Survival need vote kick/ban asap

Survival looks like its going to be a fun mode BUT it needs a vote kick/ban immediately.  This is a griefer's playground because all they have to do is die and there is literally nothing you can do to stop it.  I was having fun on the dedicated despite a certain griefer until they realized all they had to do was die.  Downward spiral after that.

Otherwise Survival looks to be REALLY fun.  It forces you to work together a little bit but it places severe urgency on reviving fallen comrades.  Unfortunately there wont be too many of these servers to play because this mode screams password protect.  I like playing on open servers with the community and its a shame that the losers out there who only have fun by ruining the game for others dominate in this mode and utterly ruin this mode until some sort of ban/kick on the dedicateds come out.

My paranoia suggests server-moderator(s) or some sort of review system for the bans. Several scenarios could also abuse the bans themselves. Examples: 1) A bunch of trolls join a server and ban random players. 2) Teams form within the server, but Team A is the biggest and gets mad at team B. They ban team B.

With a single host, it's clear the host makes the rules. But if it's fine that the majority rules the server (even if the majority is only trolls that come on only to ban people), then no moderators needed.

Consider adding a vote system to un-ban too.

@Mysanthil, While these would be nice, without a votekick/voteban system, Survival just does not work at all on public dedicated servers. So adding one, while it would introduce the potential misuse that you point out, would at least make it enjoyable to some people who aren't griefing.

It's pretty rare for there to be a whole group of griefers. In my experience you either get a Willow that comes and burns stuff down, or you get a Willow that pretends that they're helping you and just does incredibly dumb stuff on purpose ("Oh... the fire doesn't need 40 wool as fuel?"). Only once did I have a pair of people come in and try to start burning all the buildings down (fortunately most aren't flammable in vanilla...).

Implementing a review system would require a lot of other stuff, such as evidence that can be reviewed. And who's going to review it? The server's admin, I guess, but that could end up being a lot of work.

I think the easiest solution would to make the voteban by default a timed thing. So maybe a voteban would knock them out for 15 minutes by default, which is probably enough time for a griefer to get bored and move on. If not, subsequent votebans could scale up in time. The server admin could get a log of the votebans and make some of them permanent or revert them, if they're on at the time.

Yeah, I understand a review system might be an impractical and difficult to implement idea. Your simple solution sounds good.

I just want to try to prevent "unfair" bans. If the server has PvP turned on, but everyone kicks a PvP'er (such as Clown was treated in one of his previous posts)... Again, if it's ok that the majority rules, then no problem. Generally, it is ok, but people get mad when you kill them.

I just want to try to prevent "unfair" bans. If the server has PvP turned on, but everyone kicks a PvP'er (such as Clown was treated in one of his previous posts)... Again, if it's ok that the majority rules, then no problem. Generally, it is ok, but people get mad when you kill them.

Well, Survival mode is really not designed to make sense with PvP. The sanity mechanic forces you to cooperate, which is why it's so vulnerable to griefing. So most things that would piss people off in Survival mode would actually be griefing.

@SethR

From my experience, mostly dead people are not afk but at the same time it is hard to revive themselves in a survival server. Reason is:

1) Only way to revive themselves is to find a touch stone or life giving amulet. Touch stones are only 2 in whole map and they can exhaust quickly also harder to find them (there is also cave touch stones too but most of the people does not have any idea if it exists).

2) To make life giving amulet, player should have some game experience to keep up for some certain time without dieing and should know what he/she is doing to craft that item (or if he is lucky he can find it in early exploration).

3) He should find camps in which people are willing to help ghosts or should have another buddy to help him.

New players are mostly avoid reviving someone because they do not have material to revive or even they have they do not wanna spend their hp to revive someone...

Last time I had 10 dead people in summer in my server and only 2 people were alive. This was happening because most of the people were playing under 10 hours of game xp.

As long as the person is not afk kicking someone does not make any sense because you are expected to revive the person.. With 12 hours, 3 hours, 1 hour game experience, I dont want anyone to vote for someone to be kicked from my server with 300+ hours of game experience. This will be misused alot because as I said it is hard to be revived once you are dead. It may take several days to find a touch stone or someone who can revive you. So in the end some impatient newbies will start vote kick and kick a person with 800+ hours game experience? I am sorry but this system will simply not work due to the nature of DST and will be misused for any newbie.

I accept that game is too hard for a newbie. And they will vote for someone without knowing the game mechanics, they will simply up vote for anyone who dies in the server because they do not know how to help someone and also they do not want their sanity to go down (Because once their sanity is down they have no idea how to replenish that sanity...) So even if this is implemented, I will disable the system for my server and not gonna use it.

Aside from this system, especially for survival server you guys should work on a system such as xp filtering (based on their game hours on steam in DST). because whatever you do, even if you make a reliable base, newbies will saturate the area, leech the food and eventually go out to die to a flint. And again my experience, new players are more likely to grief... They aer just new players, most of them will not even visit the game and server again, so they simply put your base on fire and leave the server with a great joy!?!?!

Currently it is impossible to go beyond 1 year for my server as I remember in caves beta my server stayed for 500+ days and I reset in the end and this is not done with couple of people it was like in different times different players were joining and none of them were dieing because they were all experienced people...

Please implement some sort of xp filtering as I currently do not enjoy to play in my server because of 10+ dead people in winter or summer.

