[Tutorial] Using Extended Sample Character Template

Dragon Wolf Leo

19 minutes ago, Lotushead said:

yes exactly like that!
but I dont really know how to do that

Is your mod for DS? Or DST? As far as I know there's a difference(even if only slight).

7 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

I think it'll work if you put this code in your character's prefab:

inst:RemoveTag("scarytoprey")

Tried it once before :D I think there might be something else that's required. For DST mod ofc.

• Like 1

• Developer
4 minutes ago, Isasinian said:

Tried it once before :D I think there might be something else that's required. For DST mod ofc.

Oh? I'm afraid I can't help much then...

I'm already not that experienced with DS modding, and DST just makes it extra complicated :p

3 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Oh? I'm afraid I can't help much then...

I'm already not that experienced with DS modding, and DST just makes it extra complicated :p

Well, yeah :D Because while this definitely SHOULD work, there is something that's missing and I have absolutely no idea what :D One thing for sure: @Lotushead should try adding postinit into modmain.lua at least ;)

17 minutes ago, Isasinian said:

Well, yeah :D Because while this definitely SHOULD work, there is something that's missing and I have absolutely no idea what :D One thing for sure: @Lotushead should try adding postinit into modmain.lua at least ;)

sorry for the late reply, i was busy drawing all those animation frame sheesh
anyway, its a mod for ds and rog but not for dst (ill try to make a dst mod someday in the future tho) and with the ds mod the removetag("scarytoprey") works just fine :U

• Like 1

There wouldn't happen to be some sort of tool to break down my old atlas-0.tex file into the individual pieces for the exported folders, would there?  I haven't played in a long time and I'm trying to update my character for SW, but the idea of extracting each piece in this bulk image and lining them up perfectly sounds terrible.

I traced over all the .pngs that were in the extended file and saved them and opened the spriter, and the parts are not located correctly. I tried to just move them to where they were supposed to be but the game still loaded the sprite that is messed up.
How can I fix this?

Honestly, it would have been much easier for me to edit if your sample character didn't have a tail. I've digged in the comments, and nothing seemed to clear up my confusion (or perhaps I'm just too anxious to make my research properly right now). What am I supposed to do if my character is an actual human!?

--
Well, I could use the actual Wilson from the game, but someone needs to explain how to UN-compile the files. And since I'm not as much of a genius as the one who had a similar problem earlier in this thread, I most likely won't be able to find it out by myself. Therefore, I still need help.

Edited by harpymedes
Got a bright idea, but I dunno how to realize it.

Is this outdated ? i downloaded the sample character n extracted it, however when i enable the mod in Dont starve it doesnt appear in my character selection, and no i did not mis-clicked anything i followed every instructions, please respond...

On 11.02.2016 at 7:08 PM, LorSean said:

Is this outdated ? i downloaded the sample character n extracted it, however when i enable the mod in Dont starve it doesnt appear in my character selection, and no i did not mis-clicked anything i followed every instructions, please respond...

Did you put it into the mods folder?

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:50 PM, harpymedes said:

Honestly, it would have been much easier for me to edit if your sample character didn't have a tail. I've digged in the comments, and nothing seemed to clear up my confusion (or perhaps I'm just too anxious to make my research properly right now). What am I supposed to do if my character is an actual human!?

--
Well, I could use the actual Wilson from the game, but someone needs to explain how to UN-compile the files. And since I'm not as much of a genius as the one who had a similar problem earlier in this thread, I most likely won't be able to find it out by myself. Therefore, I still need help.

I don't remember exactly how but I remember it being in the video tutorial

2 hours ago, GoldenVoltZ said:

I think I got a better image that will help fix the problem.

IMG_0710.JPG

Here you go:

On 5.02.2016 at 3:27 AM, jpsweeney94 said:

SOLVED. Look in the read me file in the file location and follow instructions! (also in big portraits)

hello, great guide. but i get this error. any help? 

IMG_0281.jpg

SOLVED. Look in the read me file in the file location and follow instructions! (also in big portraits)

12 hours ago, GoldenVoltZ said:

I just have one last question. Is there anywhere I can find the font used in the names_[character].png file?

