What Was Your First Death?

I actually have my first death on video. Before playing the game I had read a bunch of stuff on the wiki and watch some of an early stage playthrough so I kinda new what I was doing. 

If you want you can skip to the fifteen minute mark to avoid as much of my annoying, high pitched voice as you can. If you do, to clarify I was looking for what I could make with hounds teeth. 

hey look a big black ball

DEAR GOD ITS A MOVING EYEBALL

Hey! It wants to be frie- OW!

STOP! RUN AWAY!

WHY IS IT RUNNING FASTER THAN MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*peck*

Also, Mena's voice is incredibly similar to that of Death.

hey look a big black ball

DEAR GOD ITS A MOVING EYEBALL

Hey! It wants to be frie- OW!

STOP! RUN AWAY!

WHY IS IT RUNNING FASTER THAN MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*peck*

Also, Mena's voice is incredibly similar to that of Death.

*hides scythe behind back*

I'm totally not the embodiment of death itself if that's what you're getting at.

*nervous laugh*

Darkness + stupidity, first night of first game.

I lit my torch way before nightfall cause I was in the forest and it's darker there. When my torch was nearly out, I tried to build a new one, but was 1 grass short. There was one nearby so I figured on grabbing it just before I need it, make a new torch. Good to go.

That was not the case. I made it to the area as my light went out. Pressing space bar cause I thought it would auto grab it. Apparently there was a bunch of twigs and flowers in the area as well. Once I finally got the last grass I needed I was attacked while crafting it! Death!

Because I saw some videos of the game before buying it, I knew how to stay alive.

But not how to deal with monsters. My screenshots tell me my first death was in a swamp.. so I guess I died because of tentacles.

And after that: hounds. Often.

*Day 8*

Chop chop chop, I am Wilson, chopper of trees... (dang why do I need so much wood in this game)
Huh?? Is that a tree uprooting itself? Why is it comming towards me? Why is it lifting it's arms?

-blerg-

I had seen some videos of don't starve before I played it myself, so I knew the basics. I was doing fine (although I remember I found it difficult not to starve, hah, I was such a noob back then) when I decided to actually explore the map. Everything went fine, I even had resources for a campfire that night, but then I hit a swamp. Not knowing the dangers, I saw a few merms get demolished by a tentacle. Free frog legs and fish, nice! I walked on, and saw a farm. Even better! I guess I'll set my camp up here (still in the middle of the swamp). Well, I've still got some time left before nightfall. Might as well try to kill that tentacle from before, it must be hurt, and the tentacle spike (somehow I knew what it was back then) could be useful.

You can figure what happened next.

Charlie.  I knew almost nothing about the game when I bought it other than the title and that it was a wilderness survival game.  I figured out that I had to eat berries and carrots, and thought that I had this very simple game all figured out.  She set me straight on that matter as soon as night fell, of course.

Nowadays, mostly hounds.  Often.  But since I got some advice on these forums about that matter,  I hope that this turns around.

Archived