Farming makes the game lose a bit of difficulty?

J192

This is for the standard game as I don't own Reign of Giants.

----------

Crops, Honey, Trees, Twigs, Charcoal, etc., those kind of stuff. Aren't they a little too easy to mass produce?

(Improved) Farms grow crops very quickly, usually in 1-3 days. Crops are MAGNIFICENT food sources, even more if coupled with a Crock Pot. Heck, a Crock Pot, four Improved Farms, and a biome with lots of birds will feed you for the entire summer.

Yes, they require manure, something that is almost FREE thanks to Beefalo.

Yes, mating season, but they surely don't guard crap with their lives and carry them everywhere to make sure it's safe.

While twigs and grass are very hard to acquire at first, if you prototype that sweet and shiny shovel, you'll never need to leave your base for grass and twigs.

Grass needs fertilizer, you say? Read the paragraph above, you may.

Savannah biomes usually have tons of rabbit holes. This, a Crock Pot, and traps will flood you with Meatballs in BOTH summer and winter.

Oh, Krampus? Surely, you don't need 20 servings of meatballs in a single day.

Oh, look, it's your Bird Cage. Because spoilage is already very hard to manage and seeds are already very hard to acquire, right?

Having a stack of Pine Cones in your inventory will guarantee that you'll get 4-8 stacks of logs or a stack of charcoal every two days.

Taking care of the Treeguard is made easy with the pacify+burn trick, anyway.

Destroy a Beehive and take its Honeycomb. Ignore the bees, they're fat and slow.

Make a Bee Box for an infinite supply of Honey. Ignore the bees, they're fat and slow.

opinions pls

EDIT: This post used to have all words as size 8.

That's fine, I suppose.  I hope this wasn't a topic you were all that interested in hearing opinions on, though.

I actually love hearing opinions as long as they are presented constructively. Whether it agrees with me or not.

Everything makes this game easy.

I didn't build single pig house since the time they added pig heads on a sticks around swamps and touchstones. In all it gives me around 16 - 24 free pig skins, that is enough for the whole game.

I did build pig houses in early beta of DS, now they are not needed.

Crock pot makes this game damn easy, or maybe it is monster meat or just both. The problem here is tha your silk farm will fed you, you don't need other food sources. Last game I had birdcage and 5 spider dens not to far away. Now you can think that you need honey for healing and sanity, but its not needed to, green mushrooms will fix your sanity and you can just heal with spider glands, or make healing slaves from them. 

Few hounds attack and you will be able to have around 40 tooth traps, that will kill any giant or hounds wave. At this point game goes to very boring state and you can delete your world.

Yeah sure, you can farm kinda easely once you have the stuff.

But! Don't forget that fire hounds, summer sun, and giants can easely ruin everything you made.

I'm talking about the standard game.

Hounds and Deerclops are actually a nice touch. Although, rebuilding your various farms after a Democlops crushes your buildings is actually quite easy since you stockpile mass produced resources during the summer, IMO.

@_Q_: Hmm, I actually starting to think that I am actually well fed because of my Spider farm (Using pigs). The monster meat and the endless supply of honey allows me to produce tons of Honey Ham.

The thing is, Klei should prevent 300+ day worlds from being very stale and boring. Effortless farming makes the game kinda lose the "Don't Starve feeling", the feeling that you might get killed or starve to death at any moment. Sometimes, I actually get worried that I forget to harvest all the honey from the bee boxes more than I get worried from hound attacks.

I'm talking about the standard game.

Hounds and Deerclops are actually a nice touch. Although, rebuilding your various farms after a Democlops crushes your buildings is actually quite easy since you stockpile mass produced resources during the summer, IMO.

@_Q_: Hmm, I actually starting to think that I am actually well fed because of my Spider farm (Using pigs). The monster meat and the endless supply of honey allows me to produce tons of Honey Ham.

The thing is, Klei should prevent 300+ day worlds from being very stale and boring. Effortless farming makes the game kinda lose the "Don't Starve feeling", the feeling that you might get killed or starve to death at any moment. Sometimes, I actually get worried that I forget to harvest all the honey from the bee boxes more than I get worried from hound attacks.

I saw somewhere they said its not a game to play for long periods of time, and survivng over 100 days is way to long.

Default game can be interesting while you still explore and learn how things work in the game world, once you know how it all works its boring. 

Despite all that they removed some parts of the gameplay, or the need to use them.

I don't mind few free pig skins (2 - 4) but now you get 16 -24 and you don't have to kill any pigs.

Then there are the skeletons, I found mining hat near them so many times now, and amost always at the start of the game (day 2 - 6), giving good items to player just cause he can walk around is not good idea at all. Thre is many problems with the game once you know all mechanics, and lack of a late game or other things that could make things harder.

