A more powerfull people mover

The telelocator staff saw some minor utility in the base game, where you could teleport yourself or another entity to a specific location. In DS:T, however I think it needs a bit of a revamp.

I propose the flowing:

First and foremost, the staff should teleport not just the user, but all other players directly next to that user. This encourages players to stick together, as they can all recall to base at the same time (as opposed to one player teleporting and the others having to walk home).

Second up, now that there are more players in a world, it makes sense that they would want to set up multiple bases. With the telelocator staff currently teleporting to the nearest focus, zapping yourself home could get frustrating as you inadvertently use up the other base's gems. Instead, simply use the staff on a constructed focus to link it to that structure (the world coordinates would be stored in the staff item, and at the time of use it would check if there is a powered focus at that location).

Finally, we could look at revamping the cost to use this item a bit. Each purple gem could represent one teleport. For every player that teleports to the focus (either separately or in a group cast) one gem would be depleted. This requires players to set up multiple foci if they have a group larger than three, and let's face it what better excuse do we need to craft more of those super cool looking structures?

In summary,

1. The telelocator staff should be an AoE cast, teleporting all entities in a small radius around the target location.

2. With more than one base (and focus) in the world, using the staff on the focus links it to that location.

3. Revamp the cost. Each purple gem represents one entity teleportation. A single player can teleport three times, or a group of three can teleport once.

Why don't we wait to see caves implemented before saying how something does or does not work often gotten using a debug spawn command to get this item? If for some reason the insanely expensive ATM item is still too unbalanced by the time you can build a Shadow manipulator, then Klei can more easily rebalance it with small (not big) changes. 

Purple gems aren't easy, but they're not a nightmare to get either. The device itself is quite tricky to craft, but usually by year two or three i have the resources to make it. I feel that costing one gem per teleport as opposed to three is much more fair. It turns an item that is used once for shits and giggles into a reasonable utility item.

In terms of changing one little thing after the other, I'm not positive that is the way to go. Its better to take a step back and think through these magic items from the ground up.

Purple gems aren't easy, but they're not a nightmare to get either. The device itself is quite tricky to craft, but usually by year two or three i have the resources to make it. I feel that costing one gem per teleport as opposed to three is much more fair. It turns an item that is used once for shits and giggles into a reasonable utility item.

In terms of changing one little thing after the other, I'm not positive that is the way to go. Its better to take a step back and think through these magic items from the ground up.

Magic items in don't starve have been lacking for a while, with the exception of meat effigies and wickerbottom's books.

Nightmare fuel is kind of a pain to get, and the things you use it for aren't spectacular.

Magic items in don't starve have been lacking for a while, with the exception of meat effigies and wickerbottom's books.

Nightmare fuel is kind of a pain to get, and the things you use it for aren't spectacular.

This is getting off topic, but this is precisely the reason we need an amulet slot. A lot of the magic amulets are pretty cool, but none of them are worth the trade off of not having armor or a backpack equipped.

Imagine if we did have an amulet slot.

1. The life giving amulet is now useful to take into dangerous situations as you can still wear armor. This makes it more than just an expensive tent that converts hunger to health.

2. The chilled amulet (yes that actually is an item in the game) suddenly becomes really good, providing freeze procs on anything that attacks you.

3. The nightmare amulet is great because now you can actually wear armor and hunt shadow creatures effectively.

4. The magiluminescence is suddenly worth its cost as the only amulet item that can emit light, leaving your other slots free.

All of these items are situational or support oriented and just make sense to have a dedicated slot of their own. By taking up the chest slot, these items are never used, or even crafted at all. That is why I feel this should be a feature of the base game, and not delegated to an inventory mod.

The idea is to choose security or inventory and manage your gameplay with that choice.

SP or MP doesn't change this. if you need both, use headgear armor. 

I agree that the idea of tradeoffs between items can be a fun game mechanic. In practice, however; I feel one set of items is simply too much better than the others for the other items to even be considered as viable. You could obviously try balencing them a bit to make the desicion less clear cut, but I think the simpler solution is to retire the amulets to a suport roll on the neck slot, and look into adding more situational items to the game.

The idea is to choose security or inventory and manage your gameplay with that choice.

SP or MP doesn't change this. if you need both, use headgear armor.

The thing is, it's not about head vs chest slot, it's about what's best in slot.

Log Chest armor is cheap, renewable, and effective.

The only amulet that competes is life-saving, and especially in multiplayer, not dying > dying and coming back.

Unless I need warmth or a specialized hat, I want head armor *too* not instead of.

At no point does something like a chilling amulet come into play, because it is never a better option than cheap armor.

Archived