Currently playing in vanilla survival public servers is not fun (griefers are another concept but also due to always dead newbies.). Due to the problem, I decided to make a private dedicated server to play with experienced people in the community.. If I was not a public server owner, I would never play in vanilla survival public server at this point. Because even you revive a newbie, he will die in 2 minutes once again... And not only that guy but also 5-6 more newbies will die along with him... So should we vote kick all of them in the end if this system is implemented? :-)

@SethR

From my experience, mostly dead people are not afk but at the same time it is hard to revive themselves in a survival server. Reason is:

1) Only way to revive themselves is to find a touch stone or life giving amulet. Touch stones are only 2 in whole map and they can exhaust quickly also harder to find them (there is also cave touch stones too but most of the people does not have any idea if it exists).

2) To make life giving amulet, player should have some game experience to keep up for some certain time without dieing and should know what he/she is doing to craft that item (or if he is lucky he can find it in early exploration).

3) He should find camps in which people are willing to help ghosts or should have another buddy to help him.

New players are mostly avoid reviving someone because they do not have material to revive or even they have they do not wanna spend their hp to revive someone...

Last time I had 10 dead people in summer in my server and only 2 people were alive. This was happening because most of the people were playing under 10 hours of game xp.

As long as the person is not afk kicking someone does not make any sense because you are expected to revive the person.. With 12 hours, 3 hours, 1 hour game experience, I dont want anyone to vote for someone to be kicked from my server with 300+ hours of game experience. This will be misused alot because as I said it is hard to be revived once you are dead. It may take several days to find a touch stone or someone who can revive you. So in the end some impatient newbies will start vote kick and kick a person with 800+ hours game experience? I am sorry but this system will simply not work due to the nature of DST and will be misused for any newbie.

I accept that game is too hard for a newbie. And they will vote for someone without knowing the game mechanics, they will simply up vote for anyone who dies in the server because they do not know how to help someone and also they do not want their sanity to go down (Because once their sanity is down they have no idea how to replenish that sanity...) So even if this is implemented, I will disable the system for my server and not gonna use it.

Aside from this system, especially for survival server you guys should work on a system such as xp filtering (based on their game hours on steam in DST). because whatever you do, even if you make a reliable base, newbies will saturate the area, leech the food and eventually go out to die to a flint. And again my experience, new players are more likely to grief... They aer just new players, most of them will not even visit the game and server again, so they simply put your base on fire and leave the server with a great joy!?!?!

Currently it is impossible to go beyond 1 year for my server as I remember in caves beta my server stayed for 500+ days and I reset in the end and this is not done with couple of people it was like in different times different players were joining and none of them were dieing because they were all experienced people...

Please implement some sort of xp filtering as I currently do not enjoy to play in my server because of 10+ dead people in winter or summer.

Currently playing in vanilla survival public servers is not fun (griefers are another concept but also due to always dead newbies.). Due to the problem, I decided to make a private dedicated server to play with experienced people in the community.. If I was not a public server owner, I would never play in vanilla survival public server at this point. Because even you revive a newbie, he will die in 2 minutes once again... And not only that guy but also 5-6 more newbies will die along with him... So should we vote kick all of them in the end if this system is implemented? :-)

Basically, I am with you. And what you described is exactly what I have been experiencing in countless games.

1. Newbies join and ask for location of camp. 

2. Newbies consume or waste the resource you've been collecting. I mean, as an experienced player, when I join a camp during the middle of game, I also take some resources such as logs, sticks, grass and flint or gold to start with, but in a few days, I will begin to pay off and start to contribute. But newbies just keep consuming. It simply put a heavy burden on experienced players or if other players are not so experienced, everyone dies.

3. Newbies tend to die again even if you revive him. They simply do not have what it needs to survive. They don't know the recipe and eat food raw. As an experienced player, I am not that petty to lose a few hp to revive someone. For example, I will be more than happy to revive another experienced player because I know he is much better alive than dead. But reviving a newbie? He is probably going to continue consuming your resources before die again. So, why bother reviving him? To me, losing sanity is just a better option.

4. Newbies/griefers destroy your camp either intentionally or not. Which leads me to think about the question, are other players obliged to tell those who join during the middle of the game the location of the camp? I mean, are those already in the game responsible if the new joiners die because they can't have a camp? Some new joiners, and I am talking about newbies, complain when I choose not to tell the location of the camp because all the flints have been picked up. I used to send them basic survival kit, i.e. gold, grass, sticks, logs. I told them to either start surviving on their own until he finds our camp or he can start his own camp. This worked a few times when I was in the server. But other times, some newbies that are already at the camp 'like' to expose the location of the camp.  I also tried several times to build a temp camp at the portal with basic science machine, pots, fire pit, fridge, etc. But after a while, everything was originally there got taken by a few newbie that joined first and they never managed to stock the resources back.

--------------------------------------------------------

BTW, if you want an xp filtering to stop newbies from joining your server, have you considered the following options?

1. If a newbie joins and it is discovered that he does not have enough xp, he will be kicked or temporarily banned on sight, isn't it similar to the function of xp filtering, although less automatic. You can also write the message in your server description or show in your server once in a while so that when they get banned or kicked, they cant complain because they have been informed ahead. If it's too much work to check the xp of everyone, it's also possible to check once you find someone behave like a newbie, i.e. die a lot, eat a lot of food...

