New Tool Suggestion: The Chef Knife

A tool that allows you to split crock pot recipies in half, either to stretch them out over a longer period of time, or to share them with other players; most likely made of twigs, flint, and rope, only works on crock pot foods, and needs to be prototyped through one of the science engines, not sure which would be good. It seems like a good idea for making crock pot foods good for multiple players without building two crockpots so you don't have to make two meals at a time, and so you can actually leave cooked foods in the crock pot like is a viable option in single player.

I think the main problem with these portioning suggestions is that large/small portions are actually a part of the balancing of certain food items, most notably the meaty stew.

... but maybe an exception could be made for meaty stews to solve that.

But really you should be making multiple crockpots. In single-player I usually make two, and most players I know who do very well in the game actually make 6-8.

You can leave cooked food in the crockpots in DST... you can also leave jerky on drying racks. This hasn't not changed (yet?) in DST as far as I know (although I have not played since the latest hotfix today).

I do agree it would be nice to have the ability to split cooked foods in half though.

You can leave cooked food in the crockpots in DST... you can also leave jerky on drying racks. This hasn't not changed (yet?) in DST as far as I know (although I have not played since the latest hotfix today).

I do agree it would be nice to have the ability to split cooked foods in half though.

I more meant that when you leave a food in a crockpot, you can't cook something else until you remove it.

Also, on the meaty stew... IMO, it's actually a pretty useless item right now; portioning would actually make meaty stews have a use. Right now, making 3 meatballs is almost always a superior use of meat.

I more meant that when you leave a food in a crockpot, you can't cook something else until you remove it.

Also, on the meaty stew... IMO, it's actually a pretty useless item right now; portioning would actually make meaty stews have a use. Right now, making 3 meatballs is almost always a superior use of meat.

I'm not sure what you're considering with point #1... why would you be able to cook new food in a pot that is already full? How can 2 different meals be available simultaneously? How would you know which recipe to grab from a crockpot if you had 2 of them cooked within it? You need to empty your pot so you can fill it with new ingredients and make a new recipe. You can't cook over already-cooked food - this is constant in all versions of the game, MP or SP.

Meaty Stews vs. other recipes are up to debate for everyone, it all depends on playstyle whether in SP or MP. They can be argued for-or-against, depending on which character you are and what your goal is over the next day or two. 150 hunger-regen can be very useful with the right character, or a waste of resources with the wrong character. Meatballs are a simple and solid way to go though, if bases aren't built up or mobs aren't readily available for other recipes.

Also, as @rezecib, said, multiple crockpots are how players tend to survive even in SP. In MP, it's crucial to have more than one. I would recommend at least 2 crockpots per potential player in the world. Otherwise the pots will be constantly empty as player "don't starve", and one or more people will have to dedicate themselves to cooking all-day-every-day, nothing else.

Archived