Does anyone here finding RoG a lot more difficult to play? Or I'm just a noob :P

Karnkate

My 700 days of survival in the original version is nothing.

I can't get past 60 days in the RoG version yet.

First try (35days)- Deerclops smashed my base and I'm frozen to death.

Second try (60days)-Summer burns all of my stuff.

Third try (37days)- Deerclops again. This time killed all of my Beefalos in existence (RIP). This one is the most frustrating because I got Ice Flingomatic, racks, and everything ready already :(

On the plus side.... at least I have lots of EXP to unlock characters :(.

The new content definitely makes it harder. But that was the point!

Best advise I can give you would be to start in autumn. That way, your somewhat used to the game, at least for now.

When you get the warning for a giant, stop what your doing and run! Giants spawn more reliably than the vanilla version. Unless your somewhat ready for them, they'll make quick work of you or your base or your food supply.

Make seasonal clothing before you need it. As you probably know already, autumn is the vanilla summer so it gives you a chance to get your feet a little wet and explore. Each season has its own challenges and ways of dealing with them. Clothing is the best way, imo.

Turn off some of the features that are giving you trouble until you get used to the new mechanics, then turn them on and see what you've been missing!

I had problems with the summer fires and frog rain so I turned them off until I lasted the year. Then turned them back on and wished I didn't! But the second time I got used to it and now they're no problem.

Before you know, you'll be back to surviving over 700 days with all the new content and you'll be loving it, just like me!

The new content definitely makes it harder. But that was the point!

Best advise I can give you would be to start in autumn. That way, your somewhat used to the game, at least for now.

When you get the warning for a giant, stop what your doing and run! Giants spawn more reliably than the vanilla version. Unless your somewhat ready for them, they'll make quick work of you or your base or your food supply.

Make seasonal clothing before you need it. As you probably know already, autumn is the vanilla summer so it gives you a chance to get your feet a little wet and explore. Each season has its own challenges and ways of dealing with them. Clothing is the best way, imo.

Turn off some of the features that are giving you trouble until you get used to the new mechanics, then turn them on and see what you've been missing!

I had problems with the summer fires and frog rain so I turned them off until I lasted the year. Then turned them back on and wished I didn't! But the second time I got used to it and now they're no problem.

Before you know, you'll be back to surviving over 700 days with all the new content and you'll be loving it, just like me!

That's what I did on my third try. I was stupid to run into my Beefalos :(.

How do you kill it when the Deer is supposed to have that AoE ice attack? I can't find any chance to kite it yet.

The AOE range isn't as large as it looks. When I get him chasing me to an open area I'll almost always have ice spring up around me when he gets close enough to attack. Never get hurt.

Plant a long row of trees and get him to knock them down the first winter. TreeGuards should spawn and let them get into it. You can watch or help out. That's what I do my first winter since I don't normally have the gear to fight him.

If that's not your style, get 2 log suits, 2 helmets, a ham bat or 2 Spears and let him swing, run in and get a couple hits then run out. You'll figure out the timing (or you wouldn't have made it to day 700). Make sure you have alot of Jerky or some other sanity regeneration plus health. DO NOT let him hit you twice in a row or your gone. He will now freeze you solid, which is probably the bigger threat.

There's a thread somewhere in which the OP did gif's on killing all the Giants. Maybe Truthseeker will see this and post a link.

It is possible, but hard until you get used to it.

The summer Giant is the worse, but I'll let you discover that on your own.

Good luck! Let me know how it works out.

The AOE range isn't as large as it looks. When I get him chasing me to an open area I'll almost always have ice spring up around me when he gets close enough to attack. Never get hurt.

Plant a long row of trees and get him to knock them down the first winter. TreeGuards should spawn and let them get into it. You can watch or help out. That's what I do my first winter since I don't normally have the gear to fight him.

If that's not your style, get 2 log suits, 2 helmets, a ham bat or 2 Spears and let him swing, run in and get a couple hits then run out. You'll figure out the timing (or you wouldn't have made it to day 700). Make sure you have alot of Jerky or some other sanity regeneration plus health. DO NOT let him hit you twice in a row or your gone. He will now freeze you solid, which is probably the bigger threat.

There's a thread somewhere in which the OP did gif's on killing all the Giants. Maybe Truthseeker will see this and post a link.

It is possible, but hard until you get used to it.

The summer Giant is the worse, but I'll let you discover that on your own.

