Make playing in ghost form more fun/useful

So I played a ghost for some time and its not that fun to be a ghost. You can haunt things for some effects, like flowers change to evil flowers, you can scare gobbler form berry bush or just set everything on fire, you don't know what will happen when you haunt something. You don't uncover the map in ghost form it would be good if we could uncover the map in that form at least during the day or something.

I think character ghosts should have some special abilities just like characters have now, so you can help your team a little more in a ghost form. So some special ability you can use from time to time for certain effect would be cool.

What if when you are a ghost, you could haunt players? Haunting a player might result in you and the player fusing, making the other player stronger, or glow in the dark, but some random times it will also hurt that player's sanity? (To balance a bit)

The most useful thing that I've been able to do as a ghost is switch mushrooms to a different color, which is arguably a pretty nice ability.

There are a couple directions they could go with ghosts.

1) Allow consumables to restore health lost through death (expensive)

2) Allow some way for ghosts to still contribute to the team's success.  Maybe an item that gives the ghost capabilities like Abigail? Pain aura, ability to scout on the map, stalled humanity loss, and on "ghost death" reversion to the ghost we have now?

You could keep the ability to haunt things, for the few cases where it's beneficial.

You could keep the ability to haunt things, for the few cases where it's beneficial.

I like the current haunt ability. There should be some variety in what happens when you haunt animals or vegetation, but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to killerize a bee and set stuff on fire.

You're still a ghost, not a fairy godmother.

I agree that the map should be revealed to some extent... perhaps it could mimic the way Woodie reveals the map as a Werebeaver. Meaning, as a ghost, you don't get to see the map and/or where you're exploring, but once you revive, those areas are revealed.

I disagree though that the ghost form should be more useful. The point of the ghost form is to give people a way to not be perma-dead right away, allowing the "Together" aspect to remain true for a little while longer. Turning it into something fun or with added quirks or perks makes this less about "uncompromising survival" and more like an RPG. You died, and this unengaged and rather boring form is your punishment. It's also your teammates punishment, as they've now lost a valuable player and no one prepared a way to help you resurrect. Learn from this mistake and try not to repeat it *wink*

I agree that the map should be revealed to some extent... perhaps it could mimic the way Woodie reveals the map as a Werebeaver. Meaning, as a ghost, you don't get to see the map and/or where you're exploring, but once you revive, those areas are revealed.

I disagree though that the ghost form should be more useful. The point of the ghost form is to give people a way to not be perma-dead right away, allowing the "Together" aspect to remain true for a little while longer. Turning it into something fun or with added quirks or perks makes this less about "uncompromising survival" and more like an RPG. You died, and this unengaged and rather boring form is your punishment. It's also your teammates punishment, as they've now lost a valuable player and no one prepared a way to help you resurrect. Learn from this mistake and try not to repeat it *wink*

I would say the same but in much more primitive form. :D

I think the current ghosts abilities are good enough. You should be glad you can haunt stuff because after dying the only thing you should do is to annoy your friends to revive you.

• Developer

Agree with Speedbuff. Slowing down on Spiderwebs is hopefully a bug. 

It is indeed a bug! I meant to chime in with this elsewhere, but I don't think I remembered to... I do want to increase the ghost speed a bit, but I also have to be careful to not make them so fast that being a ghost is beneficial for exploration (even with map reveal turned off).

It is indeed a bug! I meant to chime in with this elsewhere, but I don't think I remembered to... I do want to increase the ghost speed a bit, but I also have to be careful to not make them so fast that being a ghost is beneficial for exploration (even with map reveal turned off).

Can't have any ghosts accidentally moving so fast they ascend to the heavens now. 

nyooOooOoom

What about getting stuck on the spiderwebbs as a few bug reports have noted? 

Perhaps a good counter balance to speeding up the ghost could be to deny it acces to the map by pressing tab, a bit like Woody in werebeaver ? I sort of think it's awkward that a ghost has access to a map anyway... It would make it a bit harder and riskier to explore parts of the map you haven't explored so far, because you could get lost and even if you find something nice, you have to remember where it is if you want to find it again instead of just looking at the map. Just a thought.

Perhaps a good counter balance to speeding up the ghost could be to deny it acces to the map by pressing tab, a bit like Woody in werebeaver ? I sort of think it's awkward that a ghost has access to a map anyway... It would make it a bit harder and riskier to explore parts of the map you haven't explored so far, because you could get lost and even if you find something nice, you have to remember where it is if you want to find it again instead of just looking at the map. Just a thought.

I figured you had access to the map (but didn't add anything new to it) as it was basically your character remembering where things were from their lives. Maybe Ghostvision™ is all weird and distorted and that's why new pieces of the map don't get filled out. 

Archived