You learned the game,thats what happened and that good :)
Looking for more challenges? I have a list for u to make u thinking,how u will do it/survive...
1-Adventure mode (Unique harder worlds than usuall)
2-Reign of Giants (Trust me,u will not have time to farm materials,u will always be bothered how to survive xD)
3-Explore caves and ruins (Different mechanics down here,be careful)
4-Set a primary base at Ruins (except from the challenge,u have and some benefits by doing it)
5-Start a new world and be vegeterian restricted (u cannot eat meat or foods that they r created with meat.Extra difficulty u can go with Wes and be also hardcore vegeterian by not eating also eggs,honey and milk,like true vegeterians)

6-Set ur world always night (Willow is mandatory for this)

ROG : I never survive my second summer. I found that big bases help against giants. I always plant 20 twigs and 9 farms. Desert is usually the last thing left to be explored so I make 5 melon crops. Fashion melons for the whole summer.

A super base is almost mandatory as you will never quit it because of hound attacks.

If you find that the game is too easy, you can try to play your world without ruining it : "no-turf fuel", no structure destruction, no transplantation, no Bee Boxes/Lureplants/Spiders nests. Resources are scattered in Huge Worlds and this is what makes the game hard. I find it more enjoyable to travel between biomes and build multiple bases. My kiting skills are horrible. I only kite bosses and Tallbirds.

If you feel like using Speed runner techniques and modify heavily your world, you could try to get into ruins in your first year.

Edit : I never had a bigger base than described above. Not even Pig Houses or Bunny Hutches. I will try to make a Super Base in my new world using *Speed Running* Techniques... I want to get past those Hounds Attacks and reach a third year. :)

well the challenge in ds is knowledge... once you know how to craft everything in there and the optimal ways to collect items from your world this game start to lose his beauty, making circles with turf or a biome with honey isn't ds anymore is bullshit. Or having 700 days going to 1k and using life amulet is again bullshit because ds is not working like this nothing is working like this.

If you stuck on farming thing and buildings walls, roads of gold is time for you to move in Terraria or Minecraft, ds is not about farms and walls and ****. It's about use magic and science or being a warrior. As Maxwell says when examine some roots "Do I look like a gardener?".

If you want real feelings, just maxout all enemies and lower friendly units and source of food, and make lights out, and play Wes.

@ZnSstr: Setting aside your yammering in the first paragraph, I really don't like cheap solutions.

More enemies and less resources will not affect the fact that you can farm stuff with little effort.

Cheap solutions are bad.

e.g.

Lowering the amount of natural trees is a cheap solution. It lessens the probability of mass producing logs but it also punishes players who are exploring and it still allows the mass farming of logs

Making 'artificial' trees only have a 50% chance to drop pine cone is probably a not-so-cheap solution. It actually affects the effectiveness of mass producing logs while it also does not affect players who go into the woods for logs.

@SomePeople:

Difficulty due to less effectiveness of farming is different from difficulty due to scarce 'wild' resources.

I actually love hearing opinions as long as they are presented constructively. Whether it agrees with me or not.

I was refering to you use of small font, making the post difficult to read.  Those of us who rely on reading glasses would practically need a magnifying glass to read your post.  From the title and replies from people who could obvious read it easier than me I know you have some complaints about farming making the game easy, but because of how you presented it it is difficult for me to reply to the points you presumably are making in  your post.

Which is now fixed.  Yay!  I was never trying to say that I thought you were close minded in hearing other peoples opinions.

@ZnSstr: Setting aside your yammering in the first paragraph, I really don't like cheap solutions.

More enemies and less resources will not affect the fact that you can farm stuff with little effort.

Cheap solutions are bad.

e.g.

Lowering the amount of natural trees is a cheap solution. It lessens the probability of mass producing logs but it also punishes players who are exploring and it still allows the mass farming of logs

Making 'artificial' trees only have a 50% chance to drop pine cone is probably a not-so-cheap solution. It actually affects the effectiveness of mass producing logs while it also does not affect players who go into the woods for logs.

@SomePeople:

Difficulty due to less effectiveness of farming is different from difficulty due to scarce 'wild' resources.

Dude,did u read my post above?  :lemo:  Try it please.... ;)

This is for the standard game as I don't own Reign of Giants.

----------

Crops, Honey, Trees, Twigs, Charcoal, etc., those kind of stuff. Aren't they a little too easy to mass produce?

(Improved) Farms grow crops very quickly, usually in 1-3 days. Crops are MAGNIFICENT food sources, even more if coupled with a Crock Pot. Heck, a Crock Pot, four Improved Farms, and a biome with lots of birds will feed you for the entire summer.

Yes, they require manure, something that is almost FREE thanks to Beefalo.

Yes, mating season, but they surely don't guard crap with their lives and carry them everywhere to make sure it's safe.

