This has probably been suggested multiple times and it's probably something more for the modding community, but I've just been rolling this idea around in my head for a while.

Certain events can trigger different "diseases."

Here's a few examples I came up with:

Common Cold - After heavy rainfall, the character can catch a cold. Sanity giving items raise sanity more slowly and the player might have a bout of sneezing that interrupts what they're doing. It can be cured by putting on warm clothes or eating warm food. (I think this would mostly be hilarious to hear Wilson's trumpet sneezing.)

Scurvy - This can happen if the player doesn't eat fruit for too long. (Wigfrid is somehow immune to this.) The player takes more damage and healing items heal for less. It can be cured by eating fruit.

Food Poisoning - Has a chance to happen when eating spoiled food. (WX-78 is immune to this and Wickerbottom is more susceptible). The player gains fewer hunger points from food and sanity slowly drains. Can't be cured immediately, but will pass eventually.

Rabies - Has a small chance to happen whenever the player is attacked by a hound. Causes sanity to drain at a very fast rate and makes the player unable to sleep. It can only be cured by a (crafted) vaccine.

The Phantom Virus - This disease is fatal, but luckily extremely rare.

I don't think these should be added, mostly because they don't really serve any purpose outside of making the game more difficult and forcing the player into certain avenues of play stlye, something Klei has made many attempts to avoid

I don't think these should be added, mostly because they don't really serve any purpose outside of making the game more difficult and forcing the player into certain avenues of play stlye, something Klei has made many attempts to avoid

This.

OH COME ON

THIS STUFF AGAIN?

Common Cold-Sounds funny as a mod idea, but no.

Scurvy-No. What if there's a lack of fruit or veggies around?

Food Poisoning: Yes, because I apparently need to lose sanity FASTER/sarc

Rabies-UH NO? Hounds are already deadly enough without this!

Phantom Virus-Wut-babka.jpg

No....why........I don't...........I can't.........on a scale of srsly to wat, it gets a I CAN'T EVEN

Random death. Good idea. NOT. This is awful.

I think for food poisoning, it would be better to go for short but sour. Like, at most three game hours after consumption, the character would have to throw up (this does not have to be animated grossly), with some sanity and a lot of hunger loss. The only thing I :\ about this prospect though is how often I accidentally eat rot while trying to fuel the fire. 

Personally, I quite like the idea of diseases and infections and whatnot (not as huge a fan of the Phantom Virus because pointless deaths like that would be pretty rage-inducing, but still). However, I can definitely see where everyone else is coming from. I agree with LiptonPee, I'd like to see this as an option or mod.

Diseases as a punishment for too much wetness in RoG.

The higher the wetness is, the higher the odds to catch illness should be.

BUT, I would only like one illness, as of common cold. And that could even not be that much of a terrible thing.

Here is what could happen if you catch Common Cold.

-Damage slightly reduced (not sure about this one)

-Hunger drains slightly faster

-Sanity drains slighly, like -0.50 x minute

And then, sneezes.

You have a random chance of sneezing whenever you do an action (attack, mine, pick up stuff).

Sneezing can have two effects, one good and one bad (bad one has lower chanche of happening).

1- The sneeze would act as a AoE attack with medium range (a bit more than melee range) with 20 damage and knockback. It would also do a tree chop, damage a rock, smash a hammered structure and scare butterflies out from flowers and Gobblers out of berry bushes.

2- The sneeze makes the tool hold fly away in the Goose attack fashon.

The bad thing about this idea of mine, though, is that this mechanic isn't either that halpful or harmful.

Rather not. DS+RoG has many challenging elements and players already have many things to do to survive. Adding more may probably kill us with jobs.

As a mod it would be okay, but there must be something else that the player can benefit from the mod.

Infection from crap, monster meat, food poisoning.etc?

So, to avoid infection, hygiene is number one priority. Use gloves made from pig skin when cooking food.

Don't mix raw meat with cooked food.

Make sure to cook pork properly otherwise parasites will infect you.

Some Beefalos might have MCD. So, if you eat meat from one of them even when cooked, you're **** with your sanity.

