DST Stories! Spaz's Troublesome Tussles versus Nature and/or fellow Survivors!

In this very thread right here, I will share some gameplay experiences from the DST closed beta. These can be both in pvp enabled worlds and non pvp worlds. Expect walls of text, so if you're of the tl;dr mentality: RUN AWAY NOW! The first story is one of a pvp enabled world, made especially to try out PvP (it was even in the server title!). I told anyone who joined that this was my intention, and they were all fine with it. They were given some time to establish a base aswell, since everyone spawns at the same spot and it would be lame to bother people rightaway. The map mods that were edited were: more Krampus and lots of Lureplants.

I warned them of the consequences of setting foot on my island. Yet they proceeded to do so anyways. A mistake they all paid dearly for...

I have established a base near the viccinity of some ponds. They provided me with plenty of food and a scaly defence against canine and bipedal goatman alike. Life was simple but managable, with plenty of frog legs and butterfly wings. Then one day, something happened. There were other people who chose to survive on my island. They came out of nowhere and were surprisingly friendly and well mannered. How dare they?!

I communicated back to them, and told them I would give them three days. After which I would actively try to hunt them down, and end their lives. I made some weaponry to fight them with, stocked up on supplies and made a nice hat to hide myself with. I am now ready for the hunt, and bloody determined to end it quickly. Unfortunately this would not be the case...

(*Insert 30 minutes of trying to find them without any luck whatsoever here*)

After a long search, I finally found one of the invaders. It was an automaton, plucking berries and grass as if it owned the place. Au contraire, mon ennemi. I do not know what this even means, but the words just appeared into my mind. I kept my distance and studied it's behaviour. Soon to stab it with my spear. My spear did not harm the thing as much as I wanted it to (spears deal 5 damage to someone without armour), and it merely enraged the tin man...

It grabbed a spear and put on a log suit, and charged my way. Apparently this automaton isn't as clever as it may seem, since it dropped it's backpack on the ground. There must be something in that backpack of importance... It was trying so hard to keep me away from it. My devious mind tells me to lure the tin man away from it's belongings... I slowly walked away from my foe, and my plan worked: It ran to me in a straight line. Perfect. Little dodging was needed to pick up the backpack lying on the ground, begging for a new owner. It contained a lot of grass tufts, saplings, gold nuggets and silk. Nice spoils indeed.

After that, a ten minute long chase ensued because that thing was bloody determined to get it's backpack back from my cold and dead corpse. Both of us were trying very hard to achieve our goals. Mine was to escape and the tin man just wanted it's belongings back. As long as I ran in a straight or diagonal line away from it, there was no way it could catch up to me. There literally wasn't. This is what I dub: The stalemate of the tussles, two survivors walking at the same pace. This could go on for hours and days if both parties had torches and edibles to spare. A tiresome thought. There was need for something to break out of the stalemate of the tussles.

To achieve this, something is required from me: A better situational awareness then I have ever had before, paying close attention to my surroundings and my chaser. An opportunity arised. I ran to a nearby wormhole and it brought me to a forest which had a lot of spider dens. My pursuer joined me. After it exited the wormhole, I noticed two things: It was looking rather paranoid and it was hungry. Severe injuries to both the mind and stomach.

Then another idea struck me.  I intentionally walked over the spider creep so that the spiders came out and said hi, or BLERGH. I did this untill I had two spiders follow my pursuer, and started walking smaller circles and luring it to try and whack me. The tin man did, and the two spiders bit it, causing the thing to emit shouts of pain. I did this another time, and it made my pursuer attack the spiders instead of me. A silly thing to do when you're in a freakin' forest full of the critters, it soon learned!

There were about twelve of them coming at it right now, and they forced it to retreat through the wormhole (with a lack of Morgan Freeman narrating it sadly). It communicated with someone else, that it became insane! Sadly still managed to return back to it's base and recover from the insanity. I wanted to follow it and finish it off, but then I noticed: My health was rapidly dropping, I was starving! My own life was now being at danger of ending... I quickly devourered some monster meat and after that befriended a pigman and "hugged" him untill my sanity was full again. After that, fed him three more and disposed myself of the werepig. Desperate times ask for desperate measures. Even hugging one's very own food sources...

A day later it was time for retaliation. I gathered some more monster meat and walked to a little pig village inhabited by six or so of the darn things. I fed them and lead them to the culprit's (and his other henchman!) base. I was rather intimidating with my little army, but made a severe tactical mistake: attack close to dusk. My fire did not comfort them for a reason that is unknown to me (it's a known bug). They ran to a nearby pig house which emitted a dim light. The culprit was mocking me and my failed attempt to ridden myself of them. The other henchman may have gotten spooked and faded out of existence (d/c)...