Good luck! Let me know how it works out.

That Frankenstein monster created when a dragon falls in love with a fly? Or that Duck with a Goose horn.

IMO ... It depends on you what way you should survive.

Anyway my tips for you is when you know that summer is coming you should mine some ice rocks (I forgot what should I call that) so that you are already prepared.Then , when you find a touchstone you should leave some supplies like ice hat for summer then a vest for winter so reviving with a touchstone will seems not to waste and you can go home to your base safely and happily ever after.

RoG is easiest since catcoons are OP companions.

OP? They need 10 or more jumps to even hit glommer once ... even when I'm pushing the glommer against the catcoon.

ice rocks (I forgot what should I call that)

glaciers

My 700 days of survival in the original version is nothing.

I can't get past 60 days in the RoG version yet.

First try (35days)- Deerclops smashed my base and I'm frozen to death.

Second try (60days)-Summer burns all of my stuff.

Third try (37days)- Deerclops again. This time killed all of my Beefalos in existence (RIP). This one is the most frustrating because I got Ice Flingomatic, racks, and everything ready already :(

On the plus side.... at least I have lots of EXP to unlock characters :(.

In the vanilla version the Deerclops will spawn very shortly after you hear his growl. However this has been changed in Reign of Giants, so you have more than enough time to get out of the base.

I would recommend to prepare a giants bag with log suits, tentacle spike, stack of healing item and a pan flute/sleep darts. (Sleeping items are some kind of a last rescue if you are forced to stop the fight)

Kiting him is best done on streets. Just grab your giants bag, run to a nearby street with nothing important around it and slay it. I know this sounds far too easy but the deerclops has very low health and is easy to kite. You just have to avoid getting hit twice in a row otherwise ... I think the beefalo showed it to you. Oh and never lead a giant to beefalos. (I know this hint is a little bit outdated for you :p)

You can avoid him but I would really recommend to kill him at all costs. You will thank me in the following two seasons because the eyebrella is just awesome!

IMO ... It depends on you what way you should survive.

Anyway my tips for you is when you know that summer is coming you should mine some ice rocks (I forgot what should I call that) so that you are already prepared.Then , when you find a touchstone you should leave some supplies like ice hat for summer then a vest for winter so reviving with a touchstone will seems not to waste and you can go home to your base safely and happily ever after.

I mine glaciers. I guess I just got so used to preparing for winter summer totally slips my mind until I start burning to death. :v

I lead Giants to my Beefalo after the first or second year, depending on the amount of Beefalo. They take out 3 of the 4 fairly easily in huge numbers.

I lead a Firefly to them once and he took out a ton of them before he turned ever so slightly and I somehow burned to death. Weird cause I wasn't even in his AOE! Sooooo, I don't do that anymore.

I mine glaciers. I guess I just got so used to preparing for winter summer totally slips my mind until I start burning to death. :v

In my opinion you should find out if you're in autumn or spring first before preparing to survive either summer or winter. If you have it set to randomly put you in either, I mean.

Good indication of spring seems to be when it rains frogs several times in a row, either that or i'm just really unlucky.

Yup, you're just a noob. What I do, is get ready for giants. This means get all my weapons, armor and healing items ready at the beginning of Spring and at the end of Autumn, Summer and Winter. Does this solve your problem?

Question: isn't that a good thing that you at least get EXP for unlocking new characters? No? Well then no wonder you put a sad face at the end of that sentence...

Eh, no. The sad face is just like "I'm ready for Summer!~~" *curbstomped dead*

But to be honest, I must be BEEPing lucky in the vanilla game: from all these 700+ days I find no Deerclops at all (I never change anything in the game so I think it is originally set as default). That's why I struggle at fighting it.

I start in Autumn for RoG and use Wilson.

Thanks everyone for the tips. Day 5 in a new save. So far so prepared (except for healing salve, the spider den is still tier1).

In my opinion you should find out if you're in autumn or spring first before preparing to survive either summer or winter. If you have it set to randomly put you in either, I mean.

Good indication of spring seems to be when it rains frogs several times in a row, either that or i'm just really unlucky.

I've only had it rain frogs once throughout all of my plays.

Rabbit holes is great for telling which season you start in. I also look at the length of the day. Long = autumn. Short = spring.

I have frog rain settings at default and have only gotten like 3 of them in 780ish days! When I didn't want them (first 2 Springs) I'd get them. Now nothing!! Stupid Maxwell!

Archived