Just got finished playing don't starve, here's what I think:

Overall score: 6/10.  (good work, love that you guys are putting in the effort, but still needs some polishing to have an enjoyable server) 

Baseline: 8 (Normally 5, but because this is beta, it starts with +3)

Boredom: -1

I love multiplayer, and have wanted this for years: +3

Surviving with people is fun: +2 

No dedicated servers that I can join/play: -4

Laggy servers: -2

PvP and PvE has no difference really: +0, (not really a bad thing, just interesting) 

Ok let me explain. My main gripe with the game is as follows: 

Don't starve takes hours, even days to actually get to the good parts.  You start with nothing, then get a base, then a self sustaining base, then you can start worrying about all this crazy magic stuff (other than effigies which i tend to rush).  Fighting bosses/exploring caves too; I tend to not do them until after i'm properly set up. 

In beta, you have one guy who might get to day 15 before quitting and the entire server rolls up and vanishes with him/her.  By that time, I might have a basic base, (if i join early) and a spear.  If i don't join early, i might just get my hand on a fistful of berries before the inevitable kick.

There just isn't a lot of motivation to have a lot of interplay, lord of the flies style action between characters.  Raiding someone's meager base is futile, because odds are, there's nothing worth stealing, and it'll just be gone in 10 minutes anyways. 

I've heard some people complaining that it wasn't hard enough.  I take a different view.  If you want people to fight each other, you need to have them spawn with some basic combat equipment like spears and log armor.  (oh and if you made people drop meat when they died, watch how fast they resort to cannibalism.) 

Take the +3 off the baseline. Do not give Beta games sympathy when reviewing, critique will help more than it will hurt. It might align with the plans the devs have in mind, but underlining it just assures they are on the right path.

I have a idea for the boredom, too bad I am really coming to a snails pace at getting it to work. But yes, while crazed fans like me can be entertained by watching tumbleweed AI in ROG, most players are hitting the old boredom wall that used to be stretched out overtime in vanilla SP.

PVP is going to be a difficult thing make catch on. It has the audience, but the general gameplay is not appropriate.

I really don't like the gold tool, armor, and damage nerf. I always imagined DST as single player with a few tweaks to make it playable, not make it harder.

For example, it takes about 5 or 6 hits to kill a measly spider with a spear, and the boomerang just became even more useless.

I really don't like the gold tool, armor, and damage nerf. I always imagined DST as single player with a few tweaks to make it playable, not make it harder.

For example, it takes about 5 or 6 hits to kill a measly spider with a spear, and the boomerang just became even more useless.

The nerfs have seemed pretty alright to me... Plus It's really fun to have 2 people beat the **** out of a single spider... and boomerang is ridiculous for hunting/luring etc. Being so cheap.

The nerfs have seemed pretty alright to me... Plus It's really fun to have 2 people beat the **** out of a single spider... and boomerang is ridiculous for hunting/luring etc. Being so cheap.

Nevermind the fact Boomerangs are practically heat seeking just makes them hilarious.

Take the +3 off the baseline. Do not give Beta games sympathy when reviewing, critique will help more than it will hurt. It might align with the plans the devs have in mind, but underlining it just assures they are on the right path.

I have a idea for the boredom, too bad I am really coming to a snails pace at getting it to work. But yes, while crazed fans like me can be entertained by watching tumbleweed AI in ROG, most players are hitting the old boredom wall that used to be stretched out overtime in vanilla SP.

PVP is going to be a difficult thing make catch on. It has the audience, but the general gameplay is not appropriate.

I feel you; but at the same time I feel the multiplayer is going in the right direction and I really can't fault them for things they haven't had time to make yet.  You got to put in a good foundation before you get to build the walls and put in a couch.

Having (relatively) stable play is a good first step, followed by tweaking to make sure everything is balanced.

I'm hoping 'phase 3' will include a few hack-proof dedicated servers.  once those arrive, most of my problems with the game will disappear.

(by the way, haven't seen any hackers yet, have any of you?)

I don't even know what to do look for in a DST hacker. I know setting your speed up when you're not the host results in you desyncing to the point of disconnecting, similar with spawning in an item... doesn't do anything and you have to disconnect to get rid of it soooo.

There are a few console commands you can use to find information as a client (reveal the map, find other players, still uncover map as a ghost), but I don't think it qualifies as real hacking. I'm not sure what's even possible to hack, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Archived