First impressions

I only played one game so far, my 7yo boy kept asking when multi player comes out as he really wants to play it.

I logged in myself to the first server I saw with good connection.  There was 3 people on the server, and it was night time.  So I waited it out as I had nothing else on me.

Morning comes, so I make my way around looking for basic supplies. It's almost night and I haven't made anything because I haven't found a single piece of flint.  Looks like the place was ransacked.  A minute before I was about to die due to night time and no source of fire I see an old camp near a pig king.  I lite the fire with some wood boards I see laying around and made it though the night.

I look around the camp and get what I can before making off for the day, I get a helmet and some armor.  There is no food or tools outside of a razor.  When morning hits I start looking for flint again.  Night time falls before I find a single piece.  Game Over Man. 

Forgot to mention it was super laggy.  I started my own server and it ran good.

I haven't played much yet, but lack of flint is one of major problems at start. First players collect all flint at reasonable distance around spawn, so you have to ask them to give you some flint to make tools. Usually it's not a problem if players are online. If no one is online or players are not cooperative I personally don't see much sense in playing on such server.

However usually there is grass and twigs to make enough torches to survive first nights. I think the best strategy is to begin with exploring in one chosen direction, gathering all food you see and avoiding any dangers. Eventually you will find some flint.

Regarding flint, the strategy has changed a bit now. Instead of looking for flint in the grassy areas, your best bet is to explore for a rocky or mosaic area with meteors, since that will be a replenishing source of flint. So I just pick up the supplies for a few torches while I'm in the grassy area, then look for meteors.

It really depends on the server you join.

I have joined some and they have been large bases right at spawn with super nice people that are willing to help.

And some that do not really help the new spawns and it is up to you to survive in the world.

Over all I have had a good expericne even on the dedicated pub server.

In singleplayer when I'm first starting out, I usually harvests a large number of twigs and grass and go by torch until I can find a reliable quarry to get gold and flint from. I'm not sure how much that transfers to multiplayer, not having DST yet. Thank goodness for renewable minerals though.

Starter pack for newcomers is what do we need.

I'd rather not that, but I think regenerating flint to some degree is needed.  Because it is very easy to not find any in the first 2-3 nights on a multi player server it seems and if you don't get to the other people you are at a roadblock that stops all further development.

Regarding flint, the strategy has changed a bit now. Instead of looking for flint in the grassy areas, your best bet is to explore for a rocky or mosaic area with meteors, since that will be a replenishing source of flint. So I just pick up the supplies for a few torches while I'm in the grassy area, then look for meteors.

I travelled for 2 full days as far as I could without going back and never found any.

I actually think it is an issue with the game as a whole. If I'm up to day 5 on survival singleplayer and I haven't yet found any gold I seriously consider re-rolling my world. Though again, torches only require twigs and grass which should be abundant unless you have the bad fortune of immediately spawning behind someone else new.

Archived