[Tutorial] Using Extended Sample Character Template

Dragon Wolf Leo

can you help me :( i get error like this,

scripts/mainfunctions.lua(849,1) ...m/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua:290: Could not find an asset matching images/saveslot_portraits/hyena.tex in any of the search paths.
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
    =[C]:-1 in (global) assert © <-1--1>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua:290 in (global) resolvefilepath (Lua) <288-292>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua:53 in (global) RegisterPrefabs (Lua) <47-64>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua:321 in (method) RegisterPrefabs (Lua) <284-327>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua:139 in (upvalue) LoadAssets (Lua) <94-188>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua:1225 in (upvalue) DoResetAction (Lua) <1168-1229>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua:1240 in (local) complete_callback (Lua) <1232-1241>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/upsell.lua:27 in (global) UpdateGamePurchasedState (Lua) <11-30>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua:1245 in () ? (Lua) <1243-1246>
    =[C]:-1 in (method) SetPersistentString © <-1--1>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/saveindex.lua:104 in (method) Save (Lua) <94-106>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/saveindex.lua:177 in (local) cb (Lua) <158-180>

Im doing DST, ive done the tutorial and autocompiled and all that but when i launch my game, (make server  enable mod etc,) when it comes time to pick the character i scroll over to my own and gives my an error message

post-773944-0-68496800-1452386515_thumb.

Dear Dleowolf;

I want to be epic like you, so I have followed your tutorial very closely.

I have no silly error messages, so I think I am doing it right.... but this is keeping me from moving on.

In Untitled-1 you see the contents of my head base file. Other head base files are similar, no original files from template.

In untitled-2 you see that your cat has gotten suddenly more handsome and worried! :grin:

It seems to look good in spriter, but when I start up the game, my guy gets a lot cuter. XD

I know you are swamped with needy people needing needful things, but I guess I am joining them.

Humbly yours,

Zom

post-721861-0-28730400-1452612337_thumb.

post-721861-0-85696200-1452612402_thumb.

On 1/9/2016 at 5:16 AM, khoirulanwar said:
can you help me :( i get error like this,

scripts/mainfunctions.lua(849,1) ...m/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua:290: Could not find an asset matching images/saveslot_portraits/hyena.tex in any of the search paths.
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
    =[C]:-1 in (global) assert © <-1--1>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua:290 in (global) resolvefilepath (Lua) <288-292>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua:53 in (global) RegisterPrefabs (Lua) <47-64>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua:321 in (method) RegisterPrefabs (Lua) <284-327>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua:139 in (upvalue) LoadAssets (Lua) <94-188>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua:1225 in (upvalue) DoResetAction (Lua) <1168-1229>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua:1240 in (local) complete_callback (Lua) <1232-1241>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/upsell.lua:27 in (global) UpdateGamePurchasedState (Lua) <11-30>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua:1245 in () ? (Lua) <1243-1246>
    =[C]:-1 in (method) SetPersistentString © <-1--1>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/saveindex.lua:104 in (method) Save (Lua) <94-106>
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/saveindex.lua:177 in (local) cb (Lua) <158-180>

Go to saveslot portraits. there should be a file there with that title. If not, rename the .tex file in that folder. If there isn't any .tex file in that folder then it got deleted some how.

On 1/10/2016 at 4:42 PM, jakeI said:

Im doing DST, ive done the tutorial and autocompiled and all that but when i launch my game, (make server  enable mod etc,) when it comes time to pick the character i scroll over to my own and gives my an error message

post-773944-0-68496800-1452386515_thumb.

Did you create an image of the character's name?

Since the tutorial is mostly for single player, it doesn't include the extra steps needed to make the mod for DST. The name_"  ".xml defines the image that displays the character's name above them in the clothes-change screen. 

To Anyone who has knowledge on this sort of thing,

I am using this template to make an attempt at my first character mod for DST..however..would there be a way to make a character that has more than 2 arms? I don't mind if they don't work like the normal animations for arms do, but I was just curious as to if there was a way to do that on this template without messing up everything else in the process.

thank you,

Hopefully I won't run into too many problems! So far, everything seems to be working fine with the exception of when editing one of the lower arms, the placement somehow changed on the sprite even though I just recoloured the white part of it..

Hello! I'm having a small problem, and I'm not sure what it is.

See I have it working just fine, until I try to select the character ((I checked after renaming everything, so none of the art of anything is there yet.)) I'm not quite sure what it means, so if you could give me some pointers, that would be great!

Thank you for your time! And your tutorial is really helpful, I really can't wait to get to the art part.

