My thoughts on world size

I've been playing DST for 20 hours now and I've enjoyed mostly everything so far.

A few things that comes to mind:
- World size
- Finite resources

One of the things that I like about DS, is exploration. Finding new biomes, creature-spawns and resources are always an interesting find. This is where the problem with world size comes in. I feel it's too small, even when having the size at huge.

I've been playing with a friend all this time and we've managed to explore the entire map by day 15.
Imagine if we were 4, 6 or even 8 players playing together. That would really make the world feel small.

This isn't necessarily an issue that's exlusive to DST, I've felt the same about singleplayer as well.

Would perhaps an infinitely generated world be possible? (like Minecraft)
This would solve the resource problem as well.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

This is kind of off topic, pointing at another kind of nitpick, but I personally feel like the way the land generates all together is.. urg, loss of words.. Annoying, a bit too predictable and small by it's dividing-behaviour.

It always seem to have this middle point from where you can explore the wings branching off. With biomes and set pieces generating almost all the time in the most predictable same-y way.

The world seems to be one large circle-ish, with veins of water splitting it apart into the middle. And to explore the other side of that river you always have to go back to the central "hub" of the island and go around to the next bit. Like a level selection.

A bridge or just connecting the lands together again once in a while would really help the world seem larger. Because each divided "wing" is so thin that you don't have to spend much time walking before you end up bumping into the water border. No matter how large a world would generate it always seems to spread out in thin small lines.

This is kind of off topic, pointing at another kind of nitpick, but I personally feel like the way the land generates all together is.. urg, loss of words.. Annoying, a bit too predictable and small by it's dividing-behaviour.

It always seem to have this middle point from where you can explore the wings branching off. With biomes and set pieces generating almost all the time in the most predictable same-y way.

The world seems to be one large circle-ish, with veins of water splitting it apart into the middle. And to explore the other side of that river you always have to go back to the central "hub" of the island and go around to the next bit. Like a level selection.

A bridge or just connecting the lands together again once in a while would really help the world seem larger. Because each divided "wing" is so thin that you don't have to spend much time walking before you end up bumping into the water border. No matter how large a world would generate it always seems to spread out in thin small lines.

To avoid this. Use "Loop always, branch never" and the world becomes a circle with water in the middle.

I don't mind the world size particularly, as @YmerWATER was asking about, but I'm also playing with 2-4 players. I can see how it would become stale relatively quickly, even on Huge, with even more people. I don't know the complexity of coding an infinitely-generating world, but that would certainly solve the problem. It also adds a nice touch of evil charm that one can never fully understand or escape the world they're in, which seems right up this game's alley :wink:

What about creatures such as the clockwork monsters? New players would have an issue getting gearwheels.

I'm with you on the gears. We can dig up graves and hope-of-hope for them, but really are just stuck with luck (coding math aka RNG) without the Teleportato or Caves/Ruins or Clockwork set pieces. I, for one, feel no shame as a host spawning in a couple gears when all the graves have given me nothing. Any other DS world as singleplayer would have provided me 10, let alone what happens underground. If the Teleportato and/or Caves are never figured out, I hope at least the Clockwork set pieces from Default Plus/ RoG are introduced by default in DST.

Archived