where I can find it? Thanks again! :D

BqDipMU.png

Can anybody help me with that? I'm trying to make Wunk the punk mod work for DST. I moved the tex in wunk rar in anim folder. I didnt touch to the build. I only changed the names with build renamer.

edit: done. it was my fault. I haven't sleep today so my head's confused.

Edited by dogukanpirim

"Open the .scml with Spriter, which comes with Don't Starve Mod Tools"

Am I missing something? Everyone refers to these Don't Starve Mod tools... and I can not find them anywhere! I am sure I am just being silly.

Thanks for the awesome guide by the way! Hope I can make my character soon =3

Alright, after a bit of trial and error, all is well with the mod. I just have one issue now once I get to the end of the tutorial. Where it says to use "Spriter" from the Mod tools for Don't Starve thing... Yeah, I can't find the "Don't Starve Mod Tools" in steam. Does anyone mind giving a link or pointer as to where I can find it? Thanks again! :grin:

The tutorial has been updated with information on how to get the mod tools.

• Like 1

The tutorial has been updated with information on how to get the mod tools.

Brilliant! I had figured out where to get them last night, and I was going to post it on here that I had figured it out, but I am sure that adding the guidelines on how to get it on here will help others. :) This tutorial was glorious and easy to follow, and I thank you very much for the assistance!

Is there a way someone could make a video about this cause I keep getting really confused

Is there a way someone could make a video about this cause I keep getting really confused

• Like 1

I agree with the person above me. It would be useful if someone could make a video about this. I'm having all sorts of trouble.

At the part where you tell us to test the mod after renaming everything, it crashes on me.

But, I have to say, this is very useful still even if I am having trouble! Thank you very much for helping people be able to create their characters. Hopefully soon, my dream can come true of having mine in the game.

Getting insanely bummed out about this.

Not sure what's going on. I'd send a crash log but I can't recall how! And I thought it'd be simple to just port a DS mod to DST. Sheesh.

I did everything exactly as indicated, but after renaming everything, I get a crash-- and I can't quite read what it's about since there's a huge pop-up covering it every time, but here's a screenshot of it:

http://i.snag.gy/16PtS.jpg

PS: If you need a crash log, do remind me how to get it.

PPS: I DID compile this thing with normal DS, and the anim files compiled properly. So what gives? D:

----------

/!\Edit/!\

HAHAHAHA. So. Turns out trying to mod at 3:00AM is not a good idea. But yeah, I completely forgot to rename a bunch of png's and tex files. OH WELL. Just really proof-check your file names, folks!

Edited by Sannom

Sorry for another post, I have no idea how to edit my post, I'm so new here, hahah. Anyway, I noticed one thing too when testing my mod, the files in the anim folder (that was deleted like you told me too) was put back, but they wasn't renamed as my character. I deleted them and tried it again and I don't think they are adding the files back to the folders, any idea why? Thank you for your time.

Hello, I have made all textures and edited text files as you said, the capitalization is good, but i can't compile files, i used autocompiler.exe and scml.exe. autocomplier was running too fast to read anything, i just saw "up to date"

scml said there is no arguments.

The game runs and i can pick the character, but it's invisible, i can see it's shadow only.  What do I have to do to fix this? Please, help, i've been trying to fix it whole day, really. I can even send you the files if You need to. ._.

Hello, I have made all textures and edited text files as you said, the capitalization is good, but i can't compile files, i used autocompiler.exe and scml.exe. autocomplier was running too fast to read anything, i just saw "up to date"

The game runs and i can pick the character, but it's invisible, i can see it's shadow only.  What do I have to do to fix this? Please, help, i've been trying to fix it whole day, really. I can even send you the files if You need to. ._.

Ok so I have seen multiple people ask the same question and yet no one has given them an answer and I am having the same exactl problem so can someone PLEASE help?  

I did everything in the tutorial, compiled everything, and double checked for capitalization and such in the scripting files.  I can't find anything wrong and it APPARENTLY is compiling everything? Or so I think?  But every time I open the mods tab on either DS or DST it tells me that the mod crashed on last start up. The one time it let me enable it it gave me a message about the speech file being messed up or something and then it now once again just crashes before I get a chance to test or anything. What can I do to find what the problem is?