About Deerclops

Simple question. Is there a specific day or range of days in which Deerclops spawns or is more likely to spawn? I'm asking this because I typically build two separate bases: one for Spring, Summer and Autumn, and one for Winter. The former normally ends up being huge and full of resources, while the latter remains very minimalistic, because Deerclops always spawns wherever the first growl is heard and I don't want to have lots of valuable buildings for him to immediately smash upon spawning. However, I'm a little tired of having to hang out at a base where I have barely anything hundreds of days into the game, so I was wondering if it was viable to stay in my big base during most of Winter and then run somewhere else to wait for him to attack after a certain amount of days.

In my experience he shows up in the last half of winter.  I think the wiki says there must be at least three structures nearby for him to show.  In my experience that is NOT true, unless the range to detect them is absolutely huge.  There have been multiple times I was big-footing lumber in the forest biome, nothing around but a campfire - no pigs houses, I relocated them all - and he still showed up.

I would say you're safe at your regular base for the first half of winter, but after that try to find something else to do away from main base if possible.  Might not be a lot you need hundreds of days in though I guess.   Another option is to spend the last half caving, he won't bother you in the caves.    I guess you could always spend the time improving the winter base as much as possible.  So your winter activity can be repairing the damage he did last winter.

Deerclops required at least two structures in lightning-rod-range to spawn on you. He spawns after about 2/3 (10 days) of winter in my experience. His great weaknesses are tanks (one-by-one) and group killers (tentacles in specific). You can ward that frightening foe off using powder cakes, he'll instantly fall due to them. It works greatly, you should rely on that!

What counts as a Deerclops-attracting structure? I want to lure him to the place where I've planted a bunch of treeguards.

Signs count as structures, use those. They're cheap, they drop all their resources when destroyed, and they aren't in the way.

Archived