2. I would also want a tracking mechanism to track everyone's contribution, i.e. if he contributes more than he takes, so that the admin can determine which to kick or ban not just based on his xp but what he does.

well or this vote kick system would be misused by experienced players as well... Since they know more people in the server they are playing in, they can simply up vote for any newbie to be kicked immediately... Xp filtering is necessary but devs seem silent about it for months...

well or this vote kick system would be misused by experienced players as well... Since they know more people in the server they are playing in, they can simply up vote for any newbie to be kicked immediately... Xp filtering is necessary but devs seem silent about it for months...

It would be nice to have an exp. filter in the settings.ini for dedicated servers.

Still, this is rather cruel to noobs; most servers will have them up, giving new players nowhere to play, so they'll leave, and that's no good for the community.  I can understand why the devs don't wanna make them.  Also, coding such a thing might be difficult.

I would like a few untradable achievement clothing items to mark experienced players.

Perhaps craft a giant drop into a clothing scrap, and it takes 100 to make a hat.., but c_give("deerclops_eyeball"), 100 breaks this horribly.  

Making it time-based would only encourage idlers to idle to get the hat of awesomeness.  

Perhaps making the game track how many times you land the killing blow on a giant, and once you kill 100 of a particular giant, you get a clothing item based on it?  For example, a military suit with large feathers coming off the shoulders for the G/Goose, or a hat with antlers for the Deerclops?  This is more skill-based, although godmode could be used to cheat your way out.  Hmmmmm......

maan idlers. This game became an idling and loitering simulator 2016. Klei should find a solution to that thing.20 people seesm they play the game in my friend list yet only 10 of them actually playin the game. Maybe skins should be dropped when you change certain amount of position so game can understand that player actually playing the game and not idling. Klei should find a solution.

No reason to lie i am idling at times too :grin:.... But it is weird to see lotta people seems like they are playing the game on thursday and friday (more than half is idler thatswhy lotta them seems playin)...

exp filtering is a must. I would not want anyone who buys the game come into my server to burn everything. I keep sayin same things over and over but, dst caves beta branch had more experienced people and there was less griefing compared to what we have today. 10 people gets banned in a week. 9 of them are under 10 hours and most of these under 10 hours never ever touch to the game. I don't want regular players to get griefed in my server by some douchebag with money, buys the game and burns the community base in front of everyone.

Add mods, mods are out there mods mods... Mods completely change the game experience. When you cannot burn something for some certain day it is more like a punishment to the players who are decent and joins in winter to survive.

Other mod, makes bases cannot be hammered down and burned (fire and wall protection) this totally disables all of the materials to get burned which means that u dont need ice flingomatic (if i am not mistaken. correct me if i am). Completely different game. I just do not want to add mods to ruin real dst experience for couple of douchebags.

exp filtering is a must. I would not want anyone who buys the game come into my server to burn everything. I keep sayin same things over and over but, dst caves beta branch had more experienced people and there was less griefing compared to what we have today. 10 people gets banned in a week. 9 of them are under 10 hours and most of these under 10 hours never ever touch to the game. I don't want regular players to get griefed in my server by some douchebag with money, buys the game and burns the community base in front of everyone.

Add mods, mods are out there mods mods... Mods completely change the game experience. When you cannot burn something for some certain day it is more like a punishment to the players who are decent and joins in winter to survive.

Other mod, makes bases cannot be hammered down and burned (fire and wall protection) this totally disables all of the materials to get burned which means that u dont need ice flingomatic (if i am not mistaken. correct me if i am). Completely different game. I just do not want to add mods to ruin real dst experience for couple of douchebags.

I stand by my point that exp. filtering would be bad for the community.  Most noobs I've met are sincerely trying to be helpful; sure they fail miserably sometimes, but they're not greifers.  Why should they be auto-banned from your server, and 50 others just because they're not good yet?  And how are they going to get good if they're not allowed to play on any servers, except those with a flashing neon sign that says "Noobs here"?  That server will attract greifers like nobody's business, making the problem even worse.  This'll only end up in new players who are angry at not being allowed to play the cool game they just got, and the community getting steadily more insular and unwilling to accept newcomers unless they can 1v1 the deerclops or whatever.

I've met a grand total of 3 noobs turned greifers, although I do run a modded server, and that's where I tend to stay.  In all 3 of those cases, noob died, then sanity-greifed everyone out of spite because he was bad at the game, and nobody had hearts/glands on them, and they didn't feel like fighting spiders for some whiny kid.

I agree with you that mods like Fix Multiplayer really need a whitelist, where you can add the names of server admins and regulars, but I have noticed that servers that have mods, any mods, have significantly lower numbers of greifers.  Just add some minor mod, like Wilson's Improved arms, or whatever.  

There are mods that give more admin powers, like extinguishing all fires in the screen.  This seems like it would fit your needs.  I have seen a mod where it gives an announcement every time someone burns something, without blocking them, but it was obnoxious.

