Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together

• Developer
Hey everyone!

Okay, we’re now into the next phase of our Beta! I just wanted to keep you abreast of how things are going, and what is going to happen in the next phase.

A long time ago, we discussed making Don’t Starve Together an update to Don’t Starve, and then raising the price of Don’t Starve to compensate. As we continued with building Don't Starve Together, the code diverged significantly, and it became clear that Don’t Starve Together would be a standalone expansion.

Thus, it didn’t make sense to force a price increase on our players, so in order to give players more choice, we’ve done the following:

1. All owners of Don’t Starve on Steam will get Don’t Starve Together on June 3rd 2015!

2. If you would like to buy both Don’t Starve and Don’t Starve Together as a bundle post-launch, it is $19.99 -- the same price as if we increased the price of Don’t Starve.

3. If you would only like to buy one or the other, it is $14.99.

This way, people who currently own Don’t Starve on Steam still get multiplayer for free, and all new players get more choice. From a pricing perspective, it’s either the same price (the bundle) or cheaper (if you just want one of the other). 

To wrap up, instead of simply updating Don't Starve, we have made it a stand-alone expansion, and we are gifting the game to all Don't Starve players on June 3rd, 2015.

If you haven't already, see our Roadmap for info about what things are coming for DST.

I hope that clears things up for everyone! Once again, let me know your comments / questions and we’ll be happy to discuss. Now, on to making Wilderness Mode. 

So i have a question, if someone would buy the frontier pack and give the second key to someone else who does not own Don't Starve, would this person still posess don't starve together after the beta ends or will the game be deleted from his steam library since it is a standalone game?

Edit: Also, do people who already got a key but don't own Don't Starve still have the game after the Beta ends?

So i have a question, if someone would buy the frontier pack and give the second key to someone else who does not own Don't Starve, would this person still posess don't starve together after the beta ends or will the game be deleted from his steam library since it is a standalone game?

DST will reamin on their stem even after beta ends.

I think you fought the multiplayer idea so much you cant bare to see the word hahahaha jk.

Im not sure I like or dislike the idea of it being a ...a different game, like I have dont starve AND dont starve together , but I guess this just makes it more special and unique , as dont starve always been.

What I REALLY want to see now is the story of Maxwell and Charlie, I mean ...I want to SEE Charlie

Was the Steam exclusivity of this sentence intentional, or you simply forgot about DRM-Free versions? Or is DST never supposed to happen as DRM-Free?

It was mentioned in another Thread that Don't Starve Together uses many features of the Steam-Api. So it will only be on Steam in the near future.

It was mentioned in another Thread that Don't Starve Together uses many features of the Steam-Api. So it will only be on Steam in the near future.

Near future and launch are two different things. I am aware that beta will be steam exclusive. I'm asking about launch plans, I don't expect DST to be final in the near future either. No offense, but I'd prefer an official answer, so I can plan my activities accordingly.

Near future and launch are two different things. I am aware that beta will be steam exclusive. I'm asking about launch plans, I don't expect DST to be final in the near future either. No offense, but I'd prefer an official answer, so I can plan my activities accordingly.

Lol whatever dude...search the forums if you want an official answer cause it has already been given

Right now, DST is entirely dependent on Steam. It's not outside of the realm of possibility of course, but it's really going to depend on too many factors for us to say anything outside of what we have said in the roadmap

We totally understand the interest, so it will always be on our radar until we can have a more definitive answer one way or the other.  

If you already have DS you'll get it for free... 

For free now on Monday, or later when it's finished, it's confusing.

and, my friend doesnt need to buy Don't Starve since i am about do give him 1 beta key from frontier pack which means full copy od DST in future?

@AveWarren, A beta key from the frontier pack does mean full DST in the future, yes. If they don't have DS (single-player), though, they won't get it automatically in the future.

Monday isn't release, it's early access launch. Release will probably be early-ish next Spring, but no dates have been set.

Archived