summer problems

Summer is still a nightmare to sit through, most people turn it off due to how harsh it is! I mean theres only 2 items that really work the ice cube and ice amulet and both are a pain to sustain.

The other clothes do nothing but delay overheating for a few mins! Im wearing everything I can to stop overheating but im still overheating!

Caves offer no protection wheres the logic in that?

Winter gives you a fair chance and the items work why cant they add something to make summer work?

They add wetness but dont allow you to collect water for winter or fires? Flingomatic is useless a sprinkler would of been better.

Theres ponds yet they wont help you in summer :/

They really need to add some more items or buff the ones we have. I can't do **** in summer but hang around my base near a cold fire and put out fires that will burn my base.....

Im no noob either I own both steam and gog versions with characters over 400 days!

Summer is no fun, summer is not healthy for the world, it burns it down where ever you stand unless you hide in the caves!

I know they are working on multiplayer but fix this asap.

Summer is somehow hard at the first times on rog, but theres is a lot of way to deal with it, the combination that i use and always works is, floral shirt + eyebrella or umbrella + 2 heat stones and you can stay out of your base all day long, if you can't pass through summer means that you are doing something wrong, try to start at autumn to see if it works for you, you gonna have more time to get prepared, but even starting at spring you have a lot of time to do everything to prepare yourself to summer, i have started a game with wifgrid on spring around 5 days ago and so far i'm at second summer and no even a single problem about that, and she can't even eat ice.

Btw use your blue gems to build ice staff and use it to extinguish fire that aren't in the range of ice fligo~~ instead of be doing ice amulet because they really don't help too much.

Im using the summer vest pig umbrella straw hat and 1 stone and I overheat a few screens away from my base, its pathetic!.

So do stones stack then? 2 cold stones double cool length?

Thing about ice staff is that you need blue gems and they are rare. Not only that it will run out eventually and my base will burn either way.

I mean why make summer so harsh? If im walking around near a forest it could catch fire and destroy anything nice inside it such as pigs or catcoons...

So to be safe I try stay in the caves but guess what? In all the shade, you overheat!!!!! Wtf? Come on....

Like winter, you need a combination of items to survive properly. Thermal stones don't work alone as doesn't clothing by itself. Eyebrellas are the best as they work for two seasons and can be sewn for 5 day's durability back, but other things like Summer Frests and Floral shirts with thermal stones work well also. Also an umbrella can be added to all the above if you need a little extra boost between running  under trees with this gear.

The catch as mentioned before is to collect and craft with Nitre Ice and gears your items before summer like you did for gold rocks and wool with  winter. You should have an ice box, ice fling o matic endothermic fire pit(s) and at least 2 stacks of ice stored in your ice box (or more) before summer begins as well as the excess of burnables for running the fling/endothermal pits. Glommer goop/fertilizer stockpiling helps as well. 

ironically the ice cube and amulet are really "last resort" items to be used if you are seriously overheating and not having any of the before items mentioned (including a melon hat.) Amulet aside, the wetness cost is just not worth it anyway when you can use the ice for (besides the Fling O Matic) ice Cream and melonsicles instead.   

Im using the summer vest pig umbrella straw hat and 1 stone and I overheat a few screens away from my base, its pathetic!.

So do stones stack then? 2 cold stones double cool length?

Thing about ice staff is that you need blue gems and they are rare. Not only that it will run out eventually and my base will burn either way.

I mean why make summer so harsh? If im walking around near a forest it could catch fire and destroy anything nice inside it such as pigs or catcoons...

So to be safe I try stay in the caves but guess what? In all the shade, you overheat!!!!! Wtf? Come on....

Go to the config game and set the summer to small and autumn to long, start a new game there and try to prepare yourself better, make one straw hat, one umbrella, 2 heat stones and 1 floral shirt, as for your base, build 1 or 2 ice fligomatic machine, and 2 ice box to store food/ice and cold you heat stones, with that is more than enough to your survive and pass the summer, will be your first summer and if you don't have the eyebrella you will won't be able to go far away from your base unless you have some nitre to make endothermic fire. With a small summer you gonna have time at least to understand how it works and it's not that hard as you say it is although it's  boring and annoying sometimes, you just can't trust to make some tasks on summer that you do entire year, don't pass near of resources that you don't want to burn like pig villages, great forest and etc unless you have a ice staff ( it's really easy to have 2 stacks + of ice gens after day 300), you need about 20 logs to fuel the ice machine for 15 days that means a normal summer, so it's not a enormous amount of fuel, the summer is somehow boring because you can't explore and normal tasks unless you are prepared to extinguish fire near of you, but if you want to skip that and if you have a good amount of food stored on your base, build some Siesta Lean-to and skip the days, if you have sucess and don't want your game to be "easy" make a new game with normal configs and try again to see if it works, just remeber the order of items, what is better to summer what give more protection against overheating:

