So, which characters do you suppose will be added next? (Based off of complexity). I believe the next characters to be added will most likely be Wolfgang or Wes. Mostly because they don't have traits that directly affect things in ways that other characters do not. The absolute toughest character, in my opinion, would be Webber. I'm not sure if I have this right (for I am not a programmer) but I think he will be the most difficult to add based off of his AI changing abilities. Befriend spiders, have a friend kill them while you direct spiders away? Not sure how these things would work out. I love to hear your opinions on these kind of things. 

Actually, I think the most difficult character to code will be Woodie. There are many things about his implementation that don't really make sense for Together (in beaver form his "night vision" is actually a light shining down on him, and what happens when he blacks out at the end?), and others that introduce interactions that may need patching (what happens if someone else uses Lucy?).

I'm pretty sure Webber's AI stuff is handled just fine by the engine as is-- he interacts with things the same way a spider does, essentially, and the game can already handle non-player spiders.

The rest of the characters, Wendy, Wigfrid, Wolfgang, Wes, and Maxwell, are all pretty simple to add, I think.

Actually, I think the most difficult character to code will be Woodie. There are many things about his implementation that don't really make sense for Together (in beaver form his "night vision" is actually a light shining down on him, and what happens when he blacks out at the end?), and others that introduce interactions that may need patching (what happens if someone else uses Lucy?).

I'm pretty sure Webber's AI stuff is handled just fine by the engine as is-- he interacts with things the same way a spider does, essentially, and the game can already handle non-player spiders.

The rest of the characters, Wendy, Wigfrid, Wolfgang, Wes, and Maxwell, are all pretty simple to add, I think.

Now that I think of it, yes. Woody WOULD have some issues, but since the sleeping mechanic is probably going to be replaced by laying motionless in multiplayer while your sanity restores and health deteriorates, I assume they could make Woody go into a sleep state after being un-beavered. And as for Lucy, maybe they just have a MAJOR sanity drain if they pick her up if they're not the original owner? Since Lucy seems to have a consciousness, holding a talking ax would definitely take a toll on your mental state. So maybe they can't chop with her (for some reason) but they can move her around. I don't know, I don't even have a key myself, so i'm still far from familiar with the new game mechanics.  

Wolfgang is the "easier" of adding the other characters in vanilla, since Wes/Maxwell is only available in AM and that's not added yet. 

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe handling Abigail as a companion plus not as a standard ghost is the most difficult so far with converting to DST. 

I agree. Abigail and possibly Maxwell's shadow puppets will be hard to implement.

Wolfgang's transformetions are probably easy to do so. But I already see a problem as Wolfgang's max hp changes each time he is in his mighty and wimpy form which may be troublesome.

And Woodie. Oh man it will be a total chaos with him. :)

I agree. Abigail and possibly Maxwell's shadow puppets will be hard to implement.

Wolfgang's transformetions are probably easy to do so. But I already see a problem as Wolfgang's max hp changes each time he is in his mighty and wimpy form which may be troublesome.

And Woodie. Oh man it will be a total chaos with him. :-)

Nail on the head. Glad I'm not programming this. 

Woodie will probably be relatively difficult, wolfgang has a lot more information to send to other players.

Maxwell will be simple, I'm guessing the delay is mostly deciding if they want him to start with dark sword/dark armor/purple gem. It's a pretty strong start relative to other characters. His shadows have similar AI as pig followers. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Wes will be simple too.

Wendy is pretty straightforward, just need rules about how Abagail treats other players.

Wolfgang, Wendy, and Woodie.

Wes and Maxwell will have to wait...

They don't have to add the means to unlock them to add them. Normally you have to unlock Willow, Wickerbottom, and WX with experience, and they all start out unlocked right now. The same could be done for Wes and Maxwell.

Maybe the game will check if you unlocked them in singleplayer DS. It could also serve as an introduction plus excersise to the newer people playing DST (there seem to be quite a few of them right now). Maybe make the Wes setpiece a guaranteed spawn in the third world aswell so it's not luck dependant... For testing sake however all characters should be unlocked right from the start.

Also Wes needs some coding. Prevent the players playing as Wes to use chat functions! :D

Woodie is gonna be quite interesting aswell. Maybe it could be coded in a way that he cannot drop Lucy, not even when in werebeaver? (coding noob talking so yeah..)

Archived