While twigs and grass are very hard to acquire at first, if you prototype that sweet and shiny shovel, you'll never need to leave your base for grass and twigs.

Grass needs fertilizer, you say? Read the paragraph above, you may.

Savannah biomes usually have tons of rabbit holes. This, a Crock Pot, and traps will flood you with Meatballs in BOTH summer and winter.

Oh, Krampus? Surely, you don't need 20 servings of meatballs in a single day.

Oh, look, it's your Bird Cage. Because spoilage is already very hard to manage and seeds are already very hard to acquire, right?

Having a stack of Pine Cones in your inventory will guarantee that you'll get 4-8 stacks of logs or a stack of charcoal every two days.

Taking care of the Treeguard is made easy with the pacify+burn trick, anyway.

Destroy a Beehive and take its Honeycomb. Ignore the bees, they're fat and slow.

Make a Bee Box for an infinite supply of Honey. Ignore the bees, they're fat and slow.

opinions pls

EDIT: This post used to have all words as size 8.

Standard is alot easier than RoG. Winter is not hard at all. In RoG both summer and spring are harder than winter. Autumn is the only season like standard summer. Buy RoG if you want to play the updated version of the game which is harder

Also, just because the game with farming is too easy for the original poster, doesn't mean it is for everyone.  I'm playing RoG so I'm not in exactly the same field as he or she is, but I can say that my craptastic playing skills wouldn't make even the base game easy.  Seriously.  I die often.  So often that Wilson cringes when I start a new game.  Not everyone has the same skill set.

But there is an easy solution to your issue, J.  Simply start a game and refrain from doing any farming in it.  Just because it is a game mechanic that many people use in no way means you have to do it if it detracts from your fun.

In fact, I think that a "No farming" challenge might be kinda fun and interesting to try.  But I really wouldn't be happy if the base game where changed to exclude because someone better than I am thought that it made the game too easy.

Also, just because the game with farming is too easy for the original poster, doesn't mean it is for everyone.  I'm playing RoG so I'm not in exactly the same field as he or she is, but I can say that my craptastic playing skills wouldn't make even the base game easy.  Seriously.  I die often.  So often that Wilson cringes when I start a new game.  Not everyone has the same skill set.

But there is an easy solution to your issue, J.  Simply start a game and refrain from doing any farming in it.  Just because it is a game mechanic that many people use in no way means you have to do it if it detracts from your fun.

In fact, I think that a "No farming" challenge might be kinda fun and interesting to try.  But I really wouldn't be happy if the base game where changed to exclude because someone better than I am thought that it made the game too easy.

Once again, I said I'm playing the standard game, not ROG.

Not farming at all is a cheap solution because you will need to farm for most of your resources while an actual solution would simply be "Reduce the effectiveness of farming". I'm trying to say that farming is too easy, not that farming breaks the game.

Um...I don't find farming crops a viable option for me at all in base game so I see this argument as a little superfluous. Too little sanity gained through infrequent use of high hunger but low sanity foods and constantly have to swap out hats to compensate. I find pure jerky diet way better and easier to set up and maintain. Of course this can get problematic in caves but still I find jerky overall better.

But seriously, have you done caves and ruins? Have you finished adventure mode? Adventure mode does get pretty insane. And then after you're done, RoG is always the option cause it is significantly harder. You should definitely not be lacking in challenges.

well, it's not because the game is called "don't starve" that the main threat is starving, after 80 days anyway your base is enought to survive 'til day 9999.

If you want some difficulty go to adventure mode ;)

or buy RoG and live once again the thrill of the unknown!

Yeah, I mentioned that I knew what version of the game you were playing.

You're entitled to you opinion as much as anyone else.  My opinion is that the entire game mechanic of farming doesn't need to be rebalanced to match your concept of "not a cheap solution".

In my day 100+ world i have not used my farms more than a few times

plenty of other foods to not starve for weeks

it is just a matter of perspective i guess, if you love to hang around your base alot you would have to rely on your farms and the surplus of meats you get from either hounds or giants

But one or 2 frog rains and a few beefalo attacking them would probably get you enough frog legs to also make small jerky from and last for more than the entire spring... just to name an example

I would love to challenge myself with Adventure Mode or Ruins, but it still seems wrong that reaching Day 80+ will usually mean that you will rarely need to worry about running out of resources/foods. Isn't the game supposed to be uncompromising and cause suffering to players the longer they stay? Right now, you could live up to thousands of days as long as you keep repeating the same boring repetitive tasks (farming, specifically) every day.

I would really like to try out ROG because I keep hearing that it's very unforgiving, but wouldn't it be kinda weird that you need to pay extra for a DLC that offers the same thing (which is uncompromising survival) that the standard game is supposed to offer?

Archived