eyebrella > floral shirt > summer frest > umbrella > heat stones, straw hat | pretty parasol.

and the items that actually makes you colder at cost of something:

Siesta Lean-to| luxury fan > endo fire > ice cube | child amulet > fashion melon > foods.

It may just be me, but i do not think you are intended to be able to go more than a few screens away from base during summer - or at least make it difficult to. I often setup waypoints on my map with endo fire pits so I do not have to keep wasting nitre, but this is a luxury that is really not needed. Heat stone and eyebrella are more than enough for me at least, with a prebuilt endo fire in my pocket.

Do you have a "summer base", or are you trying to inhabit your normal base during the summer?  In my opinion it's best to build a summer base in an area that does not have much flammables, but does have other things to do - mosaic biome, or desert biome, for instance.  Depending on how big your main base it is, it may take a ton of flingers to cover it all, and I hate having to keep them fuelded.   I build one flinger for my summer base which covers farms, grass, saplings, and a few chests. Pack it in as tight as you can.

I use the eyebrella and a thermal stone, and that gets me through what I need to in most cases.  If I set up in the mosaic biome, initially my project for the summer is mining it out.  Then the project becomes getting all the rocky turf and turning it into cobblestones.  This should occupy a couple summers at least.   Once you've used up all that stuff, the base is still good for caving in the mosaic cave.

After the rocks and turf are used up, your next summer base can be in the desert.  The project; mine all the rocks and bones, maybe farm hounds.   And of course farm tumbleweeds!   I also grab all the spiky bushes, and plant them in the vicinity of the summer base for emergency twigs.  They never wither, and I've never seem one spontaneously catch fire.   If nothing else they're good flinger/fire fuel.   You'll probably have two deserts, so this project will probably last two to three summers, and the tumbleweed farming can go on forever.  Nothing quite like the christmas-joy of finding a lawn gnome in a tumbleweed!

After the mosaic and desert biomes are fully exploited in 4+ years, well, you'll probably be getting bored with the world anyway.   If you have a tallfort in your mosaic biomes you can also spend the last several days of summer building up a huge jerky stock to take with you caving in fall.  You can even set up a summer base in the savanna specifically to exploit the beefalo herd for the same purpose.  Don't bother trying to protect every single drying rack with a flinger.  Just build them far apart enough that fire won't spread.   You have a good chance of catching them smoldering to put them out, and they're not that terribly expensive to replace anyway.  In the desert you can farm goats for horns, since you'll probably have quite a bit of G'Goose down by then.    There's honestly plenty to do in the summer, just stay away from forests when you can, and unprotected pig/rabbit villages.

I run around in summer with a straw hat, summer shirt (the one made with Cactus flowers) but also have the other as a backup. I have 2 thermal stones, 1 always in the icebox and I never have a problem with overheating. I can go all day exploring to my hearts content! I usually only swap stones if I'm at my base before the start of the new day. Or if I've switched out to armor for a fight. Keep in mind, you need to already be cooled down for any clothing to be effective, like winter clothing keeping the heat in, summer clothing keeps the coolness in.

The fires aren't that bad if your prepared. With a flinger and 2 chests full of logs (won't need that many) you should be set. I have 6 located around my base and never have a problem keeping them fueled. If your not big on the flingers, carry rot with you to put out any smoldering objects. You just need to pay attention and listen. Summer sound is somewhat muted but it should be easy to hear something smoldering. Rotate the screen until you find it then use the rot to put it out!

It might take you a little while to get used to summer and their mechanics but once you do, it won't be a problem at all. Think back to when you first experienced Winter, how hard it was to get stuff done. By now, I'm sure your a pro! Same thing will happen with summer.

Archived