Please Help, I can't draw :(

Memmories

So as the title says, i need someone that can draw atleast a bit.

Its not really hard since its a simple character, but i just cant.. 

I tried so many times but everything just gets messed up.

I wanted to make my own character, no special traits or whatever.(atleast not for now)

Im new to the whole modding, ive checked tutorials and such, wich helped since i do have

a playable character mod file. But the drawing just doesnt work..

Naturally credits will go to the one who made it for me and everything.

I just really need someone :(

This is the character i TRIED to make..

post-481926-0-45018800-1418544455.png

when i have time, i might assist you, but ill need to finish my mod first. it currently doesnt agree with me. im an artist, but the modeling is pretty issue intensive for me. im probably trying to make something thats excessively harder to model anyways. but good luck with the mod :D ill help if i get the time.

if someone does assist you with this, it probably wont look the same, but itll look similar.

I just need someone to be able to do atleast that and give me the template..

All my efforts result into a complete mess. So "Similar" sounds fine to me.

i need to sort out my problems first. if nobody helps, then ill try for you. but i think there are some people who would gladly help you. try asking for help in the art section of the dont starve forum. they might be able to help since i usually only see people asking about scripting help.

when i have time, i might assist you, but ill need to finish my mod first. it currently doesnt agree with me. im an artist, but the modeling is pretty issue intensive for me. im probably trying to make something thats excessively harder to model anyways. but good luck with the mod :grin: ill help if i get the time.

If you could do so, that'd be great! Not to be rude but i hope it does not take too long.

I wish you luck with your own mod! I understand if you take your time in it, and cannot assist me. (:

We all want our stuff as fast as possible. 

im vigorously working on my mod. ive got most of the scripting done. i made a custom item and i need to purge the files together. im currently having a multiplayer crashing bug with it and i cant figure it out. the model is currently rough and i cant really fix it. its a crash bandicoot player model (who doesnt have a neck) so i have to merge body and head. plus the limbs are currently not working the way i want them to. i need probably more help with it than you, because yours could be simple since its two colors and has a head. lol. try to go to the art section of the forum. they might be able to help you. here is a link to that forum:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/forum/15-dont-starve-art-music-lore/

i need to sort out my problems first. if nobody helps, then ill try for you. but i think there are some people who would gladly help you. try asking for help in the art section of the dont starve forum. they might be able to help since i usually only see people asking about scripting help.

I only see people posting fanart in that section?

I think it'd be unfitting posting a request in a place where people like to just show their work?

Cheesus Jrist.... One more artist who thinks he's the worst and says that before he/she'd check my "arts". 2bad4u

I'm not an artist.. I never draw.

The one i showed is something i tried to pull off by using my profile picture.

(Wich is a Print Screen, not a drawing)

It took me lik an hour and a half just for this.

I have no talent for shapes, colouring or whatsoever.

I tried using this picture's layers, to use ingame, but as i said before its just a complete mess..

I usaually use Paint.NET if i ever use editing stuff, but that program doesnt work with DS.

I tried converting a png file from Paint.NET to a png from Gimp, wich fixed a certain problem,

but it had like some misplaced stuff or something idk. I cant work with Gimp..

I rather have an artist who's actually experianced and good to make it for me..

Not out of laziness, cause i tried, but just cause they"re better.

Who wouldnt want someone with more experiance to do it for them?

I respect giving credits and all, its only natural.

If there'd be a favor i could help with in return, i'd gladly do so.

Vivalavie is talking about folder-based template characters. If you get a template like the extended sample character, then you don't have to edit sprite sheets to make your character. Instead, each body part is in it's own image and the game automatically compiles everything when the game starts up. If it helps, here's the workflow I established to draw my own character:

post-501878-0-16262100-1418597131_thumb.

First, I used ktools to create my own template image. It's a command-line program that lets you take atlas files and convert them to .PNGs. Then, I pasted that 2048x2048 template image into Paint.NET and doubled it's resolution to 4096x4096. In my higher layers, I created layers for the lineart, coloring and shading using the methods shown in Dana's tutorial.

Once I finished drawing on the template, I flattened the image to 1 layer, lowered it's resolution to 2048x2048 and pasted each body part one-by-one into the folders. While I was doing this, I'd periodically open the the Spriter* file (the purple butterfly icon) to make sure everything is nicely aligned. After everything is done, I'd open up the game and see if all of the animations are working properly.

This process took me an entire week, but mostly because it was a learning experience for me. A week ago, I had never used Paint.net/GIMP/Photoshop before and I had no idea how to approach high-resolution art. I've never had any formal art training and everything was done with a mouse. So really, you don't need a tablet, Photoshop or even art skills to make a Don't Starve character. Just get a nice workflow, closely observe the style, and everything will fall naturally into place with enough practice. ^_^

*Note: You'll need the Don't Starve Mod Tools in order to open Spriter files. Go into your Steam Library -> Tools and it should be there.

