Lose Condition?

My apologies if this has been said, but how do you lose DST?

Don't Starve is actually a game about getting a high score then dying. It's about death, really. You can modify the world so it's easier (or harder!) and manipulate other things, but the spirit of the game is about survival with no goal other than 'until you die'. I personally find this charming.

Anyway, I don't fully have a grasp on what happens on death or what the lose condition is in DST. Currently, if you lose your hp you turn into a ghost. If you run out of ghost energy, or whatever it's called, you "die", you can avoid by various resurrect features and prolong your ghost life by haunting things. But what happens when you die? Can you just restart a new character? Do you relog and start fresh?

Can someone set me straight?

My apologies if this has been said, but how do you lose DST?

Don't Starve is actually a game about getting a high score then dying. It's about death, really. You can modify the world so it's easier (or harder!) and manipulate other things, but the spirit of the game is about survival with no goal other than 'until you die'. I personally find this charming.

Anyway, I don't fully have a grasp on what happens on death or what the lose condition is in DST. Currently, if you lose your hp you turn into a ghost. If you run out of ghost energy, or whatever it's called, you "die", you can avoid by various resurrect features and prolong your ghost life by haunting things. But what happens when you die? Can you just restart a new character? Do you relog and start fresh?

Can someone set me straight?

As of Thursday's Twitch Stream, as either another mode or an outright replacement to Death and Ghosts, when you die, instead of doing the Ghost mechanic, you come back immediately, but everybody including the player loses around 20% of their total health similar to how a built meat effigy works.

If the same player dies three times ( or maybe 1 more,) the server world ends. That's it. 

I'm sure you can see why this is done to prevent PvP griefing and how it can potentially be used as end-game griefing.

But until we start playtesting, that's all we know.  

Thanks for the replies. I enjoy the fact that there is a good ol' fashioned lose condition in this game. What you guys have said as potential workings makes more sense than what I had in mind.

I'm sure you can see why this is done to prevent PvP griefing and how it can potentially be used as end-game griefing.

What's to prevent me from just suiciding over and over to end a world?

I sort of hope they find a way to work in ghost as a downed state because I like the idea. The notion that you can sustain yourself as a ghost by haunting objects (which if I remember had a fairly regular chance of inducing an ill effect of some sort) but the longer you maintain that form the worse your world becomes is a solid one.

A downside to the 3 deaths rule is the fact that one person could have not died at all and they still lose. Not necessarily a huge issue, but something to consider. Another thing to think about is that it should be on death instead of on revival because you'll run into a situation where you have already used 3 revivals and someone dies, but the group doesn't want to restart, so that person is just left out; it might be better to put a hard reset on the 4th death (3 revivals total).

Thanks for the replies. I enjoy the fact that there is a good ol' fashioned lose condition in this game. What you guys have said as potential workings makes more sense than what I had in mind.

What's to prevent me from just suiciding over and over to end a world?

I sort of hope they find a way to work in ghost as a downed state because I like the idea. The notion that you can sustain yourself as a ghost by haunting objects (which if I remember had a fairly regular chance of inducing an ill effect of some sort) but the longer you maintain that form the worse your world becomes is a solid one.

A downside to the 3 deaths rule is the fact that one person could have not died at all and they still lose. Not necessarily a huge issue, but something to consider. Another thing to think about is that it should be on death instead of on revival because you'll run into a situation where you have already used 3 revivals and someone dies, but the group doesn't want to restart, so that person is just left out; it might be better to put a hard reset on the 4th death (3 revivals total).

Unfortunately, I too share your concerns but must want until we have more info. 

Knowing Klei is legendary in their feedback, at least if something is game breaking, I have faith they will address and fix it. 

In my opinion, DST shouldn't be a constant map like in Minecraft or something, you should be playing for a few hours with friends and then the world slowly dies.

An interesting idea, I'd like to see that as a mod or something similar. But I don't think most people would like playing that way.

As of Thursday's Twitch Stream, as either another mode or an outright replacement to Death and Ghosts, when you die, instead of doing the Ghost mechanic, you come back immediately, but everybody including the player loses around 20% of their total health similar to how a built meat effigy works.

If the same player dies three times ( or maybe 1 more,) the server world ends. That's it. 

But until we start playtesting, that's all we know.  

Actually that "ghost mechanic" is there but when you revive yourself from meat effigy or touchstone (or that telltellhearth?) you and everyone else loose third of your health

At least this is what i remember .)

I believe this is the gist of what they're trying to tackle in DST

i was recently pondering the server lose condition and realized that without the current permadeath penalty 1/3 max hp to all server players and 3 permadeaths= server death, then DST really didn't have a total loss condition. with the last ghost mechanic(which they removed) it seemed dying players would beable to create new characters to salvage their items and essentially return to life leaving the game no means to an end.

consider that the permadeath penalty aren't so much hardcore as it is closer to vanilla don't starve philosophy, and that a lenient permadeath system that allowed for the server to stay after repeated perma-deaths would be way more softcore than vanilla don't starve philosophy

I believe this is the gist of what they're trying to tackle in DST

i was recently pondering the server lose condition and realized that without the current permadeath penalty 1/3 max hp to all server players and 3 permadeaths= server death, then DST really didn't have a total loss condition. with the last ghost mechanic(which they removed) it seemed dying players would beable to create new characters to salvage their items and essentially return to life leaving the game no means to an end.

consider that the permadeath penalty aren't so much hardcore as it is closer to vanilla don't starve philosophy, and that a lenient permadeath system that allowed for the server to stay after repeated perma-deaths would be way more softcore than vanilla don't starve philosophy

Yeah, it's much more like the original game. But dying, clicking a button and losing a bit of max health is a lot less interesting to me. I hope they'll at least give me the option.

Archived