Non-modded servers are a whole different monster.  An absolute nest of greifers, angry noobs, and trolls.  In one play session, I have met 5 greifers.  The base game has no greifer protection other than watchful admins and rollbacks.  This is something that does need addressed.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431829828&searchtext=

I stand by my point that exp. filtering would be bad for the community.  Most noobs I've met are sincerely trying to be helpful; sure they fail miserably sometimes, but they're not greifers.  Why should they be auto-banned from your server, and 50 others just because they're not good yet?  And how are they going to get good if they're not allowed to play on any servers, except those with a flashing neon sign that says "Noobs here"?  That server will attract greifers like nobody's business, making the problem even worse.  This'll only end up in new players who are angry at not being allowed to play the cool game they just got, and the community getting steadily more insular and unwilling to accept newcomers unless they can 1v1 the deerclops or whatever.

I've met a grand total of 3 noobs turned greifers, although I do run a modded server, and that's where I tend to stay.  In all 3 of those cases, noob died, then sanity-greifed everyone out of spite because he was bad at the game, and nobody had hearts/glands on them, and they didn't feel like fighting spiders for some whiny kid.

I agree with you that mods like Fix Multiplayer really need a whitelist, where you can add the names of server admins and regulars, but I have noticed that servers that have mods, any mods, have significantly lower numbers of greifers.  Just add some minor mod, like Wilson's Improved arms, or whatever.  

There are mods that give more admin powers, like extinguishing all fires in the screen.  This seems like it would fit your needs.  I have seen a mod where it gives an announcement every time someone burns something, without blocking them, but it was obnoxious.

Non-modded servers are a whole different monster.  An absolute nest of greifers, angry noobs, and trolls.  In one play session, I have met 5 greifers.  The base game has no greifer protection other than watchful admins and rollbacks.  This is something that does need addressed.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431829828&searchtext=

well i know what i am banning. generally griefers are so noob that they even burn base in front of you. There can be helpful people everywhere but if game is not important to you, you will be more likely to grief. Most newcomers are not gonna play the game for long so they will more likely to grief others. If someone plays regularly especially on servers, he cannot dare to grief. Also, it is not ban it is filtering. Once they pass 150 hours they can join. No one is banning anyone from anywhere. With same logic, we can think all private servers are banning everyone.

extinguishing all fires these are not solution. While ur extinguishing a fire that might be a dead sentence of a person in some critical situation.. Also if there is no admin bye bye to the base in either case.

I am actaully talking from experiences and banlist u are talking from couple of observations. Most of my banlist are under 10 hours. that is all i can say. yes couple of noobs are griefers cuz not only 10 players join to my server in a week but 10 people get banned. If 9 of them are under 10 to 50 hours that is a good sign that most griefers are new players. In caves beta branch i could actually guess who could be a griefer cuz I knew all other players they were all regular and for example if someone with an unfamiliar name comes to base and if we found the base burned down we could easily understand who burned it. But now? 15 people joins and 10 of em are unknown people. Someone burns base somewhere. No one knows. Another person burns portal base. No one knows. Someone puts 4 spider dens to portal. No one knows...

If you got an xp filtering, you will know more about people who joins to base. Other case is just random. All 1 hour, 0.5 hours are coming you will never know who wanna burn in couple minutes.

Other thing is I am not really a fan of playing in a server with 10 dead people... you revive someone and he dies in a minute. Even if he is not a griefer, cuz he is noob he will be a leecher on purpose or due to lack of xp he has to sit in the base and this is risky cuz if he griefs you will never know who did that if there was no proof and 5 newb is around..

well i know what i am banning. generally griefers are so noob that they even burn base in front of you. There can be helpful people everywhere but if game is not important to you, you will be more likely to grief. Most newcomers are not gonna play the game for long so they will more likely to grief others. If someone plays regularly especially on servers, he cannot dare to grief. Also, it is not ban it is filtering. Once they pass 150 hours they can join. No one is banning anyone from anywhere. With same logic, we can think all private servers are banning everyone.

ban1
ban/
verb

1. 1.
    officially or legally prohibit.

So, you want anyone who hasn't played for 150 hours to be prohibited from playing on any server that has an exp. filter up (which will be about 90% of open servers).  

I'm not arguing that most greifers aren't noobs.  Most are noobs, as has been clearly pointed out to me, by experience, and by you people.  I have been the Noob Shepard before, and I hated it.  However, in all my time carefully doting after all who died in base from collecting honey, filling chests with hearts, only for them to be emptied in a few days, I almost never encountered greifers. I don't know why, other than the server having mods (although none protected from greifing of any kind), and them not spending much time dead.

Most greifers are noobs, but most noobs aren't greifers.  Sure, noobs are a huge drain on recources, and will often kill you, and will almost always drag you down with them when they mess up.  This means that they have to LEARN, not that they're evil.

There's a huge difference between an open server with an exp. filter, and a private server.  A private server is one that is made for a select group, and is basically invitation-only, and an exp. filter is a bar to disallow certain people under set number of hours.  

The main issue I have with this is how widespread it will be.  Nobody likes playing with noobs, so 9/10 server owners will jump on the exp. filter.  This means that Noobs will only be able to play on marked, greifer-packed servers, or hosted servers(which lack caves). 

Let's say that this exp. filter thing does go through.  A few weeks later, you have a few 150 hour, no-longer-noob players entering exp. filtered servers for the first time.  The rest of the noobs have long since left, leaving a bad review for the game, and even worse memories and stories for their friends.  What are these hardened players going to do?  They've been raised in the most greifer-filled environment for the longest time.  Sanity means nothing to them.  They're afraid of other players, so they destroy you, or avoid you as much as possible.  They steal from every base they come across.  Their life is more important than those that that base supports.  You now have a new breed of greifer.  One who's clever.  Who actually knows how to survive, and how to resurrect themselves in a pinch.  Now what?

