[REQUEST] Locked zoomed camera

So if anyone has seen my name before they probably already know that I like to attempt to create more challenging and immersive experiences in the servers I host.  One such fruition of that is the kind donation of Peter's Whisper Only mod.  Thank you again. :loyal:

In continuation of my immersion theme, I have discovered that playing the game with the camera zoomed all the way in creates its own set of challenges and interesting dynamics.  For starters, it's a bit like playing The Screecher DS mod; you can't actually really see what's behind you, so you have to rotate the camera to "look" around or over your shoulder (imagine running away from something towards the screen, only to bump into something else because you weren't looking properly).  This is particularly enjoyable at night when your field of view is reduced to the light radius of a torch or campfire, and creepy things stand just on the edge of that radius. :cower:

The other challenge this presents is that because playing with the camera zoomed in strongly encourages you to rotate the camera a lot, disorientation happens rather quickly.  "North" to one person can quickly and easily become South-West to another, and so on, so being more intelligent/descriptive with directions is made more important: sticking to paths, "left" and "right" tend to be used more. :ugeek:

I find all this very interesting and I think makes for a somewhat different experience for DST, so I would like to ask if anyone would be willing to write a simple mod for me that forces all clients to have their camera locked to the furthest zoomed-in level (obviously not going past default restrictions).

It would also be a nicety if rotating the camera didn't have so much of a forced delay / cooldown on it as well -- it feels a bit clunky and slow for this view by default.  Lastly, if there was a quick fix for the compass that'd be great for this too, but I'm guessing it's a known issue that would've been rectified long ago if it were that simple. :(

If anyone is feeling particularly helpful then I'm also looking for some way to disable the usage of certain client-side only mods on my servers, too.  For example I find that the extremely popular "Minimap Hud" mod tends to give a massive advantage over anyone else who doesn't have it, and it also breaks immersion, as you can literally run around at night with the faintest bit of light from a thermal stone and still know exactly where everything is because of the minimap HUD element.  It also makes orientation that much easier.  I would prefer it if people didn't use it, but I don't know if it's possible to detect or prevent individual client-side mods.  This is only one example of what I'm sure will eventually turn into many, so perhaps a more generic / all-encompassing approach would be better for something like this.  I actually suspect that there's already a way to do something like this and I just don't know it yet. :???:

Anyway all feedback, suggestion, advice, and assistance appreciated.  Thanks for reading.  :-)

• Developer
I would prefer it if people didn't use it, but I don't know if it's possible to detect or prevent individual client-side mods.

There isn't support for this currently, but it would be possible for someone to write a mod that would query the mod system to see what mods are enabled locally and send that info to the server. I'm not sure if there's much point in doing this though, as someone could circumvent the mod system and just modify the game's lua code directly. We don't support verification that the game's files have been modified or not.

• Developer
One such fruition of that is the kind donation of Peter's Whisper Only mod.  Thank you again.

You're welcome. :) I'm planning to add a configuration option to disable the broadcast notifications too. I believe you, as well as some others were hoping to see that added too.

some way to disable the usage of certain client-side only mods on my servers, too.  For example I find that the extremely popular "Minimap Hud"

As Peter said, I don't think there's an elegant way to do this, but I do believe you could interfere with specific mods based on assumptions that their code won't change significantly.

This would probably involve setting the priority of your mod lower than all the other mods you want to interfere with (this is a value you can set in the modinfo) so it runs after them, then disrupting their activities. For example:

local function ControlsPostConstruct(controls)	if controls.minimap_small then		controls.minimap_small.Show = controls.minimap_small.Hide		controls.minimap_small:Hide()	endendAddClassPostConstruct("widgets/controls", ControlsPostConstruct)

Obviously this would need to have either of these this toggles:

all_clients_require_mod = trueclients_only_mod = true
Edited by rezecib

• Developer
Obviously this would need to have either of these toggles: ? 1 2 all_clients_require_mod = true clients_only_mod = true

I believe you'd only want  "all_clients_require_mod = true" set in the modinfo.lua so that you enforce all the clients to have the code executed, but as stated before, someone could easily modify their mod to still have the minimap visible.