How do they know if you registered multiple times?

MAC addresses would be the way to identify lower than subnets (e.g. your wifi network), but those aren't sent out beyond the subnet, so I'm curious about this too, as my boyfriend and I both registered from the same network.

There actually are several other countermeasures to this kind of exploit, none of which work 100% of the time.

First, if you said you had a forum account, they can run an internal check to see if your data matches the existing one. But you may not have used the same address or name, so that sucks.

Second, they may check whether or not your mail provider is "reliable", discarding services like mailinator. But what do you know, maybe you used a temporary address to remain anonymous, not to register multiple times. That's not a particularly smart move (it takes no time to register an actual account), but you never know.

Third, you may run a human-revisioned check on those IPs and MACs that filled in multiple forms, checking if the all the addresses are both believable and distinct enough. But, even given the best case scenario, humans are humans, and humans err.

Fourth, magic, psychic powers or voodoo could be involved in this. Remember: it's Klei we're talking about.

Anyway, let's all set aside our greed and hope nobody got unfairly kicked out.

Preventive Measurements don't mean Prevention. I seriously doubt it's hard to bypass their security, or that their protection is that advanced without hurting legitimate players.

For example, I have multiple google accounts, which are NOT signed by the same name, that are registered from a variety of different computers. if I register one of each through different computers utilizing the library, school network and a couple of friends I have a hard time seeing how they are suppose to figure out that they each belong to the same person.

I haven't seen anyone actually preventing multiple email accounts successfully. It's like DRM, it's a fistfull of empty words, it's NOT going to prevent anyone that REALLY do want to gain access to the game.

Not that this is relevant for me, due to not even signing up.

This is one of those things where I cannot say what is and what isn't publicly shared for security reasons without checking first.

I know @JoeW has multiple methods for detecting multiple accounts, but only he can decide what can be shared and explained, so i'll leave it at that for now. (And it pains me not being able to be completely open but I'm sure you understand why.) 

Calm your (EDIT: are they really a swear word? seriously? every innocent child grows up loving them!) everybody (me included), I got fresh news.

And even if every single person who registered signed up multiple times, they are still being counted as 1 registration. 

We are doing what we can to make sure the keys that go out through the beta registration are distributed as fairly as possible.

I don't think we liked the same games neccessarily so, maybe we're good there. Also we all own a copy of Don't Starve and Reign of Giants specifically for DST.  In any case, I'll just let them have my friend code if I get one and vice versa.

I don't think we liked the same games neccessarily so, maybe we're good there. Also we all own a copy of Don't Starve and Reign of Giants specifically for DST.  In any case, I'll just let them have my friend code if I get one and vice versa.

That sounds like a good idea.

I've got a question, is there any way I can attach my klei account to a beta registration? I had never gotten to making an account before just now.

Share the same email address for your forum and game beta registration.

When you are selected to the beta, if linking is an issue, it will let you know then. Best to have all the correspondence in the same place. 

Share the same email address for your forum and game beta registration.

When you are selected to the beta, if linking is an issue, it will let you know then. Best to have all the correspondence in the same place. 

Yeah, same email with both, but I just realized it might have given me better chances if I had linked them.

Problem with that is I hadn't made a klei account until after I had registered

Archived