It actually isn't a font, but a hand-drawn text(as far as I know). Anyway here is the .png with letters that you can simple cut out of it and make something out of it.

tumblr_ni5bqlZii41s8bb9go1_1280.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Isasinian said:

It actually isn't a font, but a hand-drawn text(as far as I know). Anyway here is the .png with letters that you can simple cut out of it and make something out of it.

tumblr_ni5bqlZii41s8bb9go1_1280.png

Thanks! Now all that's left is to get my friends to do the art!

Salutations.

Everything is proceeding smoothly in the creation of my character using this guide - I've run into many problems, but always managed to solve them somehow. But I've run into a problem that I can't seem to figure out a solution for - my character appears very small in-game, much like @Powtage's problem. Now, the obvious solution here is simply to make all the sprites bigger. However, this a painfully slow and tedious process, and while I've started doing it I've run into quite an issue - the space given to me to draw my torso is not large enough to expand it properly. You see, in order to make my character's head appear at a realistic height where hats appear correctly, I must move the head sprite up quite far. In order to make the torso (and all other parts as well) align with the head's new height, I must also raise it, but I run out of vertical space, and although I technically can align the two, a top section of the original torso must be chopped off - and that is not ideal for obvious reasons.

I've looked around all sorts of places, and although people have seemed to have similar problems, there is no clear solution other than to try expanding every texture to make the character a reasonable size, which I cannot seem to do.

This block of code may potentially be useful, however. I do not know how to properly use it to expand my character's size, so if someone else did, that could potentially solve my problems immediately:

inst:SetScale(width,height,length)

Feel free to ask for any additional information or clarification if you require it. Thanks in advance.

Hey, my DS character does not work on DST(like I expected) but I don't know any ways I can make it compatible. Do I need to change anything? Also, my character seems to completely work until I try to spawn and it gives me this message 

[string "../mods/Lucas/prefabs/Lucas.lua"]:47: attempt to index field 'health' (a nil value)

Hi there! This tutorial is nice and easy to follow (especially with the video), but im still having a bit of trouble...the game will load up after i activate the mod but when i get to the character selection screen, it crashes whenever i scroll over to my guy. it refers to /mods/(my character)/images/names_(character).xml and tells me its a LUA error. I dont even know if this thread is still open, but in case it is here's what the game told me and the crash log. thanks in advance because im really hoping i can add some creations for the community to enjoy :D

2016-02-24_00001.jpg

log(copy).txt

Hello, thank you so much for making this mod. I seem to be having quite a troublesome difficulty. In DST When I start the game my characters mod is blank and when I go to character select they are not an option? I have the mod activated but it's just a no show?

This thread got me up and running with no issues at all. I managed to learn a bit more through reading other files throughout the game to change some other things about my character. Thank you for the effort that went into this write up and video. 

I'm a little stuck on what to do next however. Art is going to be a challenge that will require gaining a new skill set, programming is something I'm already ok with. Not LUA, but several others so I suspect this wont be as bad as the art. I have looked into learning the language in total but I haven't found information I think matches up the way it is being used for DS. 

I promise I looked through a lot of information already on this site last night before deciding to ask for advice in this way. What I need is something that explains, or makes easier to understand, the way code is written for character customization. The simple stuff is simple, I can't grab the fun things, but what if I wanted to make a character ok with eating rot? Reading the code I can come up with clues and I am piecing things together, but not at the rate I would like. With only my pride to lose, and little attachment to it in the first place ;) , I ask: Where do I go next for more advanced LUA training as it pertains to DS?

PS: I'm freaking hooked on this game. I'm concerned about the art part of this thing, but absolutely looking forward to the coding part of this to create some interesting additions to the game.

Edit: This fix is also explained on Dleowolf's post on the first page.

Thought I'd write up a quick note on the issue of mods/character/images/names_character.xml problem some people are having.

As jpsweeney94 said, the fix to the problem is explained in the notes that should be in the images folder. While you can just read it there to try and fix the problem, the steps you should take are: 

1) Open the 'names_character'.xml file

2) In the line <Element name="names_character.tex", you need to change it so it reads <Element name="character.tex" instead. So remove the 'names_' part.

3) After this, save the file and then head over to your bigpotraits folder, as this also has the same problem.

4) Open the character_none.xml file

5) In the line <Element name="character_none.tex", you need to change it so it reads <Element name="character_none_oval.tex" instead. So add '_oval' to the end.

Start your game up again and it should hopefully have fixed the problem. I also found that if you change the png in either of these folders, you might have to delete the xml. file and go through this steps again in order for it to appear.

Edited by Adzm