Hand Drawn Map

Hey guys. I am unsure if this is the place to put this but I didn't see a suggestions section for the don't starve together beta.

Me and my friend have been playing DST for a while now and its great. Its everything (well not everything but things will come out in updates) that we went in hoping for.

There is one thing that I thought was quite annoying.

Your map is not shown with your friend.

Yet again I reiterate that this is simply annoying. Not anything that is game breaking or anything I actually have that much of an issue with. I simply had this idea.

What if there was an item specifically in DST (Obviously single player just wouldn't need it) that was this:

Hand Drawn Map

1 Paper

1 Charcoal

Makes: Hand Drawn Map - When used by any player on the server it reveals (With fog of war) what the person that drew the maps, map is like at the time of drawing it.

Yet again I would like to say that this isn't me complaining about how hard the game is or making it easier etc I just feel like an item like this would make sense.

Thanks for reading.

TL;DR

Hand Drawn Map

1 Paper

1 Charcoal

Effect: Reveals friends map

I think there should just be a specific button that lets you share a map with someone that is nearby and if they accept it, they would share maps with each other, revealing all the areas that the other player had not explored.

Btw, speaking of hand drawn maps, I think that DS map looks kind of digital. It would be better if when you open the map, things would look a lot the same, but with a tone of papyrus like places where the map has not been explored, and all the areas that would have been explored, would show stuff kind of transparent. Colour should stay in, thought so that some stuff would stay colour coded. I'll try and make an idea of what I mean, may be.

A small spoiler:

The mod project I'm working on, ________________, will have a feature, which makes you make a map and keep it in your inventory for you to open your map. Something similar with day-night time. Compass will have a better use as well, may be.

Yeah the item would be consumed on use. Didn't mention that. My bad.

I thought about the whole just press a button thing but I donno. I just thought it was cool to draw your friend a map. Kinda fits the theme.

I was about to write a separate suggestion thread for shared map vision. It's really a pain to explain to a friend where the heck am I in the world.

Please do implement an option of shared map vision or map sharing like outlined above.

I was about to write a separate suggestion thread for shared map vision. It's really a pain to explain to a friend where the heck am I in the world.

Please do implement an option of shared map vision or map sharing like outlined above.

I've been using lightshot to quickly upload a screenshot of where to go/where I am It works but it breaks immersion pretty badly.

I can't decide if I like this idea or not.

Your idea and way of implementing it sound find, and useful! But I'm worried it'll make things too easy.
The good side of this is that it makes new players on the server immediately more useful than before. The downside is that it removes any benefit that vets on the server have, not that that's important.
So far, in my experience, it's been interesting to have a new player join and do some of their own exploring before helping us at base. Sometimes they discover things that were left behind, or new developments in the world.
Also, in PVP it's essential that the map is not automatically shared, but you already covered that.
Maybe the solution is like someone stated above; making it a server option whether you can share the map or not?
Or perhaps just a simple item mod for what you described. Optional. 

I can't decide if I like this idea or not.

Your idea and way of implementing it sound find, and useful! But I'm worried it'll make things too easy.

The good side of this is that it makes new players on the server immediately more useful than before. The downside is that it removes any benefit that vets on the server have, not that that's important.

So far, in my experience, it's been interesting to have a new player join and do some of their own exploring before helping us at base. Sometimes they discover things that were left behind, or new developments in the world.

Also, in PVP it's essential that the map is not automatically shared, but you already covered that.

Maybe the solution is like someone stated above; making it a server option whether you can share the map or not?

Or perhaps just a simple item mod for what you described. Optional. 

I made a suggestion similar to this without having noticed this thread... my suggestion is two items:

One a map made from a compass (1 gold 1 papyrus) 1 papyrus (4 reeds) and charcoal (So in total 1 gold 8 reeds and a piece of charcoal) it would be a one time use item that combines your maps. The item cost sounds pretty decent to me for such an item, especially considering the reeds.

A magic based map created at the Prestihatitator or even shadow manipulator using the above recipe with some nightmare fuel to create a reusable version which at the cost of sanity (Because you're frequently using magic to see the other person's memory of the land)

A magic based map created at the Prestihatitator or even shadow manipulator using the above recipe with some nightmare fuel to create a reusable version which at the cost of sanity (Because you're frequently using magic to see the other person's memory of the land)

Yeah, maybe that's the way to do it. Something created later in the game, when there's business to be done and wasting time helping people explore is just a drag. 

I think maybe at that point it should just become a shared map, rather than temporary, because at that point they're probably both pretty well explored and they just need the details.  

Yeah I thought that too... Buuuut the sanity cost makes for a lovely little penalty. I guess you could maybe remove 10 from your max sanity for every person you share a map with? I feel like continuous map sharing needs to have a pretty real cost.

@Yoyoto I don't think it needs a permanent cost like that. That would just push people to share screenshots of their map or whatever.

Mechanics that allow you to share a map in-game aren't game-changers. They don't change the nature of what you can do -- you can already share maps, it's just annoying to do. When adding quality-of-life mechanics like this, I think it's important to have the cost not feel punishing, because then the mechanic practically doesn't exist. A few in-game resources and a sanity cost are okay because those are essentially just taking time from you, which is what it would've taken to share the maps out-of-game.

@Arctus Well, I took the challenge and by the words of "hand drawn map" ,I've made my own hand drawn map. No shiet, just 'art'.

Friends of mine who (I think) are enough artistic to appreciate this piece of cake:

@MenaAthena @Dara999 @DwerBomb @Hugo M. @Palpetinus @Percival @Weirdobob 

Challenge! If you can recognize all the icons on the map, you'll get a bonus duck for free! *cough* @Munixical *cough*

@greenglacier, That Willow face :grin: All the faces, actually xD

Icons: Grass (in the savannas), trees, marsh trees, merm house, spider dens, ponds, reeds, berry bushes, tallbird egg, wormholes, pig houses. Characters are Wilson, Willow, and Wolfgang, of course.

I like the colored wormholes, a nice touch to hand-drawing it.

Edit: Yay ducks! Also bonus! Scary bonus duck video o_O

Archived