What if there was an item that a player could craft, that would save all of their map progress onto it? It would be relatively expensive. Possibly a compass, charcoal, and some papyrus? You could then share this with other players and exchange map information with each other.

There must be some lua file within the code that saves a players map progress. This file could be copied onto an item and when a player uses the item it updates their map?

I think this is a cool idea. The ability for multiple players to go out an explore individually, then come back and share what they've found/discovered on their maps is awesome! Yes, a player could easily say "I found <blah> north of our base", but actually being able to give map info is waaay better.

+1

2 papyrus + 1 crow feather + 1 bee stinger = Map Notes

You could use this item on another player to share your current map with them. I would't think you would acquire their map, just give yours to them. You could however have them use it on you. That way if you are the host and someone joins they can gather for and craft the Map Notes and let the you use it on them for a copy of your map.

:wilson_lightbulb:

+1

I agree, it's a bit frustrating to explore the same area just after someone else. You don't find any more resource and it's not efficient for the group to survive.

To add a cost to this "shareable map" is a good idea and an other challenge !

I don't have DST so I don't know whether it is a actually problem having separate maps. It sounds like it would be good to be able to share maps and I do like the idea of being able to share maps by using a map item that can be made. I would be interested to hear from some people who do have DST regarding whether they see the need for being able to share the map.

Also, how it is implemented would need to be carefully considered to ensure that it strikes the right balance between being useful and being OP. For example, if you give me your map then my map would be updated. If I give the map straight back to you then what happens? Is your map then updated with my map? This gets worse if there are four people if it is possible to simply pass a single map around in a circle twice to update the maps for everyone. I personally wouldn't want the map to work like that so I think that a map item would need some form of 'artifical' limitation.

Perhaps the map item could simply be a consumable. If you give the map to me and I 'use' it then my map is updated but the item is used up. This is not very realistic but it may help with balancing the concept. Of course this still needs to be thought through because what is put into my map when I 'use' it. If you make the map and then give it to someone else who then gives it to me and I 'use' it then whose map is shared with me? Is it the map from the original person who made the map or is it the map of the person who gave it to me? I think that either would work but it probably would be easiest to make it the map of the person who made it. The item could be called "j0e376's Map" if you make it or "RationalLemming's Map" if I make it.

There are still other problems with the idea above such as what 'version' of the map is copied when I 'use' it? What happens if you make a map and give it to me and then we go exploring for 10 days before I 'use' your map? Is my map updated with a copy of your map at the time that you made the map? Is my map updated with your current map? The latter option does not make sense because we've been separated for 10 days but the former option seems harder to implement and may get confusing. If the map is a copy of when the map was made then should examining the map tell you how old it is? For example, I might have "j0e376's Map" and when I examine it then it says that it is 10 days old. This seems clunky though.

Overall I really like the idea. I hope that they can implement something like this if feedback from the DST testing highlights the need for a map item like this. However, I think that something like this does require a lot of thought to ensure that it fits well with the rest of the game.

I don't have DST so I don't know whether it is a actually problem having separate maps. It sounds like it would be good to be able to share maps and I do like the idea of being able to share maps by using a map item that can be made. I would be interested to hear from some people who do have DST regarding whether they see the need for being able to share the map.

Also, how it is implemented would need to be carefully considered to ensure that it strikes the right balance between being useful and being OP. For example, if you give me your map then my map would be updated. If I give the map straight back to you then what happens? Is your map then updated with my map? This gets worse if there are four people if it is possible to simply pass a single map around in a circle twice to update the maps for everyone. I personally wouldn't want the map to work like that so I think that a map item would need some form of 'artifical' limitation.

Perhaps the map item could simply be a consumable. If you give the map to me and I 'use' it then my map is updated but the item is used up. This is not very realistic but it may help with balancing the concept. Of course this still needs to be thought through because what is put into my map when I 'use' it. If you make the map and then give it to someone else who then gives it to me and I 'use' it then whose map is shared with me? Is it the map from the original person who made the map or is it the map of the person who gave it to me? I think that either would work but it probably would be easiest to make it the map of the person who made it. The item could be called "j0e376's Map" if you make it or "RationalLemming's Map" if I make it.

There are still other problems with the idea above such as what 'version' of the map is copied when I 'use' it? What happens if you make a map and give it to me and then we go exploring for 10 days before I 'use' your map? Is my map updated with a copy of your map at the time that you made the map? Is my map updated with your current map? The latter option does not make sense because we've been separated for 10 days but the former option seems harder to implement and may get confusing. If the map is a copy of when the map was made then should examining the map tell you how old it is? For example, I might have "j0e376's Map" and when I examine it then it says that it is 10 days old. This seems clunky though.

Overall I really like the idea. I hope that they can implement something like this if feedback from the DST testing highlights the need for a map item like this. However, I think that something like this does require a lot of thought to ensure that it fits well with the rest of the game.

As someone who has access and plays the Don't Starve Together Beta. I would say that there is a large need for this (which is why i made the suggestion in the first place). When players join the game they are severely disadvantaged to the host and other players as map exploration is a bit part of Don't Starve. Adding shareable maps to the game would allow new players to be quickly brought up to speed on a world that has already been explored.

My idea for the map would be that when you craft it is makes a copy of your current map exploration. It then imprints this copy onto the item. When a player uses this item their map exploration is merged with that of the items saved exploration. This process would consume the map item. This it seems would be the easiest way to prevent the item from being overpowered. Also, because it merges with a players existing exploration, it prevents players from loosing any of their map progress.

Archived