Early Access Update 6: Archive Ghosts - Patch Notes

I really don't like some of the changes made to Internationale though. 

First of all it goes against making agents unique if her ability is now an item.

Her - now - item is the only starting item not available from a Nanofab (inconsistent behavior) and above all, it doesn't make sense to make a passive item, we have a name for that, it's called an augment...

I like the effect of it but not the implementation. I like how she reveals things around her passively now. I love that I don't have to scan all the time, which is something I used to do regularly before the update. It has the weird effect of making you go in a room right when you thought it's time to go back to the elevator.

I think the ability of Internationale should be an augment and not an item, because, as you said, the design is inconsistent.

The ability should be active and it should use the attack of Internationale. It would work like the ability of Dr. Xu, because with the old radius it was as powerful.

I also think Internationale's ability should be an augment, but I disagree about it being active and at the cost of an attack.  I would suggest that it be a separate augment from the one that allows her to access terminals to steal power from a distance, thus leaving her with two augments to start with no space available for another augment until she has one added from a cybernetics lab.

Wanted to note above that yes, you can get virtual duplicates of the 'unique' items that some of the other character get except Internationale's scanner, but notice that they are *custom* versions which make them slightly stronger than their early game equivalents; i.e. Banks's paralyzing injection lasts 3 rounds instead of the starter version's 2 rounds.

I do like the idea of moving the scanner from an item to an augment since item space is a premium. However, I don't think it would be hugely imbalanced or really a problem if you combined both of those aspects into a single augment. Yes it does make her a choice pick early on but obviously the scanner and console distance have strong synergy together, and separting either would effect her core identity.

If one were to argue that this would make Internationale much stronger than others, than I'd say all of the other characters should be brought up to that power level a little bit. Regardless of what your preferred strategy is, I think several would agree that not all of the characters are equally ideal or balanced. A recent poll on the forums here showed that Banks was the preferred character which makes sense since her utility is so high that is consistently helpful from early to end game.

Keeping them as separate augments would be fine with me as well, so long as you started the game with at least one empty augment slot (thus starting with 3, 2 filled and 1 empty). It could open the door for additional unique augments for the other characters as well. This keeps the focus on abilities that are unique to that specific character which is important to character identity, rather than on items which are sellable (or in Internationale's case, the scanner is transferable and useable by anyone currently). Another problem this would solve is finding captured agents since they don't start with any items but do retain their unique augment when found and thus, someone like Internationale would def have her scanner.

Some ideas I have for additional unique augments, assuming each character would receive 2:

[Nika] can run without being detected via sound from guards or sound detectors.

*A second idea that I have for Nika is to just add a stimulant as a unique augment exclusive to her, giving her a quick speed bonus without using up an item slot.

[banks] gets 1 extra knockout with both melee AND ranged attacks, thus making it not reproduceable by a single purchasable/discoverable augment.
*A second idea I have for Banks is to just change her paralyzer into a unique augment exclusive to her, freeing up an item slot.

[Deckard] cannot be detected via vision if he's more than 3/4 tiles away, effectively blocking out part of the enemy LoS (line of sight) and allowing him to approach enemies or slip out of sight range more easliy.
*As per the secondary suggestions above, just giving him a unique cloak-like augment, essentially freeing up an item space.

[shalem 11] gets a free ranged shot without consuming ammo, either 1-2 times per mission or it goes on a cooldown (every 6-8 rounds).
*Also for his existing unique augment, make it so that the piercing works for both melee AND ranged attacks so that it was truly unique and not reproduceable via a single purchasable/discoverable augments.
*A second idea I have is make it so Shalem 11 can 'hide' bodies, making them not discoverable by other guards, and perhaps reducing the cost of kills at the end of each mission.

[Dr. Xu] I love Xu's default already - it is really useful for null drones and hacking daemon'd safes, barriers, etc. I wouldnt mind giving him the augment that reduces the cooldown on items by 1 round and removing its public version out of the game. I want to like the latter's effect very much but can't legitimize implanting it when Net Downlink and others are so much more useful. Giving it to a already useful and technical-themed character like Xu makes sense thematically and could make him an even more attractive option. Perhaps increasing the cooldown bonus to reducing items by 2 rounds instead of 1 would be good as well.

I realize that these suggestions essentially make all the characters more powerful, but I'm hoping for some even more difficult and larger mission zones to be rolled out so if that is the end goal, I don't think this would result in imbalance but rather be keeping up with the pace of things. Oh and boss fights...I'm really hoping for some really exciting and difficult encounters at some point.

Last but not least, with all the money you earn in late game, perhaps a way to 'construct' your agency. Having an office UI that you can manage which provides some kind of bonuses or benefits to your team.

If one were to argue that this would make Internationale much stronger than others, than I'd say all of the other characters should be brought up to that power level a little bit. Regardless of what your preferred strategy is, I think several would agree that not all of the characters are equally ideal or balanced. A recent poll on the forums here showed that Banks was the preferred character which makes sense since her utility is so high that is consistently helpful from early to end game.

Exactly. The power level of Dr. Xu and the the old version of Internationale was very good and the power level of the other agents should be increased to make them unique.

Archived