Possession Revisited

Okay, so a long time ago (or sometime in July), there was discussion of possessing creatures in Don't Starve Together as a ghost.  There was mixed feelings, but I wish to bring that suggestion back to the table, but perhaps in a different form.  The idea was that ghosts could possess any creature, any time they wanted to.  But perhaps there could be a different way to accomplish this.  Right now, Klei has introduced some random chance into what happens when you Haunt mobs.  It will usually cause them react (or in a certain butterfly's case, catch on fire) in  different way according to each mob.  Now, being able to possess any mob would remove the ability to do such, right?  So, what if you possess areas where mobs spawn?  For example, a ghost finds a pig village, the ghost possesses  pig house, and then a pig comes out under the ghost's control!  This limits ghosts to what they can possess, and could add a creative side to the ghost mechanics.  Say your friend goes to a pig village, and he needs an ally.  A ghost could then chip in and help out their friend in certain tasks.  But, why always use pigs?  Maybe you found a Merm house?  It could work the same way.  And if you found a Hound Mound?  Be your friend's dog?  Or maybe possess a smallbird egg?  Or a Pond? A pile of gears (or whatever you use to make chess pieces)? Or even maybe a spider nest?  As you can see, it adds a pool of balanced mobs for a ghost to control for various purposes, and, as mentioned by the devs when ghosts were announced, brings back that "this can be used for good purpose, or a bad one" situation.  So, what do you think?  Give your thoughts!

It would be cool if you could randomly get stuck in whatever you're haunting, so if you haunt a deerclops you might become it, but if you haunt a flower you might turn into that too.

Don't Starve Together - Flower Edition

Well, maybe I'm misreading you here, but you're trying to preserve haunt effects while still opening the possibility of possessing things. The problem with that approach is that spawns have haunt effects already; pig houses can be deconstructed by haunting, rabbit holes scare a rabbit out, and I'd guess the others have interactions too.

So if you want possession, you'll have to give up some haunt effects.

That being said, anything that would balance possession would probably also take most of the fun out of it, so I'm not sure this is a workable idea.

Well, maybe I'm misreading you here, but you're trying to preserve haunt effects while still opening the possibility of possessing things. The problem with that approach is that spawns have haunt effects already; pig houses can be deconstructed by haunting, rabbit holes scare a rabbit out, and I'd guess the others have interactions too.

So if you want possession, you'll have to give up some haunt effects.

That being said, anything that would balance possession would probably also take most of the fun out of it, so I'm not sure this is a workable idea.

Hmm, perhaps it could be random chance?  Say, you're trying to possess a Pig House, it might work, or it might collapse.  Same thing with the rabbit hole, you might get the rabbit to come out, or you become the rabbit.

Archived