So, what makes me think that these Noob servers will be greifer nests?

1. Some people like trolling players who are worse than them.  Where better to go than the only server that noobs can play on?

2.  Noobs turn greifer fast, and when one noob sees another turn greifer, they'll likely join them in the cause (of making everybody else's life miserable).

its not banning. again if this is banning, any server u set up, you are banning everyone from your server. no difference. Why you dont want unknown people in your server and don't support this idea. I don't understand.

Statistically, most servers are non dedic servers and most of players are on these non dedic servers. While you are enjoying your game in a server where you ban rest of the world, why all vanilla dedic servers must be punished with griefers? I can put an arithmetic mean of all players' playing hours in my banlist after the update, and you will see that it is under 40 hours.

What you don't know is, most dedic public servers would not implement this idea. The reason is:

1) Some servers are klei hosted. They would not use it even they implement.

2) More people will be coming to servers which is better for some individually hosted dedic servers.

3) Some of them got mods so they don't need.

4) They are simply against the idea.

Lets talk from your perspective again i dont consider everything as a ban. BAN

When people put group only dedic servers they ban people (anyone noob or not noob). When people put password they ban everyone from their server. But when a public dedic server wants same thing they cannot ban. Also in your ban as long as you don't want anyone to join they cannot join. But this is not same and if they keep playing, they can eventually join. So the cases are different.

This filtering would not be implemented by the majority of the servers i am sure of it.

What you also don't understand is this is not a klei server that I am hosting and I am not working for klei. I want a more secure server and I am telling my opinion about it. My blocklist is ready to prove who is a real griefer. There are bunch of klei hosted servers out there where people can join and will be lotta servers who will not implement this filtering too... I see a problem with griefers and most are comin from noob database I want a simple protection. I am hosting this server and I want something like group only server but instead of that I want xp filtered server.

Oh if I post arithmetic mean of gameplay hours of players even that will be misleading. Because the reason is, probably most of them played the game less than today when they griefed. So the data will be above the real value. Real value is even lower.

its not banning. again if this is banning, any server u set up, you are banning everyone from your server. no difference. Why you dont want unknown people in your server and don't support this idea. I don't understand.

Statistically, most servers are non dedic servers and most of players are on these non dedic servers. While you are enjoying your game in a server where you ban rest of the world, why all vanilla dedic servers must be punished with griefers? I can put an arithmetic mean of all players' playing hours in my banlist after the update, and you will see that it is under 40 hours.

What you don't know is, most dedic public servers would not implement this idea. The reason is:

1) Some servers are klei hosted. They would not use it even they implement.

2) More people will be coming to servers which is better for some individually hosted dedic servers.

3) Some of them got mods so they don't need.

4) They are simply against the idea.

Lets talk from your perspective again i dont consider everything as a ban. BAN

When people put group only dedic servers they ban people (anyone noob or not noob). When people put password they ban everyone from their server. But when a public dedic server wants same thing they cannot ban. Also in your ban as long as you don't want anyone to join they cannot join. But this is not same and if they keep playing, they can eventually join. So the cases are different.

This filtering would not be implemented by the majority of the servers i am sure of it.

What you also don't understand is this is not a klei server that I am hosting and I am not working for klei. I want a more secure server and I am telling my opinion about it. My blocklist is ready to prove who is a real griefer. There are bunch of klei hosted servers out there where people can join and will be lotta servers who will not implement this filtering too... I see a problem with griefers and most are comin from noob database I want a simple protection. I am hosting this server and I want something like group only server but instead of that I want xp filtered server.

Oh if I post arithmetic mean of gameplay hours of players even that will be misleading. Because the reason is, probably most of them played the game less than today when they griefed. So the data will be above the real value. Real value is even lower.

I host an open dedicated server with mods.  I have few regulars, so unknown people are welcome.  Almost all of the hosted servers I've ran were also open, but were rarely joined.  Nowadays I kick anyone who dies a stupid death on day one, and that works well enough. 

I didn't know about klei-hosted servers, but if they're anything like Valve servers in TF2, which carry pubstompers, hackers, and other nuisances, relying on them as a place to raise noobs isn't that great of an idea.  Looking, I can only find 2 of them, each with 8 max players; one in NY and one in Singapore.  So that's 16 guaranteed  slots for noobs to take.  Assuming 10% of player made servers don't implement the exp. filter, there will be plenty of room for them, but experienced players will avoid those servers like the plague.  What do you think those noobs will do when left completely to their own devices?  

Vanilla public servers do have serious greifer problems, yes.  And things do need to be done about this.  Already, about 75% of dedicated servers are password-protected. Just reset all filters except dedicated servers and look down the list.   About 70% of vanilla dedicated servers are password protected.  An exp. filter allows randoms, but blocks annoying noobs, making it the best of both worlds, so it would be even more popular than password protection.  I know that I would have it on my server if it was available, which is why I'm against it, strangely enough. It's very appetizing, but considering how noobs would act without any kind of guidance, and even more of a cold shoulder from experienced players, their behaviors would likely get worse.

