Achievements in Don't Starve?

EDIT; Warning! The following sentences are just a personal view!

Achievements are just silly ways to simulate achieve. You feel awesome for doing virtually nothing better than if they weren't there.

Don't Starve for PS4 actually has to have achievements. One of the main achievements is to build a useless thing and activate it a ridiclious amount of times. Then fireworks go off, a fancy jingle plays, you get an Chive, the character complements the whole thing, and that. is. it.

Achievements are just silly ways to simulate achieve. You feel awesome for doing virtually nothing better than if they weren't there.

Don't Starve for PS4 actually has to have achievements. One of the main achievements is to build a useless thing and activate it a ridiclious amount of times. Then fireworks go of, a fancy jingle plays, you get an Chive, the character complements the whole thing, and that. is. it.

I feel like some achievements would actually help the player learn more about the game.

But this game is meant to be explored, unlike FPS shooters, MineCraft, and so on. This games aroma comes from the unique discoveries.

I understand, but having an achievement to HINT at those discoveries, imo wouldn't take away at all.

And to be honest, some of the things in this game are so abstract and weird that I myself have had to go to the wiki just to figure out what's going on.

I understand, but having an achievement to HINT at those discoveries, imo wouldn't take away at all.

That depends on how much the hint hints, how big and/or unique the thing is, and a personal view on the matter.

As such, I think "Defeat the winter giant" takes away quite alot already:

• The biggest take-away is, that there is a winter boss.
  • It encourages focus on combat rather than food or heat.
  • People who know (or believe) for fact, that there is something about the conditions they're currently experiencing, they get panicky curious about it. That doesn't seem healthy to me.

EDIT: And to be honest, some of the things in this game are so abstract and weird that I myself have had to go to the wiki just to figure out what's going on.

That is what I mean in the last point. Looking that up temps to look up more, spoiling the whole thing.

And to be honest, some of the things in this game are so abstract and weird that I myself have had to go to the wiki just to figure out what's going on.

I agree. Is it even possible to understand DS without wiki? I mean all those recipes and all...

That depends on how much the hint hints, how big and/or unique the thing is, and a personal view on the matter.

As such, I think "Defeat the winter giant" takes away quite alot already:

• The biggest take-away is, that there is a winter boss.
  • It encourages focus on combat rather than food or heat.
  • People who know (or believe) for fact, that there is something about the conditions they're currently experiencing, they get panicky curious about it. That doesn't seem healthy to me.

That is what I mean in the last point. Looking that up temps to look up more, spoiling the whole thing.

I don't really think spoiling is bad, as long as someone does it to themselves. Because if someone doesn't want something spoiled, they simply won't look further into it.

I agree. Is it even possible to understand DS without wiki? I mean all those recipes and all...

I wouldn't say you need the wiki's for the recipes (Since they're all displayed in-game anyway) but like knowing that you can tame Glommer and things like that. I feel that you would never know a lot of things without either looking at a wiki or being incredibly brave and adventurous to just 'figure it out,' all while expecting to die.

I personally like a heavenward in games. Most achievements that are related to secrets or story related things are secret with no description, so that doesn't take anything away. Achievements are supposed to be hard to get that's why they're called achievements. I own don't starbe on pa4 and I must say the trophies are very lacking in imagination and for the majority are simply unlocked by unlocking the playable characters.

Achieve my that made me laugh the most was for pickin up a turd out of a toilet in duke nukem remake.

EDIT; Warning! The following sentences are just a personal view!

Don't Starve for PS4 actually has to have achievements. One of the main achievements is to build a useless thing and activate it a ridiclious amount of times. Then fireworks go off, a fancy jingle plays, you get an Chive, the character complements the whole thing, and that. is. it.

I thought that achievement was hilarious. It only took me like 2 hours or so to spin it the 725 times you need :p Now that I unlocked all the "official" achievements I have moved on to making up fake achievements to accomplish. Right now I'm working on crafting all the recipes, after that it will be survive for 1,000 days.

I thought that achievement was hilarious. It only took me like 2 hours or so to spin it the 725 times you need :razz: Now that I unlocked all the "official" achievements I have moved on to making up fake achievements to accomplish. Right now I'm working on crafting all the recipes, after that it will be survive for 1,000 days.

Survive for 1,000 days? You must have a lot of free time. :grin:

Can anyone here explain to me why achievement are so wanted in every game?

Achievemts are a way to reward the player without corrupting the game balance. People like to get encouraged to do something because they get something in exchange. The value can differ and is on personal preference. Take this example:

The maybe ultimate/hardest goal in Don't Starve is to defeat the Ancient Guardian. Why would you wander through caves and extremely dangerous ruins? Well, mostly for the items down there i. e. the guardians horn.

In fact this horn (houndious shootious) is quite useless. You don't really need it to survive because being able to even get that far to gather those resources, already requires a complete survival equipement in your world. So this self-shooting-eye is more an extravagant addition.

Now imagine you have to programm tons of those extravagant additions to reward players for doing difficulty things. At this point achievements come in handy.

How to reward a player who completed the 1000 days challenge? You definitely can't reward them with an item because that would force other players to survive that long too if they want to see all the content.

It's always a matter how good those achievements are. Personally for me those cut 100, 1000, 10000 trees achievements suck because you can get them with stupid and brainless grinding. But rewarding someone who killed a giant only with his fists?

I think with that examples achievements for Don't Starve are a viable option.

Just going to say that this has been suggested to death(and when I say suggested to death I mean it has been suggested many, MANY MANY TIMES) and the devs always stated that they are against achievments for Don't Starve. They only did the ones for PS3 because they were oblied by sony to do so, and even then they made one achievment to show that they don't want achievments and making fun of those 'trophy/achievement hunters'. Also this should be on the suggestions subforum.

Survive for 1,000 days? You must have a lot of free time. :grin:

I tend to get very obsessive over games, as in- Don't Starve is literally the only game I am playing right now. The game I was obsessed with prior to Don't Starve I played for 4 years (it was almost perfect for my OCD- weekly quests and difficult but accomplish-able goals. In the end the way I played was messed with so I had to ditch it) so until I find a good grind-y replacement I will be making my own weird goals for Don't Starve to keep myself entertained. It should last me a good 2 years.

I tend to get very obsessive over games, as in- Don't Starve is literally the only game I am playing right now. The game I was obsessed with prior to Don't Starve I played for 4 years (it was almost perfect for my OCD- weekly quests and difficult but accomplish-able goals.

World of Warcraft?  I was playing that myself, but took a break from it because of stability issues.  Found Don't Starve, and really have had no desire to go back.  Not say that was what you were referring to, but the weekly quests thing sounds very familiar.

World of Warcraft?  I was playing that myself, but took a break from it because of stability issues.  Found Don't Starve, and really have had no desire to go back.  Not say that was what you were referring to, but the weekly quests thing sounds very familiar.

Perhaps that could work- but don't you have to pay a monthly fee to play? At any rate, I'm pretty happy with DS, and doubt I will get bored anytime soon, which is rare for me with a game that doesn't have goals. I've been addicted for about 6 months now so we'll see.

Archived