[Chat Suggestion] - Binded Phrases and Chat Wheel

I think there are a lot of phrases what we have always write to communicate.

"Make a fire."  "Give food."  "Help." "Go." "Get back." "Out of <...>"  "Follow me."  etc etc...

Sometimes you just haven't got time to write things. In combat for example.

It will be so much comfortable to just:

- Press a button what types preset text.

- Click on in-game phrases menu what types preset text

- Open chat wheel and select phrase needed.

Also It would be so nice if you can just click "examine" on item in your inventory so character will say:

"I have 5 flints."  

Or click on ingredient in item's recipe in the craft menu so char will say: "I need 6 more charcoal for crock pot."

You often play with random people so you cann't use skype or something.

Who thinks it will be useful?

I'm for quick chat responses but I don't think this examine thing is needed. I'd rather ask "have some coal for crock pot?" instead of asking devs to make a mechanic asking people for you.

I dunno, seems like it would be useful. Don't Starve is less tight on timing than Dota 2, but I found the various alt+click announcements they've added to that to be huge quality of life improvements. It'd be nice to alt-click your health globe, for example, and have it say stuff like "I'm wounded" or "I'm dying!" based on your health.

Having integrated voice chat would remove the need for it, but even with Dota 2's integrated voice chat it's still nice to have those alt+clicks. The main argument in DST against voice chat is that characters already speak in an instrument, so then they can also speak with a human voice, which messes with immersion-- I agree with that. But then it makes sense to try to build in things that help communication come closer to voice chat levels of fluidity.

Granted, I think these are all quality-of-life things that if they take much time to implement are best set to the back burner until the major bugs, caves, adventure mode, and RoG are implemented. But if it's easy to do and would only take a few programmer-minutes, then why not?

... hmmm although that made me think, I could probably write a mod for this. Guess that's a project for tomorrow.

I dunno, seems like it would be useful. Don't Starve is less tight on timing than Dota 2, but I found the various alt+click announcements they've added to that to be huge quality of life improvements. It'd be nice to alt-click your health globe, for example, and have it say stuff like "I'm wounded" or "I'm dying!" based on your health.

Having integrated voice chat would remove the need for it, but even with Dota 2's integrated voice chat it's still nice to have those alt+clicks. The main argument in DST against voice chat is that characters already speak in an instrument, so then they can also speak with a human voice, which messes with immersion-- I agree with that. But then it makes sense to try to build in things that help communication come closer to voice chat levels of fluidity.

Granted, I think these are all quality-of-life things that if they take much time to implement are best set to the back burner until the major bugs, caves, adventure mode, and RoG are implemented. But if it's easy to do and would only take a few programmer-minutes, then why not?

... hmmm although that made me think, I could probably write a mod for this. Guess that's a project for tomorrow.

We are thinking in the same way. It would be very useful mod.

Now that you explained why this should be implemented I can agree. That would be useful.

Btw rezecib I'd like Season Clock in DST. Would you be able to make it? It's already in singleplayer.

@MrNaxeros SeasonClock was on my list of mods to do (I use it in single player). I've been working on it today but I don't think it's possible to get it working until official mod support (basically what many mods need is a way to communicate between the server copy of the mod and the client copy; this would let it get at information the client doesn't normally have access to, like the season presets of the world).

Archived