Also, yes I did use the word ban wrong.  Players who don't know the password are prohibited from playing on password-protected servers.  Players who aren't part of a group are prohibited from group-only servers.  Still, ban and prohibit mean the same thing outside of the definition given by gaming; to prohibit a specific individual from reentering after one or more transgressions.

I host an open dedicated server with mods.  I have few regulars, so unknown people are welcome.  Almost all of the hosted servers I've ran were also open, but were rarely joined.  Nowadays I kick anyone who dies a stupid death on day one, and that works well enough. 

I didn't know about klei-hosted servers, but if they're anything like Valve servers in TF2, which carry pubstompers, hackers, and other nuisances, relying on them as a place to raise noobs isn't that great of an idea.  Looking, I can only find 2 of them, each with 8 max players; one in NY and one in Singapore.  So that's 16 guaranteed  slots for noobs to take.  Assuming 10% of player made servers don't implement the exp. filter, there will be plenty of room for them, but experienced players will avoid those servers like the plague.  What do you think those noobs will do when left completely to their own devices?  

Vanilla public servers do have serious greifer problems, yes.  And things do need to be done about this.  Already, about 75% of dedicated servers are password-protected. Just reset all filters except dedicated servers and look down the list.   About 70% of vanilla dedicated servers are password protected.  An exp. filter allows randoms, but blocks annoying noobs, making it the best of both worlds, so it would be even more popular than password protection.  I know that I would have it on my server if it was available, which is why I'm against it, strangely enough. It's very appetizing, but considering how noobs would act without any kind of guidance, and even more of a cold shoulder from experienced players, their behaviors would likely get worse.

Also, yes I did use the word ban wrong.  Players who don't know the password are prohibited from playing on password-protected servers.  Players who aren't part of a group are prohibited from group-only servers.  Still, ban and prohibit mean the same thing outside of the definition given by gaming; to prohibit a specific individual from reentering after one or more transgressions.

7351 Players playing right now.

Passworded    2967 players

Dedicated    779 players

Modded    3752 players

Most of the DST players does not even play in dedic servers. just 10% plays in dedic servers and some of these dedic servers are pass protected some others are modded. If this idea is implemented it would only affect lets say 100 players not to join to certain specific dedic servers (i am sure it will not be used by the majority of dedic servers because of the reason i mentioned in other comment above). Players that play in password protected servers are almost the half of the whole players. Rest of the servers are open to everyone dedic or non dedic. The advantage of non dedic servers is that admin has to be online so he can easily rollback and ban the guy or can put mods. This thing is same for modded dedic and non dedic servers. The idea you are against just affects 10% of all players (lets say half is new to the game and some are modded dedic servers, it will only affect maybe 3% of the players and even that is not a correct percentage cuz not all servers would implement xp filtering).

Griefers come to these type of servers

1) Vanilla servers.

2) Public servers with more people.

Average griefer specs.

1) Extremely noob so they burn base in front of everyone including admin.

2) Mostly they burn or hammer down a base which is a good indication of their level of knowledge about griefing.

while more than half of the players playing the game and enjoying their game behind pass protected servers, leaving whole noob griefers in vanilla dedic servers is inacceptable.

OK, modding is cool, it is nice that klei supports modding, I would love to work on modding too if I knew and if I had time to work on it. But I don't like the fact that while supporting modders and modding, they leave vanilla dedic servers to their destiny and they don't even set a pace about it. Kind of forcing everyone to add mods. If we are going to add these protection mods to our servers, then why klei dont implement them to the base game from the beginning? If they really care about vanilla dedic servers, then why don't have any idea about it on how to prevent this madness?

You have a game and everything but you force all dedic servers to add protection mods with this policy. This is disappointing.

Yes it does not necessarily have to be xp filtering. It is just an idea. But if they got any better idea they should work on it. If they have no idea then they should also think about this too.

They are now working on autokick option i will probably use it even though i am sure it will be abused.

You make good points.  I suppose that it'll only be harmful in worst case scenario; almost all servers add them, forcing noobs into their own hellish little corner.  And, yeah noobs are very likely to make their own server, or join a friend's hosted server for the first few times playing, but I do come across many who just bought the game and decide to inflict themselves upon others.  But still, how many experienced players will want to go to non-exp filtered servers?  They might stumble in them by accident, or just to see what it's like, then either try to herd the noobs, troll the easy targets, or challenge themselves to be nomad in a world likely devoid of resources.  I doubt many players will go out of their way to impart knowledge to noobs very often, if at all.  In the current system, they're kinda forced to, even if it's just some noob seeing a well-built base, seeing you cook good meals (and asking for recipes), or watching you kite something.  This makes them grow out of the noob state faster than if left to their own devices.

There does need to be some kind of punishment for greifing that follows you through servers.  Perhaps having Willow locked at a certain reputation level, or being unable to set anything on fire if you set fire to structures recently, even on another server.  Maybe having Krampus haunt you when at a really low rep, but not steal, and will imprison or attack you should you set fire to structures, hammer structures, or die. (when dead in krampus's sack, you don't harm the sanity of others. Krampus will head to the nearest player, and follow them.  He can be given a heart or life-giving amulet to rez player.)  Problem is that these would be hard to implement, and might not do much.

well xp filtered servers wont attract lotta players and it will not be implemented by the majority (comments are above why it wont be like that). even though im sure the potential players would be less than today, I would gladly implement this idea. As I said, not most players playing in dedic servers but you keep saying that xp filtering will leave them to their destiny. This is not true because already only 3% of them plays in dedic servers. I am sure much more than that amount of people plays under 100 hours..