Vivalavie is talking about folder-based template characters. If you get a template like the extended sample character, then you don't have to edit sprite sheets to make your character. Instead, each body part is in it's own image and the game automatically compiles everything when the game starts up. If it helps, here's the workflow I established to draw my own character:

attachicon.gifDon't Starve Character Workflow.png

First, I used ktools to create my own template image. It's a command-line program that lets you take atlas files and convert them to .PNGs. Then, I pasted that 2048x2048 template image into Paint.NET and doubled it's resolution to 4096x4096. In my higher layers, I created layers for the lineart, coloring and shading using the methods shown in Dana's tutorial.

Once I finished drawing on the template, I flattened the image to 1 layer, lowered it's resolution to 2048x2048 and pasted each body part one-by-one into the folders. While I was doing this, I'd periodically open the the Spriter* file (the purple butterfly icon) to make sure everything is nicely aligned. After everything is done, I'd open up the game and see if all of the animations are working properly.

This process took me an entire week, but mostly because it was a learning experience for me. A week ago, I had never used Paint.net/GIMP/Photoshop before and I had no idea how to approach high-resolution art. I've never had any formal art training and everything was done with a mouse. So really, you don't need a tablet, Photoshop or even art skills to make a Don't Starve character. Just get a nice workflow, closely observe the style, and everything will fall naturally into place with enough practice. ^_^

*Note: You'll need the Don't Starve Mod Tools in order to open Spriter files. Go into your Steam Library -> Tools and it should be there.

I see, i guess i can try something like that.. Hope it works..

Your character looks nice btw!

Is there perhaps a guide with the extended sample character on how to make it work?

I have tried renaming stuff, just like the previous sample character, but it doesn't work.

So i've actually gone a step back with the modding, since the previous one actually worked..

@Memmories when you get the folder thing to work for you, message me :-)

The extended sample character works, but when i rename the esctemplate,

in order to make it my own personal character, it doesnt work anymore.

Update; I drew new templates and they dont even show on the sample character. lol

So either theres something wrong with the sample char map (Didnt change anything)

or the sample character is from the steam workshop.. if thats the case, then that means

that the sample character mod doesnt even work well enough to show -.-

I basicly went from 80% to 50% to 0%.

Are you absolutely positive you are renaming all instances of esctemplate? Before you even begin to change anything, you need to change all of the folder names, the ones inside the script files, and you need to hex edit the name inside your build.bin. If you can get the mod to work after doing that, then it's time to start on the art itself. But if you didn't get it right, the game will overwrite your changes and when you start up the game and it will create an esctemplate.zip inside your exported folder.

Trust me, I had a lot of difficulty getting the latter to stop. Changing all of the names is one of the most agonizing parts of creating a character mod.

attachicon.gifDon't Starve Character Workflow.png

First of, another dragon! :D Working on a green dragon myself, I'll show you later how my progress is going on as regards the sprites.

Secondly, I've been having a huge trouble trying to use ktools, the applications don't do anything and perhaps it's because I have a 64 bit windows instead of a 32 bit?

Maybe it's because I suck at scripting and trying to understand computer language makes my head burn.

Anyway, I can see there that you have used a sort of grid to make sure each part of the body stays within the square in paint.net, could you please PM it to me? I'm having a hard time trying to accommodate the body parts in their respective places without messing up the positions. They are constantly being eaten by invisible blocks ingame.

Otherwise I'll just use the Spriter, it seems easier.

First of, another dragon! :grin: Working on a green dragon myself, I'll show you later how my progress is going on as regards the sprites.

Secondly, I've been having a huge trouble trying to use ktools, the applications don't do anything and perhaps it's because I have a 64 bit windows instead of a 32 bit?

Maybe it's because I suck at scripting and trying to understand computer language makes my head burn.

Anyway, I can see there that you have used a sort of grid to make sure each part of the body stays within the square in paint.net, could you please PM it to me? I'm having a hard time trying to accommodate the body parts in their respective places without messing up the positions. They are constantly being eaten by invisible blocks ingame.

Otherwise I'll just use the Spriter, it seems easier.

Yup, indeed it's a dragon character...I wanted to create a character with temperature-based powers and I thought a cold-blooded creature would be the best fit.

Using ktools isn't really necessary because the game automatically compresses everything for you, but Don't Starve Mod Tools does a terrible job of that so I found myself manually compressing everything to reduce the image artifacts. Here's how you use ktech...

• Drag the image you want to compress into your Ktools folder. It's dimensions should be a power of two (i.e. 32x32, 64x64, 128x128, etc)
  • Go to your start menu and run "cmd.exe", which will open up your command prompt.
  • In your command prompt, go into the Ktools folder by typing cd C:\Users\Platino\Desktop\Programs\Programs\KTools, or wherever the folder is.
  • Once inside the folder, type ktech imagename.png -c rgba --width 64 --height 64 which will compress your image into a .tex file with alpha and quality intact. Change the numbers of width or height if your image is larger or smaller.
  • Use the command ktech imagename.tex to convert your .tex file back to a .png, so you can check the quality. If you want to look at other compression methods and commands, you can type ktech --help to see all of the parameters you can enter.
Oh yeah, and be careful about using Spriter. It makes things easier, but it isn't aligned like the in-game model and the tail will look completely different when you view it in-game. Not to mention, when you view the model in-game it will have a bunch of lightning effects applied to it which will severely alter your colors. Keep that in mind.

Sure, I'll PM you my template.

Archived