They wanted peace with me, but I did not accept that. I brought back an army to kill them, but my plan failed. Or did it? Like a professional fisher, I adjusted my bait. I walked towards the remaining automaton (there were two of them!) and hit it with my spear. This provoked my nemesis and it started chasing me, ready to hit me back. I knew what to do now. I ran towards the panicing pigmen, and suddenly I stopped walking. My pursuer hit me. A grin appeared on my face. You just signed your death warrant.

It's always nice when something goes the way you want it to go. That whack was it's final mistake, something it would pay dearly for. My measly spear would merely tickle the automaton. These forces of nature however, do pack a punch. Despite being in sheer panic by the lack of sun, my army knew someone was harming me, and made very clear they did not approve of it.

It was glorious. All six of them, hitting that poor thing at the same time. It could not even keep up with it's cries of pain. Soon it no longer had to cry. I or should I say we treated him with an out of body experience. "NOOO", the apparition yelled, which I could have sworn sounded like Darth Vader in my twisted mind. My army consumed his edible spoils and pooped near his remains, mocking him even in the afterlife! It faded away to an unknown place, but at least it's gone now.

It took me about a week or so, but the island invaders have all been taken care of, one way or another. This should be a lesson for all future invaders planning on setting foot on my island and not listening to my warnings. You will be found no matter where you are hiding, and your life will be ended!

post-205351-0-12502900-1412516252_thumb.

luctor et emergo

And so, the uncouth barbarian chuckles over his spoils.

EDIT: I don't get why this post got liked by the OP.

I'll never, ever, ever, EVER understand what's supposed to be appealing about DST PvP. EVER. Read the whole thing. Was either sickened or bored. And it's not neccessarily Spaz's fault. It's just the fact that PvP seems grossly unappealing to me in DST.

So the meta of DST PvP will be who can build and maintain the largest pig army.

The rabbit fields will be the most prized and contested real estate. The main objective of a player will be to quickkly find and set on fire the enemy pig houses. The Pig Wars!

And so, the uncouth barbarian chuckles over his spoils.

EDIT: I don't get why this post got liked by the OP.

I'll never, ever, ever, EVER understand what's supposed to be appealing about DST PvP. EVER. Read the whole thing. Was either sickened or bored. And it's not neccessarily Spaz's fault. It's just the fact that PvP seems grossly unappealing to me in DST.

It is unliked now! And tbh, in it's current state it's all about kiting away till eternity. You do less damage with your weapons on other survivors so it takes a crapton of landed hits to even kill someone. It forces you to either use nature itself or not bother with it at all.

Awww man! Sounds like you had a whale of a time. Too bad the server was full, i wanted to join you guys so bad!

Also....that automaton didn't stand a "ghost" of a chance!  *insert cricket noise here*

During the chase the "trashtalking" was more fun than the actual chase, it's at the point the spider forest came into play the gameplay itself became a lot of fun. I hope it's gonna be different once the ranged weapons are usable.

Genius getting the pigs to do your dirty work for you. Can't wait to hear your next adventure.

Many thanks! I have two stories coming up, one is gonna be a PvP one whilst the other one is gonna be an actual cooperative one. Will probably start with the latter first so it's not all about them PvP shenanigans :) 

I remember you going on my server to test ghost mode. :grin:

Thanks to a pillaged spawn and a winter at hand there wasn't much else I could do :D

So the meta of DST PvP will be who can build and maintain the largest pig army.

The rabbit fields will be the most prized and contested real estate. The main objective of a player will be to quickkly find and set on fire the enemy pig houses. The Pig Wars!

Initially yes. There is however a method that can kill almost anyone with relative ease, except when they are wearing endgame gear... Something I was afraid of during the whole DST being merely an idea time. It's really overpowered. Oh and once the caves are working in DST expect armies of bunnymen, rock lobsters, cave spiders (Webber or spider hat) and clockworks! 

At least you got in. I got a key from @Clyde042 and apparently it crashes when I play online. I'm not saying it's his' fault but it could be a bug.

Try verifying the integrity of game cache, reinstall the game, restart steam, reboot PC. I didn't give you the key for the game to gather dust in your library. Key's only add the game to your library, they don't give you different versions or something.

Also Spaz, you did not slay my comrade - Pablo!

Try verifying the integrity of game cache, reinstall the game, restart steam, reboot PC. I didn't give you the key for the game to gather dust in your library. Key's only add the game to your library, they don't give you different versions or something.

Also Spaz, you did not slay my comrade - Pablo!

He already fixed it.

I had other stories planned before this one, but thought I'd share it right now. Yesterday I joined a server which had almost no rubberbanding. Great! Though it also habited three of the most rude and foul creatures I have encountered thus far. I don't know wether they were trolling or genuinely giving me middle school simulator for free.. No, will not share any screenshots or names, I have my own ways of dealing with those kind of people (as you will soon find out!). PvP was on, but apart from one whack to make one of the sods panic I did not engage in any PvP action.

Nature doesn't care that you have a big mouth and are blatantly rude , it will seize your life regardless.

