Starter Pack(Think Default+, only more mellow)

No, cranking up the flint to lots does not settle the problem. Matter of fact, setting anything to lots tends to have an......unhelpful....effect on the worldgen, crowding out other resources to make room. This only delays the inevitability of flint running out.around the spawn area on top of it. Why would I, as a server host, decide to start choking all other resources for map spots to spawn in, expressly for the sake of flint?

And to answer your question? No. I wouldn't. Because i'm not a fool. But then again, i'm not representative of the DST fanbase. (I did not mean to insult good people, i'm sure there's A LOT of nice people playing DST ) You may not be having problems like this atm, but that's because Klei has been hand-picking the beta participating up until now. Let's see what happens when it hits Early Access.

Also, yes. Yes, you are lucky. Again, banning people who do it constantly is nice, but why enable this in the first place? Also, it's very very hard to kill people in non-PVP servers, short of boobytrapping things with fire. Which you really only get away with if AFK happens.

Bottom line is, all the alternate ideas i've heard here so far feel shallow and prone to failure...

So how would you approach this situation?

I'm not sure about flint, but perhaps the Portal could have the more or less same effect of Applied Horiculture (or whatever that damn book is called!) except it only affects the area around the Portal. In the very least, this should give you enough to make a torch or two.

The only issue is when people build their bases on the Portal, and this would cause every farm to grow on player entry, ah ha.

I can't say I'd be against the player getting 2-3 pieces of Flint to start if the Server day is past say, 50.

I don't understand why anyone can't find any flint?  Does no one explore beyond the spawn or something.  I've entered worlds on day 1 and day 300 and find flint easily all the time.  If you want a hint on how to find flint easily here it is, EXPLORE THE MAP.

Setting flint to 'More' strikes a good balance.  I've been using that setting on my personal servers and there's still flint lying around by day 150, but there's not so much that it feels excessive.

The default setting is definitely too stingy though for long-term multi-player. Do Not Recommend.  

On a good server with 5 players, all of whom were decent, we got to day 50, and already began encounter flint shortages.  Sure, once you have a pick and a rocky biome, flint costs only time (and therefore food), but what if you enter the game with no pick, and no flint in the inventory? The rock biome would be like a man dying of thirst in the ocean - you can't get more flint until you already have flint.

@SilentDarkness1 A good player would find a patchwork biome far from spawn to grab flint off the ground from, but that's beside the point. It would vastly speed up the start of the game if players joining started with a 25% durability pick and axe, plus two 66% torches. The idea is that the starter gear would be nearly worthless and replaced as soon as possible.

@The Letter W: Excellent idea! Starter bonuses should be scaled to the age of a world. Flint is easy to find Day 1-10, but by Day 50 players should get a better start and by day 200 a logsuit and spear could help with hound attacks.

@DaMich: Sstarter packs would be easier for a host to configure and opens more gameplay styles (ie boomerang starting weapon, 10 torches, etc). Throwing resources at a spawn portal would discourage venturing far from spawn - which would reduce the most important aspect of Don't Starve: Exploring far from spawn. 

@DaMich That said, in Wilderness Mode dropping some flint next to newly spawned players would make sense, since the spawn point is random and therefore not exploitable by looters.

Archived