To make it cleaner, you have to wash the gloves with soap. Soap can be made using pig oil and ash (water is required but lets just heck care about that)

Alternatively, you can change gloves everyday! 

Regarding scurvy or tooth decay (idk), lets add in obesity factor. Don't forget to eat all your veggies! Imagine Wilson becoming a fatso. 
Eww.
Getting stung by mosquito can kill you with Dengue Fever.  Putting crap near food may  infect you with chlorea.

Heheh this is not cooking mama. Or game purely for doctorates. 

Let's add microbe culturing while we're at it. Just to name a few. We can gather some Escherichia coli from manure. We can gather some Staphylococcus aureus from manure or pig skin. You can culture them by crafting an agar plate which can be made by reeds and stone. Then maybe add in some gloves to prevent you from getting your suggested infections.

What benefits do they have? Well... None. Well, actually... You get to learn about some bacteria and microbe culturing! Learning stuff from a video game! Dang!

P.S. You need vitamin C to treat scurvy. Not a lot of the fruits and veggies in the game has vitamin C. :(

Let's add microbe culturing while we're at it. Just to name a few. We can gather some Escherichia coli from manure. We can gather some Staphylococcus aureus from manure or pig skin. You can culture them by crafting an agar plate which can be made by reeds and stone. Then maybe add in some gloves to prevent you from getting your suggested infections.

What benefits do they have? Well... None. Well, actually... You get to learn about some bacteria and microbe culturing! Learning stuff from a video game! Dang!

P.S. You need vitamin C to treat scurvy. Not a lot of the fruits and veggies in the game has vitamin C. :(

This has probably been suggested multiple times and it's probably something more for the modding community, but I've just been rolling this idea around in my head for a while.

Certain events can trigger different "diseases."

Here's a few examples I came up with:

Common Cold - After heavy rainfall, the character can catch a cold. Sanity giving items raise sanity more slowly and the player might have a bout of sneezing that interrupts what they're doing. It can be cured by putting on warm clothes or eating warm food. (I think this would mostly be hilarious to hear Wilson's trumpet sneezing.)

Scurvy - This can happen if the player doesn't eat fruit for too long. (Wigfrid is somehow immune to this.) The player takes more damage and healing items heal for less. It can be cured by eating fruit.

Food Poisoning - Has a chance to happen when eating spoiled food. (WX-78 is immune to this and Wickerbottom is more susceptible). The player gains fewer hunger points from food and sanity slowly drains. Can't be cured immediately, but will pass eventually.

Rabies - Has a small chance to happen whenever the player is attacked by a hound. Causes sanity to drain at a very fast rate and makes the player unable to sleep. It can only be cured by a (crafted) vaccine.

The Phantom Virus - This disease is fatal, but luckily extremely rare.

I love these ideas!

Definitely some fun ideas.

Yes, they would make the game more challenging. However, the game is too easy.

This would be a great addition to an expansion pack like RoG#2, but the premise/design of the expansion pack is to make the game harder. After all, the more experienced players will be the ones purchasing the expansion pack, so it only makes sense to increase the difficulty or add new things to juggle.

It would be a great mod, and an even greater expansion pack.

Especially the Common Cold & Food Poisoning. Although DS is so easy, and even when it was hard, I have NEVER eaten spoiled food (except by accident).

Spoiled food is literally worthless once it is on its last and final stage (canot be cooked or combined anymore, cannot be fed to bird, etc.)

So really, the balance would need to change (make food harder to get, but last longer in its spoiled state- so food spoils but is still valuable- and because of it, players have a need to eat it and thus get food poisoning.

IMO, food poisoning is a better mechanic for a different system entirely. Maybe Don't Starve 2.

The illnesses though? Like the cold/flu? Great ideas.

You can cure it via Broth (single item) or the superior recipe Chicken Noodle Soul (Broth x2 + Meat + Veggie) or a booster shot.

You know how the raccoons puke? Would love for the player to randomly puke when sick. It results in minus hunger, and is an item that can be fed to pigs.

I personally like the idea of illnesses. Only that they should play a very little role throughout the game. A small negative modifier for a couple of days and an animation to it. Like sneezing or being a little yellowish.

Phantom virus? How about never.

Archived