Instead of staying within the safe haven that is my own island, I decided to set foot in unknown territory. I yelled out a friendly greeting, else no one else could hear me, and within seconds I got a greeting to their standards back. It seems that this island is inhabited by underaged sailors, and that they apparently wanted to engage in mating with me and my mother in a not so pleasant way. Words however do not hurt me, a distinctive lack of flint does! I searched around the surrounding area but there was nothing. It all got pillaged by those creatures. Luckily there were some grass and saplings growing, so I could at least make a torch and make it through the night.

I am determined to prevail in this harsh environment. The next day looking for flint and a potential place to set up a camp. I do not feel the urge to look for the creatures. Knowing their kind they would just group up and end my life, only to mock me in the afterlife. I found some berries grass and twigs along the way to a field full of boulders, or at least that was what I was hoping for to find. There is nothing left here! If they really gotten all the flint it's looking rather crappy for me. But pessimism soon turned into optimism again as there was flint lying around just a bit more to the west! Time to cut some trees and mine some boulders.

Ever got the feeling of being alone despite having other people around you? Well, that pretty much sets the tone. Add in some rain for dramatic effect. And occasional trashtalk. The next morning I decide to explore whatever it is lies to the east of the boulder field that lacked boulders. It was there I found one of the (summer) base locations I like the most: About six or so ponds in close proximity to each other. They provide food and security, and a whole lot of frog noise! I make a firepit and place some traps near the ponds, to hopefully get a lot of that stereotypical French delicacy. Conveniently, there are berry bushes and a savannah in close proximity! A science machine soon is build.

The creatures got more quiet now, maybe something is wrong? If so, GOOD! For a few days, all that is done during the day is collecting food and resources so that eventually my base can expand and become even better. Food, grass, twigs and logs are abundant. The plan now is to make some bee boxes, sadly I lack silk. Time for some more exploring... At least I was planning to. Something happened... Apparently, one of the creatures died to some kind of elephant creature. Now that is a nice morale boost. It seems trashtalkers aren't really capable of surviving here. It yelled to the other creatures to "HELP ME GET BACK TO LIFE FFS".

Surely the day could be spend laughing, but there's still some potential silk source out there that has my name on it. One would soon be found, but not before finding an eyebone! I'm quite happy I managed to save Chester from those creatures. I found some yellow spider sleeping on a carpet and decided to give it a whack. It soon got company from 3 more who suddenly poofed into existance. They however did not see my traps coming, heck some of them even jumped right into 'em! Silk get. Now to get back to my base to produce a bug net, but it was too late... 

It has gotten more cold on the island, and bees and frogs alike stopped showing themselves. I did not even craft any braces for myself yet! With just my facial hair as heat source, at this point it would seem my chances of survival are rapidly dwindling down. But I wasn't even in that bad of a spot, just yet.

Meanwhile one of the dead creatures got resurrected, and wanted to get their revenge on the elephant creature. It failed miserably however, and apparently got killed by the same creature once again. Spouting sailor language, it once again needed the aid of another creature. It did not reach them, however. Another creature soon stopped it's rude life due to starvation. There is now only one of them left, and it was the chosen one! It had to seek out some ways of resurrecting both of it's fellow ruders. Apparently not enough life to spare, it seeked out a touch stone. It was then I finally gotten face to face with one of them...

It was wearing a garland and sported a big beard. It decided to walk through my camp. But was I supposed to bear all their insults that easily? No. If they were not as hostile as they were, I had the resources to fabricate two hearts and heal the wounds it would inflict on myself. However, I will not take it's life. It is however in for some suffering. I ran towards the thing, whacked it once and chased it away to a place north west of my base. The initial whack was enough of a means to scare him away.

Now, there was an actual reason to chase it to the north west of my base. When you're in a hostile environment, it is of utmost importance that you do not share valuable information with your enemies. One of which was my base location for example. Anyhow, it soon found out why we were going on a hostile stroll to the north west. We were gonna visit a friend of mine, one that has just moved in with his son and canines.

They greeted the rude one with blowdarts and canine hugs. Not surprisingly, it did not last long. My friend was most likely enjoying his dart dispensing and tried to give me some blowdarts aswell. I politely declined the offer and made it back to my base. I did manage to take the garland with me, and it was soon ritually burned in my fire. Besides my base location and my friend's whereabouts, there was another piece of vital information I did not share: There was a means of resurrection somewhere to the south of my bipedal walrus friend. I doubt they will find it though, they don't seem to be a bright bunch after all.

After all these shenanigans, everything became dark and I noticed I no longer was on their island. I'm sure they are still haunting it untill this very day, spouting insults wherever they go....

My only small complaint about beta keys, is that there is an experience such as the one above that I am missing out on. With absolutely no option of joining other than waiting. So wait I will. sooooooon.... right?

(And yes I understand that the beta keys is necessary, im not saying Klei did anything wrong)

Archived