Don't Freeze Together? [Poll]

Don't Freeze Together?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want huddling for warmth to be a feature of multiplayer?

• YEAH!!! LET'S SNUGGLE!!!!!
    • No. I'm not the hugging type...and you smell like sweat.

With clipping and overlap, I'd hate for there to be a "proximity" problem to this working. Saying "no" for now.

The issues could be solved by doing something similar to standing under/near trees for rain/heat protection. 

As for the sweat:

Emotes could also include a character saying "Who smells?"

I don't believe this would be a very effective feature to add, as having two people run side byside close enough seems difficult/inefficient/suboptimal(for gathering) and the impact it could have on freezing time should be negligible at most like about as effective as two people without a fire in the dead of winter hugging for warmth(useless right?).

I think that realistically, it wouldn't do too much. However, I can imagine this being more effective by, say, giving a sanity boost when you're nearby another player, with a bigger boost if you and the other player(s) are standing by a fire at night? Something like that. Having companionship DOES do a lot for one's sanity. Just look at Woodie and Lucy =D

EDIT: As an afterthought, when you spend too much time with a friend, you often start to hate their guts a little. Maybe you get a boost when around someone else, but when you're too close for too long, it starts to drain your health/sanity?

The issues could be solved by doing something similar to standing under/near trees for rain/heat protection. 

As for the sweat:

Emotes could also include a character saying "Who smells?"

I suggested that to SethR already, about the "share umbrella" idea. These things would be really nice co-operation features, but for an extreme most of 64 players, the calculations, and consequental lag, would be horrendous.

No, this would not add anything of value to don't starve.

There's already an excellent mechanic in place to prevent freezing when stationary.

It's called a campfire, and it's one of the cheapest things to make already.

burning everything in your path while you take a stroll during winter completely undressed is even cheaper...

Mmm, this has been discussed before and with the constant moving, it would cause lag.

I think that realistically, it wouldn't do too much. However, I can imagine this being more effective by, say, giving a sanity boost when you're nearby another player, with a bigger boost if you and the other player(s) are standing by a fire at night? Something like that. Having companionship DOES do a lot for one's sanity. Just look at Woodie and Lucy =D

EDIT: As an afterthought, when you spend too much time with a friend, you often start to hate their guts a little. Maybe you get a boost when around someone else, but when you're too close for too long, it starts to drain your health/sanity?

To solve the lag problem, both with the umbrella and the huddling the warmth thing, I think making the proximity detector only work when standing still would solve that problem, maybe give it a few seconds where you have to be standing still long enough for it to activate so it's not going on and off all the time? Would that be a solution or would there still be a lag problem?

Also, I like the idea of a sanity boost when standing around a campfire better than using it for warmth. It would encourage co-op and sticking together.

Archived