Even though only a few newbies play in dedic servers, dedic servers with no mod having maybe 90% of the griefers and I don't want griefing in my server like in caves beta days. Because more griefer noobs prefer non modded servers on purpose so it is a wise idea to implement this filtering.

Also people can learn the game by playing themselves with their friends, in modded servers etc. And there will be lotta klei hosted servers, modded dedic servers, or dedic servers with hosts who are against this idea. Majority will embrace them. So nothing to worry about that.

Don't think that experienced players wanna play with them... They make their bases to the deepest parts of the server like to the ruins to escape them. They don't stay at the community base unless they are large in numbers (if the majority is experienced they stay, if 1-2 players are experienced and rest are all noobs they simply stay away from them). So currently they are left to their destiny cuz they need to learn game to go into stage where they can be useful to group.. No one would look for 4 leechers in their base even if they are not griefer.. You put 10 meat to fridge and u find a rot in return in a day in the fridge. They sit in the base and simply dancing whole day. I saw 2 guys (no exaggeration) sit in the base and danced to the death... They danced for a day then they were hungry asked for food and nobody gave them cuz no one would share their food with couple of dancing leechers.

I am just really tired of camping at the base to watch out which newbie with an unknown name will come and hammer down the base in front of me and yes I should not be forced to play with new players.

I'm thinking: why not combine popularity/opinion and auto-ban? As in adding a downvote button in the tab menu, and if five people on one server downvote you within a certain ammount of time, you are banned from THAT server. This doesn't prevent "noobs" from joining other servers, now with the experience in mind so they do not **** up again. This should possibly be implemented in combination with a unable-to-use mechanic. Torches/lighters/hammers and other destroying objects can simply not be used on certain items (crock pots, science machines and other camp items) other than by the player that placed them. This way griefing becomes nearly impossible.

On 1/11/2016 at 1:51 AM, KitcheVadimas said:

You make good points.  I suppose that it'll only be harmful in worst case scenario; almost all servers add them, forcing noobs into their own hellish little corner.  And, yeah noobs are very likely to make their own server, or join a friend's hosted server for the first few times playing, but I do come across many who just bought the game and decide to inflict themselves upon others.  But still, how many experienced players will want to go to non-exp filtered servers?  They might stumble in them by accident, or just to see what it's like, then either try to herd the noobs, troll the easy targets, or challenge themselves to be nomad in a world likely devoid of resources.  I doubt many players will go out of their way to impart knowledge to noobs very often, if at all.  In the current system, they're kinda forced to, even if it's just some noob seeing a well-built base, seeing you cook good meals (and asking for recipes), or watching you kite something.  This makes them grow out of the noob state faster than if left to their own devices.

There does need to be some kind of punishment for greifing that follows you through servers.  Perhaps having Willow locked at a certain reputation level, or being unable to set anything on fire if you set fire to structures recently, even on another server.  Maybe having Krampus haunt you when at a really low rep, but not steal, and will imprison or attack you should you set fire to structures, hammer structures, or die. (when dead in krampus's sack, you don't harm the sanity of others. Krampus will head to the nearest player, and follow them.  He can be given a heart or life-giving amulet to rez player.)  Problem is that these would be hard to implement, and might not do much.

As an experienced player, I just want to play with other players that know their way through the game. I am so fed up with noobs doing all kinds of things that make what I have been doing meaningless. It's like when you work hard a whole day and come back home and your salary is taken by someone else who does not contribute.

You are right, currently, experienced player are forced to play with noobs. I don't know whether it's a great experience for noobs, but it certainly is a bad experience for experienced ones. What we can do is only to be a better player to outweigh what noobs take from us. And most of the time, I need to carry whatever I need, rocks, gold, food, .etc with me just because I know if I leave them at camp, it will be gone in minutes. 

I don't see the point of experienced player teaching noobs. You can get most of the basic knowledge on wiki. You can keep the wiki open and check it if you don't know the recipes. You can watch Youtube videos of how to kill giants. Really, I have seen NO noob so far that actually tries to learn. All they do is making mistakes and holding you back. I can tell you all the things I have seen noobs do all day. 

More importantly, being a noob also means that it is likely he/she is not into the game. He/she just does what he/she likes. And I think the definition of griefer is not limited to those who burn and hammer everything, which is most visible. It also includes those who do not really try to survive but play in a selfish way, especially he/she is taking resources that others collected to survive.  Most of the time, I feel that experienced players are hijacked morally: If there is a set camp, should I tell the location to noobs? Will I be responsible for his/her death if I don't tell him/her? And once you tell the first one, he/she will tell whoever joins without even asking for permission. In a few days, the camp is full of noobs and everything is out of control. 

Finally, what is wrong with noobs playing with noobs? Is it the responsibility of an experienced player to choose not to play with an unqualified player who cannot manage on his own and dies?

You are right, currently, experienced player are forced to play with noobs. I don't know whether it's a great experience for noobs, but it certainly is a bad experience for experienced ones. What we can do is only to be a better player to outweigh what noobs take from us.