Capture ERROR.PNG

On 1/12/2016 at 7:31 AM, Zombadger said:

Dear Dleowolf;

I want to be epic like you, so I have followed your tutorial very closely.

I have no silly error messages, so I think I am doing it right.... but this is keeping me from moving on.

In Untitled-1 you see the contents of my head base file. Other head base files are similar, no original files from template.

In untitled-2 you see that your cat has gotten suddenly more handsome and worried! :grin:

It seems to look good in spriter, but when I start up the game, my guy gets a lot cuter. XD

I know you are swamped with needy people needing needful things, but I guess I am joining them.

Humbly yours,

Zom

post-721861-0-28730400-1452612337_thumb.

post-721861-0-85696200-1452612402_thumb.

nm. gottit.

On 18.12.2014 at 0:31 PM, Dleowolf said:

Try not to change the dimensions of any part, unless you absolutely know what your doing. Changing the dimensions (length and width) of the images will require editing the .scml as well, which includes updating the length and width of a part, and also having to recalculate pivots using this complicated equation if resized from the center of the image:

NewPivot = (OldLength*OldPivot+((NewLength-OldLength)/2))/NewLength
Additionally, this will make updating to future versions of the template a bit more inconvenient

As I know, pivots in .scml-file have a two dimensions. How, to change a default pivots in parts as hairpigtails? Please, explain.

Mine ended up crashing, is there anyway to find out what the problem is? But is there any way where we can make them not harm certain things? Or certain things not harm them? And maybe putting certain items in their inventory when they first spawn?

Edited by Marru

On 12/23/2014 at 6:14 PM, Lolabuns said:

I can send my files. I made sure every capitalization was the same way the esctemplate was typed. Every time it was capital, I capslocked it, and every time it was lowercase, I made sure not to capitalize the first letter. I figured it would be capitalization too, and went back through and checked everything. I fixed one or two caps errors, but the same problem persists. Should I post my files?

By the way, aside from my idiocy and not-knowing-how-to-do-things-correctly-ness, Thank you very much for your walkthrough/tutorial. It might be something small to you, but it's really appreciated on my end. So thank you, again, and thank you in advance for any help you can offer me to get this all sorted out.

On 12/23/2014 at 6:38 PM, Lolabuns said:

I think I figured it out now! I got it to load up. Hopefully nothing else goes wrong. I'm pretty clumsy with coding. I suck.

Hey! I was wondering if you could share exactly how you fixed this problem you were having at the time? 

On 26.01.2016 at 1:39 AM, SpikedBandit said:

Hello! I'm having a small problem, and I'm not sure what it is.

See I have it working just fine, until I try to select the character ((I checked after renaming everything, so none of the art of anything is there yet.)) I'm not quite sure what it means, so if you could give me some pointers, that would be great!

Thank you for your time! And your tutorial is really helpful, I really can't wait to get to the art part.

Capture ERROR.PNG

Could you upload your mod in here? Would be much easier to be able to look into it directly.

19 hours ago, Isasinian said:

Could you upload your mod in here? Would be much easier to be able to look into it directly.

The error in his picture happens even if you just dump a fresh copy of the template into mods and try to run it.

edit: The solution to this error is actually in the readme file that comes with the template.

Edited by denoflions
  • Like 1

SOLVED. Look in the read me file in the file location and follow instructions! (also in big portraits)

hello, great guide. but i get this error. any help? 

IMG_0281.jpg

SOLVED. Look in the read me file in the file location and follow instructions! (also in big portraits)

Edited by jpsweeney94
solved*

I've been working on hair, but I'm having trouble in that on the side view I need to remove a piece from the defaults provided by the template.

I've tried selecting it in Spriter and setting its alpha to 0, replacing its source with a blank image, and even straight up deleting it. All of these end up looking correct in spriter but nothing changes after I compile and go in game.

Can someone please enlighten me as to the correct way to accomplish this?

howtoremove.png

good.png

no.png

• Like 1

Hi guys! Sorry if this question has already been asked, if so, I just didn't see it :T
Anyway I'm trying to mod a character which walks with very light steps, hence, animals like rabbits and birds dont flee when you get near them, does anyone know how to write the script for that? I'm completely lost

2 hours ago, Lotushead said:

Hi guys! Sorry if this question has already been asked, if so, I just didn't see it :T
Anyway I'm trying to mod a character which walks with very light steps, hence, animals like rabbits and birds dont flee when you get near them, does anyone know how to write the script for that? I'm completely lost

You mean a script, where your character is being seen as friendly/neutral to these two?