More than 4 max players per server (Tutorial)

It doesn't make it persistent and still counts all players for the total number.

And just because you may edit the max number doesn't mean it can handle the numbers beyond 4, based on location and connection latency. 

Attempt with caution, but Klei isn't stopping this. 

I should have read this warning now I have to reinstall

Rather than replace the numbers, just add another ", { text = 5, data = 5 }" etc so you can toggle between 1 and 8 (or whatever the max is you want).

Yeah, gonna wait for Klei on this one. Something tells me there is a reason 8 players are not supported yet, and messing with files will require more file messing to fix.

I just backed the file up. I'm totally going to try this on the stream.

Rather than replace the numbers, just add another ", { text = 5, data = 5 }" etc so you can toggle between 1 and 8 (or whatever the max is you want).

I just backed the file up. I'm totally going to try this on the stream.

Yeah I know, I just figured it would be easier and have a less chance of messing up something if you just changed the number. 

• Developer

Yeah, gonna wait for Klei on this one. Something tells me there is a reason 8 players are not supported yet, and messing with files will require more file messing to fix.

It's not in as a default option right now because we're not confident that it will work and we want the experience to be as smooth as possible for 99% of players. That said, we fully encourage you folks to make these larger servers--it's something we want to support, so getting reports on issues found or experienced in these larger games sooner rather than later is perfectly welcome.

It's not in as a default option right now because we're not confident that it will work and we want the experience to be as smooth as possible for 99% of players. That said, we fully encourage you folks to make these larger servers--it's something we want to support, so getting reports on issues found or experienced in these larger games sooner rather than later is perfectly welcome.

Great to hear! I'll be sure to report if we have any issues! :D 

• Developer

is there anyway to host the server without playing? like make the server stay up 24/7 kinda thing

Dedicated servers are in the works.  These servers have improved performance and lower resource requirements.

Dedicated servers are in the works.  These servers have improved performance and lower resource requirements.

not one to judge...but why do you have so little posts, are you like a coder or something? or just new?

if you are a coder, then im glad on what you are doing. If you are new, welcome!!

Out of curiosity, how will it compare (or will it be possible) to run a dedicated server on a computer, and also run the game as a client? (I'd naively assume that would be the same resource requirement as hosting normally)

• Developer

Dedicated servers have lower resource requirements.  They don't need the sound or graphics engines, which improves performance and lowers memory requirements.

A decent (multi-core) computer 'should' be able to run both a client and a dedicated server if they so choose.

Dedicated servers have lower resource requirements.  They don't need the sound or graphics engines, which improves performance and lowers memory requirements.

A decent (multi-core) computer 'should' be able to run both a client and a dedicated server if they so choose.

Have you considered a open source version of the dedicated server software? I don't think I have to tell you all pros (and cons) for having a user driven server software.

If not, would you at least consider making the protocol public so that *we* can write our own server software without having to reverse engineer the client and packages ourself?

Not implying I would involve myself in such acts but speaking theoretically.

• Developer

We haven't discussed open source options for the server.   We use a few commercial technologies that may impede doing so- but nothing that I can think of that would be insurmountable.  It would be interesting to explore this as a possibility,  but it definitely won't be in the near future.

We haven't discussed open source options for the server.   We use a few commercial technologies that may impede doing so- but nothing that I can think of that would be insurmountable.  It would be interesting to explore this as a possibility,  but it definitely won't be in the near future.

I see, but how about a public protocol then? Things like packet numbers and the like

• Developer

I think our code / network protocol is in such flux right now that doing anything like that would be difficult.   When closed beta winds down we will evaluate the feasibility of this as part of our commitment to mod support.

I think our code / network protocol is in such flux right now that doing anything like that would be difficult.   When closed beta winds down we will evaluate the feasibility of this as part of our commitment to mod support.

Well as long as you at least consider it! Great reply :)

As a small request in the future, please do quote when you answer, it's somewhat a hassle having to manually go through all the topics to find out if you got an answer or not.

Keep up the good work guys!

Archived