It depends on the noob.  I have good friends who are noobs, and I help them in the game, so they learn quickly.  I show them how to build a proper base that can sustain several people, I show them how to fight bosses with little to no help from in-fighting.  These are the good kinds of noobs, the ones who actually like the game and want to play more.  They're helpful even to experienced players, so it's a good experience for both. 

The bad noobs on the other hand, who dismiss any help you have, and attempt to focus on survival while ignoring simple things like organization that greatly aid in survival, or who just fail their attempt at survival altogether are the ones who get the attention, and give all noobs a bad rep.  I just return the jackarseery even better, looting their bodies, turning off my torch when they try to leech, turn on badly placed flingos, ect. when I'm not admin.  When I am admin, I simply wait for a rule to be broken, then drop the ban-hammer.

Finally, what is wrong with noobs playing with noobs? Is it the responsibility of an experienced player to choose not to play with an unqualified player who cannot manage on his own and dies?

The main problem with noobs playing with noobs is greifing.  It is well established that greifers tend to be noobs, so shoving all of the noobs into a few servers with no experienced players will likely end up with a net gain of greifers.  My strat with dealing with those who die quickly is simply to not resurrect them unless I need the sanity, then thank them for the sanity.  Of course I do so after looting their body of anything I need.

I don't see the point of experienced player teaching noobs. You can get most of the basic knowledge on wiki. You can keep the wiki open and check it if you don't know the recipes. You can watch Youtube videos of how to kill giants. Really, I have seen NO noob so far that actually tries to learn. All they do is making mistakes and holding you back. I can tell you all the things I have seen noobs do all day. 

Yes, I do think that people should know all the basic knowledge before playing with others, but a lot of players like to learn with experience, so they don't want to learn from the wiki.  I have seen noobs learn from myself.  Say I'm fighting a treeguard.  Noob sees me take 4 strikes, then dodge over and over again.  After a short while of watching, noob will join in, and do 4 strikes and dodge, with few mistakes (the biggest one usually being equipped with an ax and no armor).  Noobs also see how and where you have your base built, strategies that are complex and not well-taught through text like the wiki. Sure, there are those who go insane and don't listen to my repeated advice of "Dodge, then strike!"  

More importantly, being a noob also means that it is likely he/she is not into the game. He/she just does what he/she likes.

Noob just means someone who has little experience with the game, either because she just bought it/got it as a present, or because it's a game he only plays when bored of all xir other games.

And most of the time, I need to carry whatever I need, rocks, gold, food, .etc with me just because I know if I leave them at camp, it will be gone in minutes.........  And I think the definition of griefer is not limited to those who burn and hammer everything, which is most visible. It also includes those who do not really try to survive but play in a selfish way, especially he/she is taking resources that others collected to survive.

That's more jackarse than destructive, and greifers are more players that are actively and knowingly destroying things.  Still, non-cooperative play in a co-op server is something should be punished, but I think it should be done more by the admin than by the devs.  It would be great if the devs could provide automatic or semi-automatic ways of enforcing simple rules like "no stealing from someone else's chester", "If you die on your first day, you're getting kicked", ect.  Or at least a way for an admin to keep an eye on the server when he/she isn't actually playing.  Having a window with the game on spectate would be nice, or at least a server log that includes things like who burned/hammered/took what, although that would be a total mess to view...

I enjoy playing with more serious players with around 20 hours of exp.  They know the basics of the game, and can live for several days on their own with no base or outside help, and may know the basics of base-building.  They're generally eager to learn from more experienced players, and will do pretty much whatever you tell them to do to help out.  

As an experienced player, I just want to play with other players that know their way through the game. I am so fed up with noobs doing all kinds of things that make what I have been doing meaningless. It's like when you work hard a whole day and come back home and your salary is taken by someone else who does not contribute.......

Most of the time, I feel that experienced players are hijacked morally: If there is a set camp, should I tell the location to noobs? Will I be responsible for his/her death if I don't tell him/her? And once you tell the first one, he/she will tell whoever joins without even asking for permission. In a few days, the camp is full of noobs and everything is out of control.

None of the noobs I play with now are like this.  All I do as a filter is kick everyone who dies on their first day.  A lot of your issues with noobs would be solved with a team of good admins, and/or an automatic way of enforcing simple rules.  Talking to the noobs when they do something wrong works well.  Telling someone "You placed the berry bushes by the fire instead of in the designated farm area?  I'm going to have to move them so we don't have to waste a flingo." Or "Please take note of the items in front of chests.  Those are labels." Works wonders.

And if it's the worst kind of noob, who thinks he knows better than you, or thinks that you asking him to do something is a crime... Wait for him to break a rule, then kick/ban him.  This is an issue where having more admin powers and especially a moderator rank would really help.

I don't want to blow my own trumpet but I'm an experienced Don't Starve player. I bought the game in early development and I've logged hundreds of hours. I haven't played much DST (relative to a lot of players) but I find myself leading noobs and even showing experienced players a trick or two (although I'm a little rusty at the moment as I'm a returning player). DST may be different from single player but I feel confident enough with the changes for it not to make a major difference. So, would I be banned from experienced players' servers because I lack the amount of hours played, and therefore experience? I don't think I'd be alone in this situation. How do you get around this issues? Similarly how do you get around newbies that are quick learners and would be an asset if given a chance? 

Archived