So in normal Don't Starve, during winter I usually cuddle by the fire and when I go exploring, I carry a thermal stone around to prevent freezing for a bit more. Now, my problem with DST is that the Thermal Stone behaves like a equipped hat, it has a durability and it does mess it up as the thermal stone didn't have a durability in RoG and as I feel this is an okay thing, it prevents storing them and causes you to panic more when you freeze. I feel this is alright but even still 10 rocks is easy to get but in my playtime, we (my group of 4) ran out of rocks and flint quickly so we were slowly losing the basic infrastructure of that game (the basic tools). I feel like the thermal stone deserves a buff as to either be cheaper or remove the durability altogether. I really find this annoying but it's a bit of a frustration to be exproing and all of a sudden lose your heat stone.

Unless we have regenerating rocks like it was proposed like flint, I too have rock issues with multiple players, even when cooperative. The thermal stone and a durability just hurts this more. 

Agreed.

Obviously Klei, we need meteors to fall from the sky to give us rocks.

post-209578-0-06581900-1412648691.gif

Creating worlds with a time limit, and designing apocalypses would be so fun. With or without meteor swarms, hound packs, and why not treeguards night, red full moons, tentacles growing everywhere, pelontrix... OK, that would be too much.

It's not that big of an issue, Once caves are added in it will not be an issue at all, but I guess that depends when caves are currently planned to be implemented into DST. One thermal stone lasts me about 1 entire winter currently. 

On a side note, has it been my bad luck in world gen or are there no chess biomes / clockworks monsters in DST currently ?

It's not that big of an issue, Once caves are added in it will not be an issue at all, but I guess that depends when caves are currently planned to be implemented into DST. One thermal stone lasts me about 1 entire winter currently. 

On a side note, has it been my bad luck in world gen or are there no chess biomes / clockworks monsters in DST currently ?

None that i have seen. I guess they are not in yet because the teleportato has been taken out for now. Only way to get gears now is through graveyards.

None that i have seen. I guess they are not in yet because the teleportato has been taken out for now. Only way to get gears now is through graveyards.

That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation. This issue seems to be much more of an issue than lack of rocks, considering some things require gears to make along with WX's stat increases.

I forced some robots to spawn by setting them to "More". The rook seemed fine but the priest was invisible. There must be a lot of problems with them.

Please no apocalypse stuff. No. The answer to this dilemma should be something related to caves/ruins. Perhaps have these immature Rock Lobsters that are weak rock lobsters with no hard outer shell ability. Can farm them for the rocks needed.

Meteors currently work whilst caves are disabled because they ruin server files after trying to generate a cave. Most players have a harder time surviving in caves and with the pitiful amount of rocks spawned on my world, it would nice to have above ground resources. Meteors are long requested by the community. Eventually, caves run out of rocks too. Yes there is earthquakes, but those are not efficient. With the larger amount of players, more rocks will be used causing shortages.

Turning down the apocalypse stuff before trying it out is not what Wilson would do. Where is your inner Wilson? We don't have to have meteors, but I think they sound much better than weak rock lobsters.

Well then, that's what the Teleportato is for!

Yes, I keep seeing a number of people constantly shout for meteors meteors meteors meteors, but besides that not making sense from a lore-logical point of view, it makes the game even more stressful and unenjoyable, frankly. Good construction sites could get permanently marred by meteorites, vital life-blood buildings getting smashed apart by meteors, which will be INEVITABLE on larger maps.....

(EDIT: By that, I mean servers with high player counts. My bad...)

I agree that rocks will become a problem and that earthquakes won't quite do, but introducing a new game-shattering threat such as space rocks either also won't be enough, or will be too much.

Well then, that's what the Teleportato is for!

Yes, I keep seeing a number of people constantly shout for meteors meteors meteors meteors, but besides that not making sense from a lore-logical point of view, it makes the game even more stressful and unenjoyable, frankly. Good construction sites could get permanently marred by meteorites, vital life-blood buildings getting smashed apart by meteors, which will be INEVITABLE on larger maps.....

(EDIT: By that, I mean servers with high player counts. My bad...)

I agree that rocks will become a problem and that earthquakes won't quite do, but introducing a new game-shattering threat such as space rocks either also won't be enough, or will be too much.

I am sorry to have to inform you. *dramatic soap opera music* During the operation (beta), things didn't go as expected (almost everything). I am afraid (afraid) that the teleportato... *sniff* didn't make it. *cries*

Back in reality, I don't think players jumping into the currently missing teleportato is going to be desired. After making one base, they may not want to start all over for the sake of rocks.

What if we had "shooting stars" instead of meteors? They wouldn't target players any more than lightening, and could be more pretty and less death.

From thermal stone you changed topic to rocks shortage.

I'd say that heat stone durebility is not needed (how could it even break anyway? it's a piece of rock!).

And about meteorites I would say no. They might be cool but are too destructive in my opinion. I like Ridley's idea though.

That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation. This issue seems to be much more of an issue than lack of rocks, considering some things require gears to make along with WX's stat increases.

I debug spawned in some gears the other day and when our WX player ate them, the stat increase was pretty minimal. As in like, +6 minimal. The effects also disappeared the next time he joined our server. 

From thermal stone you changed topic to rocks shortage.

I'd say that heat stone durebility is not needed (how could it even break anyway? it's a piece of rock!).

And about meteorites I would say no. They might be cool but are too destructive in my opinion. I like Ridley's idea though.

According to Biiigfoot when I crafted one in his server, it starts to crack everytime it goes to "room temperature." With the idea that in RoG you need it for two temperature extremes, not just one, I'm not sure how that's going to work. As it is, it cracks awfully fast and if your'e not paying enough attention you won't even have it through a season. 

It was an issue, this is just my thought though. I had gotten used to the Heat/Thermal Stone being infinite so crafting it isn't easy. During winter, I technically had burned though the rocks my group had :p

@filipsperl, It's pretty complicated. It has a high threshold for heat, then a low threshold. Any time it makes a full trip past high and back down below low, it degrades. So... it got past the high threshold (really hot) as the last threshold-pass. When it falls below the low threshold, it will degrade. After that, it will degrade again if it gets above the high threshold, and then some point later falls below the low threshold again, it'll degrade.

As any veteran will tell you, and as any veteran has been more than capable of telling Klei for a very long time, the rock investment for a (temporary) Thermal Stone is a bad allocation of resources, even with meteors.   Do yourself a favor and stop worrying about them.  Get yourself a Beefalo Hat.  You don't need more than that.  If you do, make yourself a nice vest. You can free up some inventory space to run around during winter without a backpack.  Better yet, use a mod that allows you to wear a backpack and vest at the same time, because it turns out people in the real world have no difficulty wearing both at once. 

Archived